Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Ques about BTG performance muffler???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Sep 2004, 01:00 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to retroman715
Default Ques about BTG performance muffler???

Guys,

Has anyone installed the BTG single muffler? If so have you noticed any improvement in the turbo's performance...throttle response,power(boost),sound,etc??? I'm thinkin' about gettin me one and need a little input. I have Stage 1 and BTG Turbo intake.

Thanks guys.

John aka retroman [?]
Old 28 Sep 2004, 03:22 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by retroman715

Guys,

Has anyone installed the BTG single muffler? If so have you noticed any improvement in the turbo's performance...throttle response,power(boost),sound,etc??? I'm thinkin' about gettin me one and need a little input. I have Stage 1 and BTG Turbo intake.

Thanks guys.

John aka retroman [?]
Depends if you want to stay at a 2 1/4" exhaust. I had the BTG 2 1/4" axleback exhaust ( $259 ) and I loved it. The sound is excellent. Didn't notice any performance improvement. The only reason I got rid of it was because I wanted to go to a 2 1/2" catback exhaust so I got a 2 1/2" Heartthrob flow through single catback exhaust ( $219 ). I did notice a performance increase with the 2 1/2" catback as the turbo spooled up faster. The sound of the Heartthrob is nice, not too loud and gets a little more throaty with age.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 28 Sep 2004, 12:54 pm
Senior Cruiser

You may or may not see any gains with a 2.5" exhaust, but think more in terms of the 2.25" holding back gains from future upgrades like S-1, intake, downpipe, etc. (and don't tell me that you aren't going to do anything else, we all know better )
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 28 Sep 2004, 05:26 pm
Cool Cruiser

John,
I have the BTG single and the BTG intake. Both good quality. The exhaust has a loud resinance at around 3k RPM's. I'm considering a resinator to cut the inside noise a bit. The biggest jump in power seemed to come in with Adam's UCP. Even S 1 , my last mod, was not as noticable as the pipe. [8)]

John
Old 28 Sep 2004, 05:47 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to sakigt

You will not see any gains from an increase in boost due to our anal-retentive PCMs(see Sport Compact's artice on the SRT4)...you mostly likely will get that nice high end gain that I feel we are seriously lacking.
Im going to make a few trips to the track, install a trubenz 2.5 exhaust then go back and see if my mph gets any better. We should at least see hp gains similar to n/a PTs.

14.67 @ 94.5 <--- Self Proclaimed Fastest East Coast PT with Black wheels!!!
Old 28 Sep 2004, 11:23 pm
Cool Cruiser

You have posted this comparison before and the GT and SRT exhausts are completely different. The SRT is straight through and the GT has a muffler so it would be hard to compare the 2 exhausts and the sport compact results. I have to agree that the PCM will reel in any excess boost but if the engine is not seeing its programmed potential then there will be an increase in power and I truly believe there is room for improvement, especially on the exhaust side of the turbo, before the PCM starts reeling it back in. Even 3Bar said that more power could be produced on the exhaust side of the turbo.
Just my 2 cents,
Old 30 Sep 2004, 12:44 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

If you don't want the HEAR your EXHAUST then stay away from BTG. However, if you like it good and loud then BTG is for you: [/b] http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...earchTerms=BTG
Old 01 Oct 2004, 01:36 am
Cool Cruiser

I had the BTG exhaust and it was not loud at all and I felt the turbo spooled a little quicker and seemed to pull all the way to redline?

It all depends on your definition of loud? [:I]

The only reason I took it off was that I could never get the muffler tip to center properly in the cut out and that drove me nuts! I tried 2 mufflers with the same result, off to the right when looking at it from the rear. I could have modified it and to some extent did, but I did not feel that I should pay 200+ for something that did not fit right right out of the box! I am probably going to get the trubendz cat back system and a ATP SRT-4 DP and fab it to fit. Saving $$$$ [8]
Old 01 Oct 2004, 02:33 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ptgtcb

I had the BTG exhaust and it was not loud at all
It all depends on your definition of loud? [:I]...The only reason I took it off was that I could never get the muffler tip to center properly in the cut out and that drove me nuts!
One definition of "loud" is... "your wife doesn't like it and lets you know about it everytime she rides in the car." [B)] Seriously, it is LOUD, even to my ears (more so with use and STAGE 1) but a resonator will help "tame the sound".

To get a perfect fit for the BTG, not always but frequently, you need to weld it in place. Also, I think the tip on the BTG is too short for my liking (exhaust gases dirty the bottom section of bumper) so I made a modification--Bullet Dual Wall SS Tip--to make it work right for me. [8D]

Old 01 Oct 2004, 07:12 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to sakigt

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ptgtcb

I had the BTG exhaust and it was not loud at all and I felt the turbo spooled a little quicker and seemed to pull all the way to redline?

It all depends on your definition of loud? [:I]

The only reason I took it off was that I could never get the muffler tip to center properly in the cut out and that drove me nuts! I tried 2 mufflers with the same result, off to the right when looking at it from the rear. I could have modified it and to some extent did, but I did not feel that I should pay 200+ for something that did not fit right right out of the box! I am probably going to get the trubendz cat back system and a ATP SRT-4 DP and fab it to fit. Saving $$$$ [8]
Or you could just buy from this guy: www.maxxfab.com

14.67 @ 94.5 <--- Self Proclaimed Fastest East Coast PT with Black wheels!!!