Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Added ground wire=better performance?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Oct 2004, 04:17 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Added ground wire=better performance?

[?]I saw on the SRT forum that a guy added an additional ground wire from the negative battery terminal to the engine head.There is a special ground kit for $75.00, but this guy just added the wire and saw better performance and smoother idle.I thought what the heck it's a cheap fix and who could complain about improving the ground? As the streets were wet due to rain i couldn't open it up, but it did seem to run nice and the idle is very smooth.Maybe it's in my mind, but some of you guys can try it out and report back.The SRT guys all seemed to have favorable responses, lets see what the PT owners have to say!
Old 19 Oct 2004, 01:15 am
Cool Cruiser

A lot of us talked about it but your the first PT I know of that went for it, Her's a thread:

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...ground%2Cwires

Old 19 Oct 2004, 03:34 am
Veteran Cruiser

Has anyone done the hyper ground?

littleblueGT, have you got any pics?

Here's the thread

http://srtforums.com/forums/showthre...ht=ground+wire

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 19 Oct 2004, 10:52 am
Cool Cruiser

Ok, enlighten me, there are several grounds on the engine and chassis, just how is one more gonna increase performance???

Mike
Old 19 Oct 2004, 12:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mike Radowski

Ok, enlighten me, there are several grounds on the engine and chassis, just how is one more gonna increase performance???

Mike

I'm with you Mike. I think the performance people are talking about are with the digital electronics and the stereo system...not engine performance. Am I wrong? [:I]
Old 19 Oct 2004, 01:32 pm
Cool Cruiser

[:I]I saw on the SRT forum that a simple wire directly from the negative battery terminal to the head improved spark plug firing.There is evidently less resistance with that wiring.It was a cheap fix and what do you have to loose?There were other post I noticed where engine idles rough and missed and turned out the problem was a ground from body to engine, so who can say.There are three threaded holes in the head under the throttle body, I found an old 12mm fiat bolt that worked good.The threads are metric so don't force anything.Other people are selling kits from $79 to $153 including Honda, so maybe there is something to it.I felt the biggest bang for the buck was the head ground, I will now look at the ECM.
Old 19 Oct 2004, 10:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Hot Wheels

Hello. I'm new to this forum. I've posted on a couple of the others but this is the first time that ptcruiserlinks has accepted new members when I've tried to join, so I'm late to the party.

I just installed my hyper ground last week and it is too early to determine what gains I may see. It usually takes my PT anywhere from 300 to 500 miles to get back to full power after I disconnect the battery and it's only been about 120 miles so far.

I bought an Audiopipe gold-plated negative battery terminal that accepts one 0 gauge cable, one 4 gauge cable, and two 8 gauge cables. I ran the short 0 gauge (about 6 or 7 inches) cable directly to the body ground located next to the battery. I terminated the two 8 gauge cables to one gold-plated ring terminal (used throughout) and connected this to the stock ground terminal that I had removed in order to use the Audiopipe negative terminal. I zip-tied this to the o guage ground wire to keep it tucked out of sight next to the body ground bolt. I used the 4 gauge connection to start my hyper ground run to the transmission beneath the air box. From there I daisy-chained the next cable to the head and then daisy-chained the next cable to the PCM.

I intend to add more cables in the near future to actually connect from ground to transmission to block to head to intake and finally to the PCM. I am waiting to add these other cables when I get my MSD coil and have to remove the intake to install the coil.

I spent a total of $37 at a discount electronics surplus store on all of the cable, gold-plated negative battery terminal, and the gold-plated crimp ring terminals for all of the cable sizes.

Will keep you posted.

Old 20 Oct 2004, 02:34 am
Veteran Cruiser

Howdy Hot Wheels. Welcome to the forum. When you get it all done can we see pics? I'm not sure where all of these connections will be going to. We love pics [?] List of parts and length of/type of wires would be nice, too.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 20 Oct 2004, 10:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to retroman715

Guys and Gals,

I just did the hyper ground from the head to negative battery terminal. I did notice the idle is much smoother. As far as increased perfomance I can't feel anything different. It does make sense that the spark plugs would have a better ground.

Just my .02

Retroman [8)]
Old 21 Oct 2004, 02:31 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to bigtommy83

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by littleblueGT

[:I]There are three threaded holes in the head under the throttle body, I found an old 12mm fiat bolt that worked good.The threads are metric so don't force anything.
I take this to mean it is on the head itself and not on the intake manifold/throttle area. Trying to find the bolt holes myself but not so sure. What guage wire did you use?

\'04 GT 5-speed, Brand X, Air Force One Intake, Custom Flowmaster Exhaust (retired), SRT-4 exhaust no resonators, AGP Wastegate, Crusher Kit, Former Chrome Package, Mopar BOV, Custom Sub Box, Mopar Pillar Gauges, Hood Scoop, MBC, Stage 1, Mopar Stage 1 Springs, Hurst STS
Future Plans: Custom Intercooler Sprayer, 2-tone Paint Job
\"Hondas are like cigarettes, everyone cool smokes them\"