PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Changing Muffler

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 May 2019, 03:57 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Changing Muffler

Just ordered this muffler on ebay for $10 shipped!https://www.ebay.com/itm/352609190690 Is there anyway I can get around having to take it to a muffler shop to change it out on my GT, using clamps or something?
2007 PT Cruiser GT 5-speed 17x8 Konig Inception wheels K&N style intake auto throttle body Spec D tail lights Blow off plate 10.2mm plug wires Cat-Back "DNA Motoring" exhaust w/ Thrush glasspack "blacked out" DIY ground effects added boost gauge (in place of analog clock)
Old 17 May 2019, 08:46 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Changing Muffler

Not really. That muffler to install on a PT with claps would be a PIA

My advise return it and get a "*Cheri Bomb" or performance *glass pack. You will be able to install it with clamps if you must do it that way and they have the CFM flow.
If you do buy a 2.5 in and out and use reducers with the clamps. This way when you get around to building a better exhaust system you will already have an appropriate muffler to use.

Sometimes you must spend a little more money to do it correct!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 17 May 2019 at 08:52 am.
Old 17 May 2019, 11:57 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Not really. That muffler to install on a PT with claps would be a PIA

My advise return it and get a "*Cheri Bomb" or performance *glass pack. You will be able to install it with clamps if you must do it that way and they have the CFM flow.
If you do buy a 2.5 in and out and use reducers with the clamps. This way when you get around to building a better exhaust system you will already have an appropriate muffler to use.

Sometimes you must spend a little more money to do it correct!
Great info! Thanks
2007 PT Cruiser GT 5-speed 17x8 Konig Inception wheels K&N style intake auto throttle body Spec D tail lights Blow off plate 10.2mm plug wires Cat-Back "DNA Motoring" exhaust w/ Thrush glasspack "blacked out" DIY ground effects added boost gauge (in place of analog clock)
Old 17 May 2019, 12:00 pm
Cool Cruiser

I had though about not running any muffler at all, but I don't want the "drone" at highway speeds.
Old 17 May 2019, 12:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Glass Pack..

And although I still run the CAT the glass pack is NOT obnoxious.

You may notice my aftermarket fan is louder then the exhaust at idle.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 17 May 2019, 12:26 pm
Cool Cruiser

Nice! Did you notice any better performance or just the sound?
Old 17 May 2019, 01:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbyzman View Post
Nice! Did you notice any better performance or just the sound?
Running with no muffler you will most likely lose some power! Both the bottom and top end. You may pick up some mid range power but I never tested that on the DYNO so not absolutely sure. .Why would why? Either I am trying to get best MPG or the quickest ET's. LOL The exception to no CAT and muffler if you run boost above 20psi,get an ECU Performance calibration and change your MAP sensors. Then you will just piss off all your neighbors and be restricted to which tracks will allow you run on making all that noise.

The sound level on my system was not very much if any real decibel increases over the stock PT GT exhaust system. My design was to create a system as straight as possible and no larger then 2.5 I.D. for best CFM to 8000rpm and 19psi boost max.

I ran Nitorus 75 shoot resulting in consistent 12's all day long week after week over 75 runs on the track (Sacramento Raceway) with very few engine mods. My 0-60 MPG is just at or under 6 seconds. Oh and I get high 30's MPG on average and my AC works just fine in the summer with water temperatures never exceeding 195F even on a summer day of an ambient 110F+.
dougs likes this.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 17 May 2019, 01:36 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Running with no muffler you will most likely lose some power! Both the bottom and top end. You may pick up some mid range power but I never tested that on the DYNO so not absolutely sure. .Why would why? Either I am trying to get best MPG or the quickest ET's. LOL The exception to no CAT and muffler if you run boost above 20psi,get an ECU Performance calibration and change your MAP sensors. Then you will just piss off all your neighbors and be restricted to which tracks will allow you run on making all that noise.

The sound level on my system was not very much if any real decibel increases over the stock PT GT exhaust system. My design was to create a system as straight as possible and no larger then 2.5 I.D. for best CFM to 8000rpm and 19psi boost max.

I ran Nitorus 75 shoot resulting in consistent 12's all day long week after week over 75 runs on the track (Sacramento Raceway) with very few engine mods. My 0-60 MPG is just at or under 6 seconds. Oh and I get high 30's MPG on average and my AC works just fine in the summer with water temperatures never exceeding 195F even on a summer day of an ambient 110F+.
I am calling bullshit on this one. Unless it is a typo. You meant high 20's, right? You may have seen 30, but you have never seen "high 30's" unless you rolled it downhill in idle. I am skeptical of the high 20's too, but these things did/do not see high 30's.
Old 17 May 2019, 02:31 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbyzman View Post
Just ordered this muffler on ebay for $10 shipped!https://www.ebay.com/itm/352609190690 Is there anyway I can get around having to take it to a muffler shop to change it out on my GT, using clamps or something?
If it fits I don't see why not. Looks like a good muffler. Sure is a bargain. Though a welder makes life easier there are many cheap adapters, reducers etc that'll work. As long as the rest of the pipes are good. Turbo's give you the flow without the noise.

PS You will need some tools. Can you cut pipe? etc

Last edited by circus; 17 May 2019 at 02:41 pm. Reason: PS
Old 17 May 2019, 02:59 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by circus View Post
If it fits I don't see why not. Looks like a good muffler. Sure is a bargain. Though a welder makes life easier there are many cheap adapters, reducers etc that'll work. As long as the rest of the pipes are good. Turbo's give you the flow without the noise.

PS You will need some tools. Can you cut pipe? etc
Yeah...I couldn't believe the price! I don't understand how $10 even covers shipping costs. I have a cousin that welds but I don't get up that way very often. Couldn't pass this price up