Changing Muffler

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 May 2019, 05:26 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Changing Muffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
geeeeez... looks like you were right FK5....

MY PT Cruiser averaged overall mid to high 20's not mid 30 mpg. My Mazda gets mid to high 30 and my 1.6 MINI gets about the same as the PT.

Sorry dude I was wrong. To many cars...hey but when I am wrong I will say so.

sorry!!
No worries.

I do pretty good with mine. Seats and extra weight out, high psi (usually 40-42 psi) and some hypermiling techniques, including a lot of coasting with my 5 speed. If there were a way to get high 30's I'd be all over it. When my Dad had it I used to do better with my efi V8 Imperial, but that was because I had a 2.21 rear gear and ran regular unleaded compared to his super.
rob302 likes this.
Old 18 May 2019, 10:33 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
Now that I have completely hijacked the muffler thread... do you have any more to add about the water meth system? Where did you put the nozzle? I plan to add a homebrew system. I know that you can put the nozzle in the intake and tune for it and probably get the best results. I am more interested as a failsafe - i hear that in that case, I should put it ahead of the IAT so that the car reads the cooler charge and adjusts accordingly. What are your thoughts?

I know I am continuing the hijack, but shelbyZ is pretty big on mods and I assume he is interested. I have been planning mine for 2-3 years, so he will probably add one before me even if he has never considered it.
PT Cruiser:
spray into intake just after TB to cool complete air charge.

I really like this placement on most everything. Mounting nozzles closer may help support higher power levels but as I have noticed only short term while mounting a spray closer to the TB so it can do a better job seems to have more overall benefits.

The PT Cruiser dinosaur antiquated ECU don't expect much in the way of ECU making to many changes on its own.
Fk5 likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 20 May 2019, 02:24 pm
Cool Cruiser

Best mpg I have gotten so far with my 5-speed GT is 23.8 This is with about 95% highway mileage going from 68 to 74 mph. I would really like to get upper 20's
2007 PT Cruiser GT 5-speed 17x8 Konig Inception wheels K&N style intake auto throttle body Spec D tail lights Blow off plate 10.2mm plug wires Cat-Back "DNA Motoring" exhaust w/ Thrush glasspack "blacked out" DIY ground effects added boost gauge (in place of analog clock)

Last edited by shelbyzman; 20 May 2019 at 03:20 pm.
Old 20 May 2019, 04:38 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbyzman View Post
Best mpg I have gotten so far with my 5-speed GT is 23.8 This is with about 95% highway mileage going from 68 to 74 mph. I would really like to get upper 20's
Check your tire pressures, stay out of boost, slower the better within reason. A solid 50-55 probably gets the best. My Dad's SRT8 6 speed and the PT would cross over around 80 mph, his mpg would be better than the PTs. I do a decent amount of coasting. I don't know that I would recommend it, but going up to red lights/stop signs and around ramps. Dad taught me to drive on the 4 speed 'cuda. When you get 8-10 mpg, every little bit helps. I can usually do 12 in it if I am careful. You can use an ultra-gauge or similar to make sure you are doing your best. Alignment is good. You have aftermarket rims and tires. What is the circumference? That can make a difference. I generally get between 24 and 27.

Last edited by Fk5; 20 May 2019 at 05:44 pm.
Old 21 May 2019, 08:21 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Check your tire pressures, stay out of boost, slower the better within reason. A solid 50-55 probably gets the best. My Dad's SRT8 6 speed and the PT would cross over around 80 mph, his mpg would be better than the PTs. I do a decent amount of coasting. I don't know that I would recommend it, but going up to red lights/stop signs and around ramps. Dad taught me to drive on the 4 speed 'cuda. When you get 8-10 mpg, every little bit helps. I can usually do 12 in it if I am careful. You can use an ultra-gauge or similar to make sure you are doing your best. Alignment is good. You have aftermarket rims and tires. What is the circumference? That can make a difference. I generally get between 24 and 27.
I have about 38 psi in my tires. I try not to hotrod much at all...but sometimes I do (what is the point of the turbo if I don't get to utilize it sometimes, lol). I drive about 45 minutes/one way to work everyday (95% highway). My alignment is great. My wheels/tires don't help anything. They are 8" wide but are about the same circumference as stock (speedometer is only off by half a mile per hour/showing I'm going a little slower than I really am)...but it didn't get much better mpg with the stock wheels/tires.
2007 PT Cruiser GT 5-speed 17x8 Konig Inception wheels K&N style intake auto throttle body Spec D tail lights Blow off plate 10.2mm plug wires Cat-Back "DNA Motoring" exhaust w/ Thrush glasspack "blacked out" DIY ground effects added boost gauge (in place of analog clock)
Old 21 May 2019, 08:56 am
Senior Cruiser

If your speedometer reads slower, then your mpg will (however slightly) be better than you will be getting by doing the math using the odometer. One major factor is time spent idling. Just a few seconds of warm up and be on the way. If you beat on it, a bit of cool down so the oil doesn't coke in the turbo lines. My wife tends to start to car and get the temperature where she likes it before she even moves and sits in the a/c waiting for people outside of stores, etc. Makes sense when she has the baby, but it can be excessive. This causes her to get like 3+mpg less than I do. Her daughter is even worse - had her Dart down to 21, while I was over 30. The 'cuda was the family car from when I was 3 until my teens and it has black leather seats and you could not get a/c with the track pack, so I guess I am used to it.
Old 21 May 2019, 09:10 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Best mpg I have gotten ... is 23.8... would really like to get upper 20's
Sounds about right. Fact is the PT Cruiser's .38 drag coefficient is more like a truck than a sedan. Being cute cost mpg.
Fk5 likes this.
Old 22 May 2019, 08:00 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by circus View Post
Sounds about right. Fact is the PT Cruiser's .38 drag coefficient is more like a truck than a sedan. Being cute cost mpg.
Yes, I think this is a big reason why the mpg drops so steeply as speed rises. The o/d isn't particularly tall either.
Old 22 May 2019, 08:28 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
If your speedometer reads slower, then your mpg will (however slightly) be better than you will be getting by doing the math using the odometer. One major factor is time spent idling. Just a few seconds of warm up and be on the way. If you beat on it, a bit of cool down so the oil doesn't coke in the turbo lines. My wife tends to start to car and get the temperature where she likes it before she even moves and sits in the a/c waiting for people outside of stores, etc. Makes sense when she has the baby, but it can be excessive. This causes her to get like 3+mpg less than I do. Her daughter is even worse - had her Dart down to 21, while I was over 30. The 'cuda was the family car from when I was 3 until my teens and it has black leather seats and you could not get a/c with the track pack, so I guess I am used to it.
I try to let it idle for a little while after I get to where I'm going. My driveway is on a hill, so I coast half way down our street into our driveway I had a 5-speed (non-turbo) PT and it got around 28 or so...wasn't as fast though
Old 23 May 2019, 08:47 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Just ordered this muffler on ebay for $10 shipped!https://www.ebay.com/itm/352609190690 Is there anyway I can get around having to take it to a muffler shop to change it out on my GT, using clamps or something?
Thanks to this thread...
1 ordered 2 of these for my Ram ,to replace the rusty cherry bomb xtremes