PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Tips/advice building first motor in garage

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 May 2018, 09:50 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Tips/advice building first motor in garage

If anyone can give me tips on building my first a853 motor Id be very grateful. I believe I know what parts I need but what I really need to know is what tools I should invest in and precautions to take.
Old 17 May 2018, 06:55 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Tips/advice building first motor in garage

get a few books on building the engine before you start. last time i built a motor, i got 3 books it before i touched anything. one is very good and i learned a lot, the others are just common sense/general knowledge crap, like they just published them to sell books.

have you built motors before? do you know the basics, chasing threads, using plastigage, lubing under bolt heads before torquing, setting crankshaft end play, installing bearings with the back side dry, etc?
Old 17 May 2018, 09:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

And lets not forget learn the difference between a "motor" and an "engine"

The real difference, is the fact that "motors" run on electricity, while "engines" run on combustion.

The Oxford English Dictionary defines “motor” as a machine that supplies motive power for a vehicle or other device with moving parts. Similarly, it tells us that an engine is a machine with moving parts that converts power into motion.

But as I am only making fun of Rob...

An engine is a specific type of motor. That's why it's not incorrect to speak of a motorboat, or a motorcar, or a motor speedway, even if the boat or car is clearly powered by combustion.

I know if I talked to my customers in the past that came to my Performance Engine Machine shop about their "motor" I think my business would have failed very quickly. I mean who wants to run a Top Fuel "MOTOR"?
Although it is more appropriate to say "BLOWN MOTOR" vs BLOWN ENGINE" one referring to a Supercharger and the other not. A "blown engine" is referring to an engine that is fricked up beyond all possible repair and a BLOWN MOTOR is very "KOOL".

And we have have terms like "KEEP ON MOTORING" which would just sound dumb to "KEEP ON ENGINING"?

rob302 likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 17 May 2018, 09:44 am
Veteran Cruiser

if you can say "stahl converter", i can say "motor". when lying about nitrous before a street race, the accepted term is "all motor", no? besides two and a half liters of fury isn't really much of an "engine"
NitroPT likes this.

Last edited by rob302; 17 May 2018 at 09:49 am.
Old 17 May 2018, 10:18 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob302 View Post
if you can say "stahl converter", i can say "motor". when lying about nitrous before a street race, the accepted term is "all motor", no? besides two and a half liters of fury isn't really much of an "engine"
LOL...good one

You know it is always funny on forums mostly this one that a simple word misspelled by some or my personal favorite improper GRAMMAR can cause such power to overwhelm someone into the mighty high horse to imply everything in the content of the topic from that person must be dismissed because if this mistake was made then all the information must be flawed. ROLMAO..

on another comment to respond to ....
Hmmm so my tiny 1.6 with 240 before the nitrous and LPG is is no fury.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 18 May 2018, 07:05 am
Veteran Cruiser

Clean, clean, clean. Make sure you clean every damned part. The biggest killer to most rebuilds is dirt. Dirt can score the pistons and bearings and even seize oil pumps. If it isn't clean, don't reinstall it until it is clean.

Farts are just ghosts of the things we eat.
Old 18 May 2018, 10:31 am
Regular Cruiser

I know how to use plastigage, I know about cleanliness, and I know about chasing threads, but what should I know about the rest? And plastigage is just a double check method, but you should always use a micrometer, is that correct? I also know about torque to yield vs torque to spec.
Old 18 May 2018, 10:32 am
Regular Cruiser

Oh yeah I also know about the back side dry bearing thing. Definitely don't want to make it easier to spin bearings! lol
Old 18 May 2018, 10:34 am
Regular Cruiser

Tools! I must know what tools I need! Currently all I have is a basic duralast set. I also have a torque wrench. I will be investing in an engine stand and hoist soon. What else do I need.
Old 18 May 2018, 11:19 am
Veteran Cruiser

feeler gauges
red and green plastigage
those are bare minimum what you need for measuring clearances

antisieze and assembly lube should be on hand and considered tools, because if you don't have them you won't use them.

get a REAL ring compressor. -> https://www.summitracing.com/parts/w...8750/overview/
do not my any means even look at the corrugated band type they sell at local parts stores. this is something i learned the hard way. i broke a ring and had to buy another set for $120. my friend called me a dipshit. i said "here you try it" and his ring broke too. the style i linked to you can push the piston in with your thumbs using very little effort. no adjusting, no tapping, no hammering, no breaking stuff.

and the books.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Last edited by rob302; 18 May 2018 at 01:22 pm.