PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Who else has dirty oil ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Sep 2004, 08:47 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Who else has dirty oil ??

Hey guys,

I change the oil in my wifes '03 GT autostick every 5000kms. I use Mobil 1 mopar filter. I notice that the oil comes out quite black - it looks much dirtier than any other car we've had in the last few years. The PT runs great, had the PCM TSB done, and gets 30mpg.

What about other people ? I know my wife doesn't drive very aggressively - in fact, I wonder if the turbo ever kicks in (other than when I get to drive it

What colour is your oil ?

Cheers

Trevor

Old 13 Sep 2004, 09:12 am
Senior Cruiser

I thought exactly the same thing, man this oil is black! It bothered me so much that I sent a sample out to Oil Analyzers to see what they had to say. They actually said it was fine and still could go a few thousand more miles. Made me feel better but that oil just seems too black.[:I]
Old 13 Sep 2004, 12:31 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Mr.Blonde

Oil is black on mine, but i am just glad all the dirt gets taken out with the oil, and not stay in the engine.

Now with stage 1

Just a GT... Thats tearin\' arse on the driveway.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/themanfrmokinawa

14.626 @ 94.74
stage 0 , intake and exhaust only.
Old 13 Sep 2004, 08:31 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mr Mopar
I change the oil in my wifes '03 GT autostick every 5000kms. I notice that the oil comes out quite black... The PT runs great, had the PCM TSB done, and gets 30mpg.

What colour is your oil ?
Most forced induction engines I have had the experience with seem to "dirty" the oil much more than naturally aspirated gasoline engines... Just change regularly...

30 mpg? Do you use the imperial gallon in your geography?
Old 13 Sep 2004, 09:06 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to sakigt

I second the 30 mpg neck snap. You must have gotten a wed. car.

14.67 @ 94.5 <--- Self Proclaimed Fastest East Coast PT with Black wheels!!!
Old 13 Sep 2004, 11:42 pm
Cool Cruiser

30mpg is more than reasonable if you do primarily highway driving in no traffic situations, and set the cruise control.

I have gotten 26.5 with mixed conditions, by using the cruise control a lot. But my drive to work sucks, lots of traffic.
Old 14 Sep 2004, 01:01 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to bigtommy83

I can get 30 mpg too on a reg all freeway/open country road trip. My oil comes out golden. I do change the Mobil 1 5w30 and filter every 3000 miles, maybe sooner maybe later. But, I get the stuff cheap working at a dealership and all. Small benefit for the flat rate pay and the bad mouthing mechanics get. That and having a rack doesn't make me put it off as long as some driveway lube racks.

\'04 GT 5-speed, Brand X, Air Force One Intake, Custom Flowmaster Exhaust (retired), SRT-4 exhaust no resonators, AGP Wastegate, Crusher Kit, Former Chrome Package, Mopar BOV, Custom Sub Box, Mopar Pillar Gauges, Hood Scoop, MBC, Stage 1, Mopar Stage 1 Springs, Hurst STS
Future Plans: Custom Intercooler Sprayer, 2-tone Paint Job
\"Hondas are like cigarettes, everyone cool smokes them\"
Old 14 Sep 2004, 11:34 am
Fresh Cruiser

Yeah, I can't get 30mpg in the PT, but my wife does. Drives ~ 100kms per day - all highway.

Thanks for all the feedback ! I guess I am not alone - just hafta keep changing the oil !

Cheers

Trevor

Old 16 Sep 2004, 03:03 pm
Cool Cruiser

The dirty oil issue is partly because our (any) turbo engines are running at such high temps. These higher temps causes a breakdown in oil, even syns, and that breakdown shows in the darker color. Couple that with dirt and you have black. All oil at the end of the engine life cycle, 3k to 5k miles, will be black. (Funny you haven't noticed this in others cars you have owned.) Change the oil at the proper mileage intervals and you won't have any problems. [^]

\'03 GT Inferno Red AutoStick - Stage 1 - Air Box Mods & K&N Filter - AMX Intake Down Pipe - Flowmaster 40 Series Exhaust - Magnacor 8.5mm Ignition Wires - Pin Stripping - Chrome Side Spears - Chrome Tail Light Covers - Chrome Fuel Door - E&G Custom Grill - Painted Rear Mud Guards - 3-D Liquid Flames - Chrome/Red Neon Washer Nozzles - Interior Neon
Old 16 Sep 2004, 10:56 pm
Senior Cruiser

This 30 mpg chatting is driving me nuts! Mine gets no more than 24 mpg no matter how I drive!! Something wrong?? It drives like a dram otherwise!![8)]
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.