PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Where to start???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Jul 2004, 06:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ptdreamer
Default Where to start???

Oh well, better just jump in with both feet... First off, I've been poking around these forums for a little over a month and I am most impressed with differing levels of expertise and how ready everyone is to help out one another. It's pretty cool.

So here goes, I've got an '04 Dream Series III and I'm looking to dress it up a little more. When it comes to the aesthetics to make it LOOK good- trim, chrome, lights, etc. - no problem. When it come to liftin' the hood - forget it - I'm a total novice. Not afraid to get in there, but I'm gonn need direction and help.
So where do we start? I'm just looking for suggestion with what to start with. What works well vs. what looks good.
Air Intake? Is it worth it. What type?
What about dual exaust? Will it do more than look sweet? Catback or Axle-back? Brands.
Any and all help appreciated. What can I do myself, what should I see a Pro about?Thanks

PS: My dad just got his new InfernoRed '05 GT Covert - we'll be looking for mods for it too.
Old 27 Jul 2004, 07:00 pm
Regular Cruiser

ptdreamer,

I've got two things on my PT GT to boost performance (one improves sound too), that are highly effective and I would recommend them above all others. Both of these items are designed for our GT's and sold by Chrysler.

1) Stage 1 Turbo upgrade. $359, +20 horsepower, quicker shifts. For your car, if you can unplug wires and remove a couple of screws you can replace the electronic control module (engine and trans computer) that comprises the stage 1 upgrade.

2) Mopar stainless steel dual exhaust for the turbo - designed by Chrysler, but made by Borla. $406, +5 horsepower (debatable), great mellow sound that won't bother your conversation with your passengers or radio listening enjoyment, great looking dual tips. This is also an easy install, but realistically requires some mechanical experience. A muffler shop can easily do it - or the dealership.

I guess when you add those two up, it ain't cheap - but you get what you pay for. Save your money and do these first (in my humble opinion).
Old 27 Jul 2004, 07:08 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

ptdreamer, in addition to the two good suggestions made by JohnM, I would suggest that you use the Search feature of the forum as you will find some great information/PICS there since the data base has expanded significantly during the past year. Good luck and enjoy your new ride.
Old 27 Jul 2004, 08:51 pm
Regular Cruiser

ptdreamer;

I agree with JohnM, he nailed it. I've got the MOPAR dual exhaust and love them. I had BTG's but they were way to loud for me. I've been holding out for Stage II Turbo Kit but it looks like it's not going to happen. I'll give it another month and then go with Stage I and that will be the end of it.

[8)]
04 GT Inferno Red Loaded, Mopar Dual Exhaust, K&N Air Filter, Mopar Cabin Air Filter, Mopar BOV Kit, Blane Hood Struts, Strut Tower Brace, Kaiser Custom 17\" Wheels, Nankang Sport NS-1 225/45R17 Tires, Custom Decals, TYC Back-up Lights, LED Glow Lights in and out, Red Fuzzy Dice, Yet To Go; Mopar Stage-2 Turbo Kit, Mopar Stage-2 Suspension, Custom Paint.
Old 28 Jul 2004, 02:16 am
Cool Cruiser

[^][?]just sit tight! What you've heard so far is good but I recommend you spend a few weeks monitoring what people have to say about their mods. I'm pleased so far with mine but you may want more show than go. And your dad may want to go drag racing!! So keep your savings coming in each week, talk to your wife and Dad.

[8)]
Old 28 Jul 2004, 09:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'm gonna jump in and make a couple suggestions.

-AMX1397 "Brand X" intake pipe. Definitley worth the money and can be used with your stock airbox. This makes a difference in the midrange and top end. It replaces the stock intake pipe and its built in silencer. You get better airflow and you can actually here the turbo spool up and hear the stock BOV.

AMX1397 no longer resides on this forum but you'll find him here along with info on the intake pipe. http://www.ptcruise.com/forums/

-K&N panel filter. Works well when used in conjunction with the above mentioned intake pipe.

