Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Wheather affecting turbo performance?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Sep 2004, 11:57 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to crazie.eddie
Default Wheather affecting turbo performance?

From what I have heard, high temps and high humidity decreases the perfomance of the turbo. Is this true?
Old 03 Sep 2004, 01:28 pm
Senior Cruiser

Temp and humidity will impact the performace of any internal combustion engine, not just a turbo. Hot air to the intake means hot air to the combustion chamber - which means a less dense air charge and thus decreased performance. A non turbo car would just be taking in the hot air, but a turbo will actually heat the air up even more as it compresses it. Heck, even cool air gets pretty severely heated up by the turbo - which is why we have intercoolers, and fortunately they are front mount units rather than the top mounts of cars like the WRX. In any event, the intercooler will take the intake temp down pretty dramatically, introducing a more dense air charge to the cylinders. That's why an intercooled turbo will generally perform better than one which isn't.

By the way, high altitude will decrease the performace of an engine too, but again the turbo can overcome much of this. At altitude the air is thinner, hence a less dense air charge to the cylinders. A turbo will take that less dense air, compress it, and voila! - dense air once again. Maybe not as dense as at sea level, but a naturally aspirated car will never keep up.
Old 04 Sep 2004, 04:10 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to hoopdiewagon

Quote:
quote:
By the way, high altitude will decrease the performace of an engine too, but again the turbo can overcome much of this. At altitude the air is thinner, hence a less dense air charge to the cylinders. A turbo will take that less dense air, compress it, and voila! - dense air once again. Maybe not as dense as at sea level, but a naturally aspirated car will never keep up.
Oh, I know this ALL TOO WELL!! The altitude makes it very hard to keep up with cars from other areas. ET times are slower and it is hard to get accurate dyno numbers. We (altitude peeps) will never be able to keep up with those at sea level or close to...

Just about every atmospheric/altitude issue that you can think of will affect a cars performance. That is why one day you might dyno or run the quarter with a certain number and not be able to repeat it, or maybe blow it out of the water. Its so hard to be completely accurate about the changes or performance that happen to your car unless you can repeat the exact same conditions every time.
Old 04 Sep 2004, 12:20 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

So cooler air is better? So if you mod your car to spray cool air (like CFC air or freon) in front of the intercooler and intake, you should get better performance?

<b>\'04 PT GT Graphite Metalic w/Autostick: </b> Stage1, BTG Strut Tower Brace, Eibach Anti-Sway Bars, Airaid CAI, Mopar 2.5\" Dual Cat-Back (D: 14.48@93 - A/S: 14.56@90) <i>...more mods at CarDomain or PTCruiserWorld</i>
Old 04 Sep 2004, 01:03 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:crazie.eddie Posted - 09/04/2004 : 11:20:23 AM So cooler air is better? So if you mod your car to spray cool air (like CFC air or freon) in front of the intercooler and intake, you should get better performance?
Theoretically, yes. The whole idea behind cold air intakes (CAI) is do to just that; feed cooler, fresh air into the intake or turbo, depending on the application. Unfortunately, many of these CAI setups sit too far into the engine bay to pick up any truly cool air. Others are tucked deep enough into the wheel well that, once the car is in motion, it will indeed pick up cooler outside air. Yes, you will stick pick up a fair amount of hot underhood air when stopped at a light for instance, but we usually aren't too concerned about performance when sitting at a light. Or in traffic.

There are such things as intercooler sprayers too. I recently read a study where they compared spraying water with spraying alcohol onto the outside of the IC. The assumption was the alcohol would cool better because it evaporates faster and therefore should draw heat away faster. (Pour some room temp water on your hand, then some room temp rubbing alcohol on your other hand. They're both the same temp, but the alcohol feels cooler because it evaporates faster.) Anyway, it turns out the water actually cooled better, apparently because the alcohol evaporated TOO FAST to draw away enough heat. Others are playing with spraying cold, compressed gases onto the outer surface of the IC, things like carbon dioxide, nitrous (not to be confused with nitrous injection), etc. Of course you then need to deal with fluid reservoirs, pumps, gas tanks, spray nozzles, control systems, etc.

Geez, I could go on forever (haven't I already!?!?!??!) but you get the point.
Old 04 Sep 2004, 02:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You wanna see how weather affects your performance? Come on down here starting about 11pm tonight!

Old 04 Sep 2004, 08:56 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:CREWZIN Posted - 09/04/2004 : 1:45:10 PM
You wanna see how weather affects your performance? Come on down here starting about 11pm tonight!
Um, er, ah, no thanks. I think I'll pass on that one. You batten down the hatched Crewzin, and hang on tight!
Old 04 Sep 2004, 10:22 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to hoopdiewagon

The funny thing is....the hurricane will prob still have better results than running a car up here at the altitude!
Old 05 Sep 2004, 10:09 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mike-in-Orange
Others are playing with spraying cold, compressed gases onto the outer surface of the IC, things like carbon dioxide, nitrous (not to be confused with nitrous injection), etc. Of course you then need to deal with fluid reservoirs, pumps, gas tanks, spray nozzles, control systems, etc.
Cool. I was thinking just a hose in front of the intercooler and another one in front of the intake, a simple small can or 2, like ones to refill your air, and a simple valve to release it should suffice for quickie (1/4 to a mile track). Therefore, there shouldn't be that much weight involved. If I were going to go extreme, then maybe a larger system with fluid reservoirs, pumps, large tanks, control systems, etc. will be required.

<b>\'04 PT GT Graphite Metalic w/Autostick: </b> Stage1, BTG Strut Tower Brace, Eibach Anti-Sway Bars, Airaid CAI, Mopar 2.5\" Dual Cat-Back (D: 14.48@93 - A/S: 14.56@90) <i>...more mods at CarDomain or PTCruiserWorld</i>
Old 07 Sep 2004, 11:58 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to RallyDRock

thats a bit illegal and very irresponsible to release those gasses into the atmosphere. There are sprayers available for nitrous oxide to spray on the outside of your intercooler. I have seen drag cars that actually have a cooler inside the car with a coil of steel fuel line inside. You fill the cooler with ice and viola your fuel is cold. A similar thing could be rigged up for the IC but check with track regulations because some will get bent if you are dripping water in the staging lanes (can't figure it out cause there is a puddle near the line for stupid people to do burnouts with their street radials)