PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Seem To Be Losing Some Power

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Jul 2004, 02:57 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Seem To Be Losing Some Power

Looking for some of your thoughts.

Over the last several months I noticed - without any scientific test -that I seem to be slower of the line than I use to be. Have Stage 1, air box mods, AMX Air box down pipe, Flowmaster exhaust.

Could I be losing boost without knowing it - (no boost controller) or is the hot & humid weather causing me to be slower.

I did an unofficial timing of 0-60 and did it in 6.9. Always thought I was faster than that.

Old 28 Jul 2004, 03:33 pm
Cool Cruiser

I would check to make sure all of your intake and vacuum lines are attached. You could be losing boost, but it could be any number of other things too.

It's also possible that you've just gotten used to the performance level.
Old 28 Jul 2004, 10:17 pm
Cool Cruiser

If you have an auto-stick, you can try and disconnect the battery for 15 minutes and run a re-learn procedure on the car. Over time, the PCM will adjust yo your driving habits (or at least its suppose to). In addition, the summer heat does have alot to do with decrease in 1/4 mile times.
Old 29 Jul 2004, 12:31 am
Young Cruiser

If you suspect boost loss, inspect all your clamps ( @ intercooler connection, intake pipe connection, and hot side turbo connection).

With mine, all the connections were fine except hot side turbo clamp. It took about 4 to 5 turns to tighten it. I figure I gained few lbs of boost ( have boost gauge but not installed yet) by noticable improvement in power.

Old 25 Aug 2004, 08:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to retroman715

Damn!!! 6.9 sec. 0-60 .... Thats pretty respectable still. Check your intake hoses and clamps.....remember when its 90 degrees and humid outside your Turbo is not getting a very dense charge of air which = a significant power loss. Wait til it cools off and then see, but check the hoses and clamps just to be sure.

retroman [?]
Old 25 Aug 2004, 10:55 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

That's my deal, I get used to the power. I still boost b/n 13 and 16psi. But until your in another or a stock GT, you forget the difference.
Humidity, temp can all impact performance. My car was flying tonight as it was a beautiful low humidity night tonight.

2003 GT Inferno Red,5-spd,Eibach Springs,Koni Sport Adjustables, Eibach front and rear Sway Bars, Mopar Stage 1,Mopar BOV,Custom 2.5\" Dual Tip Exhaust (Magnaflow),Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Pioneer DEH6500 Headunit, RF Punch 300 and 301 Amps,RF 12\" Sub and MB Quart Reference and Premium Speakers,Ronal RT 17x7.5\'s with Michelin Pilot Sport 225/45ZR17s, Koni Adjustible shocks, Keystone single scoop, GT Airraid Intake, Mopar Ground Effects
Homepage:
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ptgtredman

http://blueman.ptenthusiasts.net/index.html
Old 28 Aug 2004, 10:54 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to tthrift

depending on how many miles you have on you car. i found that around 10,000 miles for my car the ucp rubber stock hose was swelling under boost and not giving me full boost. at first i install a new one a got my boost back and after i install Adam's vak system i haven't had any more boost loss.

hope this helps
tommy
Old 28 Aug 2004, 12:49 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

When I changed out my plugs, I found that they were ALL:

1) Clean and not worn
2) Slightly over spec for gap

3) BLOWN OUT AND LEAKING BETWEEN THE CERAMIC CORE AND THE METAL SHELL

New plugs brought back the old low end grunt that I was missing, starting was back to first time pull, there was no stop light miss, and the high end was back to smooth as silk.[8)]
Old 28 Aug 2004, 05:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Gapping the plugs @40 instead of the factor spec of 50 WILL give you some extra punch..