-Mopar/Borla "Turbo" dual exhaust. It's debatable whether dual exhaust actually helps any. This system is 2 1/2" compared to the 2 1/4" stock exhaust. You'll get better flow which equals some more power. The sound is cool. The PT turbo should come with this exhaust from the factory. Even if you don't want to go with duals, at least go for a 2 1/2" single outlet system.

-Stage 1 would probably give the best "bang for the buck". I don't don't have it on my car yet. I want to join the club, but can't afford the membership fee at the moment (got the credit card bills from my CTF4/Niagara trip... No more mods for me for a little while.[:0]). From all the testimonials on this forum it sounds like it can't be beat.

The best thing to do is monitor this and other PT forums. Ask questions. You'll get a pretty good idea from people what's worth the time and money and what's not.

Jon
2003 GT - Patriot Blue. Mopar/Borla \"Turbo\" 2.5\" dual exhaust, K&N panel filter, AMX1397 intake pipe, dual guage pod, Autometer Phantom boost and volt guages, shorty antenna, back-up light trim rings, Streamline logo flames & antenna bezel flames(purple/blue color change), airbag flames(chrome), headlight flames, wheel center logos, billet doorlock pulls, racing pedals, Sylvania Silver Star headlight & turn signal bulbs- front & rear, \"super white\" foglight bulbs, \"clear marker\" tail lights, purple washer LEDs, hi-note horn, brushed billet fuel door, body color antenna bezel, cabin air filter.
Old 29 Jul 2004, 09:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for all the valuable info & suggestions.
I had heard good things about the Chrysler cat-back, but I didn't know they were Borla. That's actually reassuring. If I go with that, maybe I can find a set somewhere and then just have Chrysler install 'em for me - maybe save a few $$$

Gary - You scare me - you have waaay too much time on your hands - but hey, as long as your wife is happy and she lets you play R&D with the PT - more power to ya...[?] I must say tho, that your list of mods is incredible, especially all the details you post about 'em. Great resources.

Blue- I've read a lot of positive feedback on the AMX, and by comparison, it seems a fairly reasonable price for the mod.

John, Chili - I've kinda heard the same thing about BTG's being loud. I personally like a 'little rumble' but I'm not looking to be heard coming 6 blocks away either.

Someone(I don't remember who) posted info about the "Hearthrob" dual cat-back with twin glass-packed muffs. Looked sweet alright, but glass-packs aren't exactly known for their subtlety.

I'll keep poking around the forums here - there's a lot of info to disseminate - I have Cristal tastes, but unfortunately I only have a Budweiser budget.[^]

I've also heard different takes on the K&N drop-ins. I know they'll fit the stock airbox, but are tbey really worth it?? [:I]

Whatever I decide to do is going to require saving up for. Thanks for eveyone's input, pls keep it coming. [8D]
Old 29 Jul 2004, 09:38 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ptdreamer
...I've also heard different takes on the K&N drop-ins. I know they'll fit the stock airbox, but are tbey really worth it??...
YES. [|)] From my experience after replacing the stock paper air filter with a "drop-in" K&N performance filter I noticed that the turbo spooled up quicker. Also, from everything I have read, keep the stock airbox (but remove the white "donut" silencer and install the AMX Turbo-Up Pipe) if you plan to go with STAGE 1 because this is "better" (?...so I have heard) than replacing it with a CAI when running STAGE1.

Good luck.

PS: ptdreamer, please keep in mind that it has taken me almost a year to get my Cruiser "in shape"--think I'm almost "DONE". [8D]
Old 29 Jul 2004, 10:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

When it comes to our PTs - Are we truly ever done?
Or just done for now??
Old 30 Jul 2004, 11:12 am
Fresh Cruiser

[?]That's a good point-we are only done with the mods for the moment!Every time you think that you are done, or slowing down, you will see a new product, or see a PT at a car show that has a mod that you think will look good. The best part is seeing what everyone else has done, because there are so many different ways of changing that neat little car. It can look modern and sort of fast/racey, it can look like a sedan from the 40's/50's, it can be a woody from the surf/world, it can look like delivery/sedan (like a Helm's Bakery truck, does anyone remember those, with the distinctive whistle as they cruised your neighborhood?).
What does PT stand for? Party Time!