Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
High Revs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Aug 2004, 02:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default High Revs

Just yesterday I started having this problem (or i think its a problem at least). When I step on the gas (conservatively) my RPMs will rise faster than the car is accelerating. I have a 5 speed BTW. For example, in 5th gear cruising at 60 my RPMs are at about 2500. If I go to accelerate to 70 my RPMs will rise quickly to about 6000 and then sort of settle in. It is a lttle hard to explain, but it is kind of similar to the transmission slipping in an automatic but there is no jerking. I am not flooring it either, this is just normal acceleration. My car has around 27000 miles on it. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Old 29 Aug 2004, 04:28 pm
Senior Cruiser

Any chance you've been a bit hard on the clutch and it's slipping? My old BMW had a similar problem and it was indeed a worn clutch, but with 150,000 miles on it.
Old 29 Aug 2004, 04:31 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by higear4

Just yesterday I started having this problem (or i think its a problem at least). When I step on the gas (conservatively) my RPMs will rise faster than the car is accelerating. I have a 5 speed BTW. For example, in 5th gear cruising at 60 my RPMs are at about 2500. If I go to accelerate to 70 my RPMs will rise quickly to about 6000 and then sort of settle in. It is a lttle hard to explain, but it is kind of similar to the transmission slipping in an automatic but there is no jerking. I am not flooring it either, this is just normal acceleration. My car has around 27000 miles on it. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Sounds as if the clutch is slipping. If your in gear and accelerate and the engine flares I would consider that slipping. With out driving it, this would only be an assumption and I know where that can lead. Take it to the dealer it "may" be covered under warranty, but probably not unless the clutch housing or other hard parts have failed. The disc is most likely considered a wear item? Don't ask them just insist that it should be covered!
Old 01 Sep 2004, 03:02 pm
Senior Cruiser

Yup, clutch is going. I wouldn't let it slip too much or you could burn up your flywheel too. It should be machined when you do the clutch assembly but if you wear it too much you will have to buy a new one.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 02 Sep 2004, 01:00 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Cal Cruzer

Yup, clutch is going. I wouldn't let it slip too much or you could burn up your flywheel too. It should be machined when you do the clutch assembly but if you wear it too much you will have to buy a new one.
I do believe the flywheel in our GT Cruisers are what you call a Dual Mass flywheel and the face can not be ground, $$. It is my professional opinion that when ever you replace a clutch housing/disc the flywheel must be ground flat or in the case of the Dual Mass, replaced.
Even if you do not see a substantial amount of wear, if the surface is not flat and finished properly, you will either smoke the disc prematurely +/or experience chatter.
This would be a good time to research the possibility of a High Performance standard clutch housing/disc and flywheel. Does anyone know if there is aftermarket clutch/flywheel available?
Just my 2 cents

higear please keep us posted, is it actually the clutch?
Old 02 Sep 2004, 09:56 am
Cool Cruiser

Sure sounds like a clutch to me, too. Have driven manual trannies all my life and you are describing a slipping clutch. Could be a failed pressure plate or a worn clutch disk or both. But with only 6000 miles, could also be an oil leak causing the slippage. Either way, the clutch assembly will have to be replaced, an oil soaked clutch disk is useless.

Mike
Old 02 Sep 2004, 12:59 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ptgtcb

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Cal Cruzer

I do believe the flywheel in our GT Cruisers are what you call a Dual Mass flywheel and the face can not be ground, $$.
Ahh, I believe you are right.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come