Tips/advice building first motor in garage

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 May 2018, 02:28 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Tips/advice building first motor in garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcabe1 View Post
I know how to use plastigage, I know about cleanliness, and I know about chasing threads, but what should I know about the rest? And plastigage is just a double check method, but you should always use a micrometer, is that correct? I also know about torque to yield vs torque to spec.
IMO micrometers and spring gauges are great for checking used parts for taper, out of round, etc. ....or if you buy junk like an eagle crank since they are known to polish journals into an hourglass shape.

i borrowed micrometers since they each only measure an inch so by the time you get a 1", 2", 3", & 4" calibrated micrometers you can trust, like a matco or starrett, you're going to be spending a good amount of cash.

i do not think you'll be measuring bearing clearances with a micrometer. you'd need an actual bore gauge and about 10 years of practice to be more accurate than the plastigage. plastigage is IMO accurate enough that if you really pay attention and do every journal you can see which strips are fattest and which are narrowest and then mix and match move around the bearing halves to try to get them more balanced out.

"building a motor" is very vague. you may get better advice if people knew are you using new, freshly machined parts? are you just going to put in new rings and bearings, cam, bolt on's n stuff?