Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
dyno run 08/18/04

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Aug 2004, 12:25 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default dyno run 08/18/04

[xx(]took my 03GT Auto to the dyno shop today. stage1 K&N filter, amx pipe white things removerd.1st run max hp 167.1 max torque 185.9 2nd run max hp 175.8 max torque 228.1 Kind of dissapointed in the numbers I was hoping for at least 200 hp. Teck said it was running a bite too rich.Maybe a set of plugs & wires will help.
Old 19 Aug 2004, 03:07 am
Veteran Cruiser

Putting it on the dyno is a waste of time. Ten different dyno machines will give you ten different sets of #'s. Take it to the track if you want to know what your GT can do.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 19 Aug 2004, 04:54 am
Senior Cruiser

Mean Green is spot on. Sport Compact Magazine did a test of dynos using the same truck - they got 7 different numbers on 7 different dynos with the same truck! Big deal? Well, the spread from high to low was a bit over 50HP so yeah, it's a big deal. There is so much to consider when doing dyno pulls - the dyno itself, software used, gearing in the car, temp, humidity, the skill level of the technician, etc.

The only thing I would really use a dyno for is testing the effects of modifications, but then you must use the same car/same dyno/same technician/same temp & humidity/same day(!) in order to get anything meaningful. My car was used to test the VAK intake/uppercharge system and we showed 3 pulls right around 175HP (+/- 3HP) for a baseline, then installed the system and did three more pulls. Those were all right at 205HP (+/- 3HP) so we were pretty happy as we gained 30HP at the front wheels. By the way, I have a Turbo Lite with Stage 1, which means I don't have an Autostick, so we couldn't hold it in 3rd gear and had to do the pulls in 2nd, which isn't optimal but at least we were consistant! This same test was recently done on another car with very similar results as far as HP gains although the actual HP numbers were different.

Anyway, bottom line is this: my car runs high 14 second 1/4 miles on street tires at street pressure in 90 degree Southern California heat. With an automatic set in "D". Not too shabby.
Old 19 Aug 2004, 09:36 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to macster

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Nudle

[xx(]took my 03GT Auto to the dyno shop today. stage1 K&N filter, amx pipe white things removerd.1st run max hp 167.1 max torque 185.9 2nd run max hp 175.8 max torque 228.1 Kind of dissapointed in the numbers I was hoping for at least 200 hp. Teck said it was running a bite too rich.Maybe a set of plugs & wires will help.
Actually, you are close to most who've done this. We get some where around 185HP. You can get 200 WHP with a K&N Typhoon or similar type CAI. I would also go with a Livewires/Screaming Demon Coil package and drop the gap on the plugs down to .045-.040." Also you can upgrade your exhaust pipe from 2.250" pipe from cat to muffler to 2.500" for a nominal fee. Finally go through and tighten all your clamps on all your hoses. especially those that carry vaccum or boost pressure. As far as your car being rich it depends on where you are rich at, e.g upper end (WOT) or lower end. Typically we run in the 11:1 at the mid to upper end. I'd need to look at my dyno results (which are posted here) to check for sure. Why don't you post your Dyno results, with the RPM, AFR, etc data? Once you do that, we can provide additional comments.

m~

Patriot Blue PTGT, Stage1, K&N Typhoon, 2.5\" Cat back exhaust, Sun Hyperground, Sun HOT INZAMA Hyper Voltage system, Adams Uppipe