PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2005 GT Convertible - Best Dual Exhaust???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Aug 2004, 10:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to MACE
Default 2005 GT Convertible - Best Dual Exhaust???

Hey Gang:

In my quest to get the best (aka most increase in HP/Torque) Dual Cat-back exhaust for my new 2005 GT Convertible, I've only come across one brand that claims their kit fits my car...BTG...check out what they say when I question them about a 2 1/2 inch system -vs- their 2 1/4 inch system:

"The buzz right now is marketing big systems. Many companies have got the PT market thinking they even need a 3 inch system. The bottom line is our system which is mandrel bent 2.25" tubing will flow more than the competing 2.5" systems because it does not neck down into a muffler and then bleed off the gasses to another pipe. The secret is the least amount of global restriction achieved through a minimal amount of bends and the smoothest transitions. That is why we add a Y pipe at the rear axle to separate the flow for both tips which means our tips flow and scavenge the exhaust gasses equally. To my knowledge there isn't another mandrel bent stainless steel system on the market that does this"

***So, is this all hyper-marketing BS or does BTG make the only dual cat-back system that flows through both tips?

I checked out Borla who Mopar resells/rebadges for the 2004 GT turbo (but both Borla/Mopar won't yet certify it for my 2005 GT convertible)...their system is 2 1/2 inches...if it fits the 2005 GT convetible, will it flow through both tips and thus offer more flow...aka more HP/Torque gains?

Finally...downpipes...just one brand out there so far, right? Forget the name but I've seen posts on this...just to verify, what is the best downpipe out ther for our 2.4 HO Turbos? I believe I should install both the downpipe and dual cat-back exhaust at the same time, right?

Thanks in advance!

(2005 GT Covertible, Mopar BOV, VAK System)
Old 09 Aug 2004, 12:52 pm
Regular Cruiser

look into the Flowmaster pipes. I called them and talked to one of the salesmen for over 30 minutes. Very impressive. He talked about the testing/research that is done and it made a believer of me. They also have some tech tips on their site

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/cgi-bin/flowmaster

they talk about pipe diameter (our little motors only flow so much volume), the correct lenght for tail pipe pieces, etc. He says their system was almost too quiet when they tested it.

They offer a true dual exhaust, mandrel bent, and 10-15 year lifespan materials. they sell for about the going rate, $375 for cat back.

Mike
Old 09 Aug 2004, 05:37 pm
Senior Cruiser

RE: BTG's response. Mopar has been in the business a lot longer than BTG. If their evaluation is that the Borla 2.5 system is the best for my GT, I am go with Borla...and I did. I wanted a system that I could build on also. Plus I have used Borla systems on my last 3 cars. I spoke with BTG and at that time their excuse was that they couldn't make a 2.5 system that would go over the axle without hitting. When I suggested that Borla and others were offering a 2.5 they said that they "weren't aware of it, they would have to look into it". I wasn't very impressed with that answer. I am sure that they are very nice guys but...
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 09 Aug 2004, 10:41 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to hoopdiewagon

Quote:
quote:[i]

They offer a true dual exhaust, mandrel bent, and 10-15 year lifespan materials. they sell for about the going rate, $375 for cat back.
Hate to burst your bubble, those listed for the Cruiser ARE NOT TRUE dual axhaust.
Old 09 Aug 2004, 11:37 pm
Cool Cruiser

I love my Borla 2.5"s. I think it should come standard on the GT, but then everyone would have to get an aftermarket so they could be different.

Borla Duals, unecessary Airad CAI Thing, 18\" Boyd\'s Smoothies, and she\'s dropped an inch or two.

www.amazingarthur.com
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/559523/1
Old 10 Aug 2004, 01:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by hoopdiewagon

Quote:
quote:[i]

Hate to burst your bubble, those listed for the Cruiser ARE NOT TRUE dual axhaust.
[8)]
Old 10 Aug 2004, 01:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Geez, we all know that it's not really "true dual exhaust".
We get it for the looks and the sound...I know before you say it that you can get the same sound with a 'single' flow system.
People that get 'duals' like the look.........PERIOD!
I have the BTG system on my GT and love it!
Old 10 Aug 2004, 03:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to MACE

Hey:

Thanks for the replies.

I'll come out and say that I'm gonna go with form (aka looks) over function (aka best flow, believing I've read someplace that a single pipe flows beter) and go with a dual Cat-back exhaust.

That being said, I believe a 2 1/2 inch system will flow beter than a 2 1/4 inch (stock size, right?) system? Even on a rather small displacement engine such as our 2.4L Turbo? I don't want to lose all my backpressure as thatill probably make me lose HP/TQ

If so, guess I'm SOL on getting a 2 1/2 inch dual cat-back exhaust for my 2005 GT convertible, as I'm yet to find a manufacture that has certified/tested such a system or a fellow 2005 GT owner who has installed one...the search continues!

Thanks again

-MACE-
Old 10 Aug 2004, 04:53 pm
Cool Cruiser

Backpressure kills torque on naturally aspirated cars, but on forced induction vehicles (ie turbo) it is the enemy.

That being said, it is NOT always true that a 2.5 system will flow better than a 2.25 system. It all depends on the set-up.

If they were of the same design, then yes, the 2.5 would flow better than the 2.25, but this is not necessarily the case....if the 2.5 necks down to 2.25 or smaller, takes a more circuitous route, or uses backflow mufflers, it's possible that the 2.25 system will be better.
Old 10 Aug 2004, 08:49 pm
Senior Cruiser

The hard points are the same on all the PTs to hang the exhaust from.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come