Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Tranny ?'s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Sep 2004, 05:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Tranny ?'s

New to the forum and have had a blast reading all the info from all.New Cool Vanilla PT Turbo lite with an auto tranny(no traction control).Have a Stage 1 on the way and can't sit still waiting for it. Few ?'s for thought

1) Will the Tranny relearn take care of the Wheelspin that already exist. Because I can't imagine what 50 plus Hp will do to these cheap stock tires.LOL[8)]
2)Since the SRT-4 came out with a limited slip diff (LSD) this year it really helped in the performace and times correlated with it.Has anyone applied a LSD or is it bescause most have traction control or another way of taming wheel spin.
3)Or is the answer just trashing the stock junk T rated tires right out of the block to get more meat stickin to the road?

Thanks for your input , Jay [^]

Old 21 Sep 2004, 08:02 pm
Cool Cruiser

1.) After you install Stage 1, you might want to do several runs with your cruiser so the Stage 1 learns and adjust the tranny to your driving style. However, you will still get wheelspin if you try to launch above 1500 RPMS with an autotranny. Your driving a FWD car.

2. 2004 and higher SRT-4's get LSD for their NVT-850 Transmission (5-Speed Manual.) PT Cruisers at this point does not have LSD available for the Getrac 5-Speed Manual or 41TE Trasnmission (Auto). Mopar list a Quaife for the Getrac 5-Speeds, but I haven't heard it is available as of late.

3.If you want to improve traction, there is alot of information you will need to understand on FWD cars. The most basic is better suspension, motor mounts, tie rod bushings, etc etc etc. If you plan to do some track runs every month, it might be an investment to beef up your suspension and motor mounts.
Old 21 Sep 2004, 08:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the reply. I do understand FWd is much different than Rwd. My 93 RX-7 is my car if I need to roll hard. But for everyday suprise power, this is my new toy. Not sure if I will make to many trips to the track with it. Drivability is more what I am looking for and a suprise for the kids here and there.No one wants to play when I am in he rx-7. lol[8)]However, I am looking to get the PT up to speed.I use it alot and want to eliminate weaknesses where I can.
I have been loking at a LSD from Phantom grip. Is anyone familiar with it? Or am I better of Doing these Mods PTGT Sugested first? Again, I am excited about the potential of this car,and my ears are open. I want to learn so let me hear it. Jay[^]
Old 21 Sep 2004, 09:47 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:PTGT_Boy Posted - 09/21/2004 : 7:02:01 PM
1.) After you install Stage 1, you might want to do several runs with your cruiser so the Stage 1 learns and adjust the tranny to your driving style.
HOLD ON THERE BUDDY!!!! As the owner of an '04 Turbo Lite who has installed Stage 1 I have some experience in this area. Do NOT, repeat NOT just do several runs so that Stage 1 adjusts your tranny....you'll eat the thing alive!! There are very specific instructions included with Stage 1 for the Automatic Transmission Quick Learn Procedure. You must follow these instructions before doing any wide open throttle (WOT) shifts. The procedure is basically just a series of part throttle acceleration runs, both from a standstill and from a roll. Very easy to do, but absolutely critical that it be done. It is safe to drive easily to an appropriate location to do the procedure, but don't push the car before doing the Quick Learn!

As for traction issues, let's just say you're going to be in for a heck of blast the fist time you nail the gas with S1 on your Turbo Lite. I can now light my tires from a 20mph roll...could hardly light 'em at all before S1. I currently run Dunlop SP Sport 9000 225/45ZR17 tires on mine and run fairly consistant 14.8~14.9 second 1/4 mile times. Traction is rarely a huge issue, except for that one night......[:I]
Old 03 Oct 2004, 10:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Mike, I am heeding the warning on the tranny re-learn. I got my STAGE 1on Friday and will install this morning. I am excited ,so I am sure I wil be reciting the saying new Stage 1 member with some grinning later today. Also I am shopping the new tires as we speak and will be making a decision this wek on those.
Later, Jay