Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Chirping noise at part throttle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Sep 2004, 02:12 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Chirping noise at part throttle

I have been experiencing a bird chirping noise during acceleration at part throttle, but not at full throttle. I have checked the belts, and have had the dealer check them also. When I asked the dealer about the noise I was told it wasn't the belts, but wasn't told the cause. I was hoping some one would have an idea.The 03GT is stock with all the lines in tact and equipped with a miniature two stage boost controller and TIP sensor pressure relief valve.[:I]By the way I have been reading this forum for a year or so and enjoy it. The wife and I attended the block party at the Pomona fair grounds a few months ago,PT people are good people!
Old 18 Sep 2004, 02:23 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to sakigt

My little blue GT chirps at 9 psi...not 10...not 8...9. Is so weird. Maybe we're talking about teh same thing. Mine sounds more like a whistle tho...

14.67 @ 94.5 <--- Self Proclaimed Fastest East Coast PT with Black wheels!!!
Old 18 Sep 2004, 05:16 pm
Cool Cruiser

I hate the sound and wasn't sure if it was the stock blow off valve, or if there was another purge system that I wasn't aware of.As I stated before the noise isn't there at full throttle, but at between 1/8 to 1/4 throttle.I guess I can't complain too much though, i traffic with a/c on, or going up a hill it pulls great.I love the performance just hate the noise![8)]
Old 18 Sep 2004, 06:51 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by littleblueGT

I have been experiencing a bird chirping noise during acceleration at part throttle, but not at full throttle.
Don't have the noise. Guess I'll have to try a part throttle run!!!
Old 18 Sep 2004, 07:05 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by littleblueGT

I hate the sound and wasn't sure if it was the stock blow off valve, or if there was another purge system that I wasn't aware of.As I stated before the noise isn't there at full throttle, but at between 1/8 to 1/4 throttle.I guess I can't complain too much though, i traffic with a/c on, or going up a hill it pulls great.I love the performance just hate the noise![8)]
I don't remember hearing the stock bov unless you replaced the turbo to air filter hose. Besides, the stock bov doesn't make a chirping sound.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 19 Sep 2004, 05:34 am
Cool Cruiser

Depends what chirping sound he's refering to.

I know when I go part throttle on a 5-Speed manual, I will get the turbo making a louder than normal whirling sound. It goes wwrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr (its not the same noise as the turbo spinning at 4500+RPMS) until I shift to the next gear or go WOT.

On the GT automatics, it doesn't seem to make that noise on part throttle.

I've driven my car with that noise since day 1, still runs 1/4 miles fine.
Old 20 Sep 2004, 06:20 pm
Cool Cruiser

The accessories I added were "in line" quick disconnect and used all the stock lines so I could remove them easily if I didn't like the results.Now that they have been removed the noise is gone along with the performance.I would have thought with all the PT experience out there someone would have a handle on the problem.The chirping had to be some type of pressure release, maybe it's time to study the factory shop manual!Thanks for the comments and help.