Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Dual Stage Boost Controller

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Sep 2004, 04:19 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Dual Stage Boost Controller

I would like thoughts on a dual stage boost controller like this one: http://www.agpturbo.com/customer/pro...&cat=24&page=1

I like the fact that you can control boost for in town and on the highway. Pros and cons?
Thanks
Old 25 Sep 2004, 06:43 am
Cool Cruiser

Tom,

Your still going to need the new billet AGP waste gate (should be available within the next few days)to go with the boost controller. In fact the biggest HP increase will come from the WGA. You'll need to keep your high boost setting under 17.5 lbs. boost to keep the cpu from pulling timing unless you install a map-clamp. Those two pieces (WGA and 2-stage boost controller) should get you close to Stage 2 ratings.

The downside is you'll start experiancing PTB or Part Throttle Boosting. At 50% throttle of above you'll go to full boost conditions. Offering two stages of boost somewhat puts a bandage on the PTB problem. That's why Stage 2 would be so nice if Mopar ever get's off it's duff and releases it. S2 would give us more HP with the same driveability that we have with Stage 1.

Deen
GT, 5-Spd, K&N filter, Stage I, AGP 3147 Big Turbo, DTEC Fuel Kit, Tial WGA, Greddy Profec EBC, DCR 55mm TB, 05 Plastic Manifold, 180 Deg. Stat, CCA FMIC, AMX hard-pipes, Water-Injection, STS shifter, Needswings 3\" DP w/dump and Borla Cat-back, BG Drop Springs, Eibach Sway Bars, Panther alloys & Eagle F1 Max-Performance Tires. Best run to date...12.93 @113.45MPH.
77 Blown Vette-runs 10\'s @ 136 MPH.
Old 25 Sep 2004, 01:43 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Thanks Deen

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 25 Sep 2004, 01:57 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mean Green

I would like thoughts on a dual stage boost controller like this one: http://www.agpturbo.com/customer/pro...&cat=24&page=1

I like the fact that you can control boost for in town and on the highway. Pros and cons?
Thanks
Why not build one of the automatic dual stage boost controllers that several guys have put together on here and the SRT forum? They use 1 or 2 vacuum solenoids and only switch to high boost at WOT and around town you are using the stock set up, no full boost problems at part throttle. Another post here mentions that with SI we are some where less than 10:1 AFR so I do not see any problem with the timing being pulled. I also read a while back on the SRT forum that one company was putting together this set up for sale, so you do not have to build it yourself.
Just a thought
Old 25 Sep 2004, 02:25 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ptgtcb

Quote:

Thanks
Why not build one of the automatic dual stage boost controllers that several guys have put together on here and the SRT forum? They use 1 or 2 vacuum solenoids and only switch to high boost at WOT and around town you are using the stock set up, no full boost problems at part throttle. Another post here mentions that with SI we are some where less than 10:1 AFR so I do not see any problem with the timing being pulled. I also read a while back on the SRT forum that one company was putting together this set up for sale, so you do not have to build it yourself.
Just a thought
Thanks for the info[?]

Old 27 Sep 2004, 01:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

Just make sure you by the HP version.

It will help hold boost till redline.

George
Well maybe.
Old 27 Sep 2004, 02:06 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by supr rt 4

George
George, what does this mean? HP version?

Old 28 Sep 2004, 01:14 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by supr rt 4

George
George, what does this mean? HP version?

I guess High performance version.
You can get the HP version in a Single or Dual stage boost controler.
It has a extra adjustment(brass hex stock with adjusting screw)on top of the single stage(low boost)bleed.
The(high boost)2nd.stage bleed doesn't have this extra adjustment.

What it does it allows you to adjust your boost HOLD in a sense.
It can be adjusted so whatever boost you have your wastegate and boost controler set to.It will allow you to hold that boost longer/ or to a higher RPM before it falls of at redline.

There are actualy 3 adjustments on the HP model.Low,High and hold/spike.
I think they call it spike in the instructions.
I did have spike and bleed off with mine until I adjusted it out.
And now on the PT and on the SRT when I had it they both will hold boost till about 300 rpm before redline then fall off to about 2lbs. less than what I was holding.

To me thats pretty good because I seen my car at first and others drop off to 15lbs. by redline.I'm holding 20lbs to almost red line the falling off to 18lbs about 300 rpm before redline.That way your makeing good power all the way to redline.

It (hp dual stg. boost controler) will also get rid of the part throttle flutter that you get when you start running a higher boost level.

Maybe thats why they call it that.HP that it is a higher performance version of thier standard boost controler.

I don't know for sure why the call it HP.Just guessing on that part.

George
Well maybe.