Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Longer startup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Oct 2004, 08:33 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Longer startup

Seems lately that it takes just a sec or two longer to crank up in the morning. I have an O3 w/ 17,000 miles. Living here in warm MS(for now) so its not cold in the morning. Is this normal or mabey a spark plug or wire issue.
Old 20 Oct 2004, 10:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to retroman715

Just turn on the ignition then wait for the chimes to end..... wait a few seconds...then crank it. This usually will be enough time for the fuel pressure to reach the fuel rail at the injectors. It also allows the OBD II diagnostic system to run its systems check prior to engine start.

I remember a mechanic explaining it to me a few years back.

Try it. It may also be your plugs and or wires. If they're worn that may be the root of your problem. Also a dirty fuel filter may also be the culprit. I would check the spark plug wires and plugs first.

Let us know if it helped

Just my .02

retroman [8)]
Old 21 Oct 2004, 12:02 am
Veteran Cruiser

Have had the tough startup problem for a while but in the last couple of months it starts right up. Even after I changed the plugs at 30,000 miles (now 34,000) It was still a tough start. Don't know why it starts right up now.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 21 Oct 2004, 01:20 am
Fresh Cruiser

Had same problem with'03 turbo w/18,000 miles, starting last spring. Mornings on a cold startup it took longer cranks and sometimes wouldn't start on first crank. Turning ignition on for extended length of time before cranking didn't help. Kept putting up with it until recently when I added some fuel injector cleaner to the fuel. Problem has not come back going on a month now.
Old 21 Oct 2004, 01:36 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to crazie.eddie

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mean Green

Have had the tough startup problem for a while but in the last couple of months it starts right up. Even after I changed the plugs at 30,000 miles (now 34,000) It was still a tough start. Don't know why it starts right up now.
So the warmer weather you have no problems? Maybe the colder weather you had some kind of condensation from the night before?

<b>\'04 PT GT Graphite Metalic w/Autostick: </b> Stage1, BTG Strut Tower Brace, Eibach Anti-Sway Bars, Airaid CAI, Mopar 2.5\" Dual Cat-Back (D: 14.48@93 - A/S: 14.56@90) <i>...more mods at CarDomain or PTCruiserWorld</i>
Old 21 Oct 2004, 02:40 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to bigtommy83

I am just kind of winging this, (i'll double check, if i am wrong i will repost), but off the top of my head i think the PT's are returnless fuel systems. That means the fuel rail has a constant pressure and the excess does not go back to the tank, it stays in the fuel rail. If it sits, it back flows into the tank thrugh the one fuel line. If it sits long enough, it takes time for that line to fill back up and build pressure. And, like crazie.eddie said, depending on how your gas stations are around there, you may have water and condensation that builds up. Regular maintenance (tune ups, decarbs) usually help, but at 17k you shouldn't have any maintanence for another 13k. My GT does the same thing, I just sit for an extra second with the key on instead of getting in and cranking it up right away.

\'04 GT 5-speed, Brand X, Air Force One Intake, Custom Flowmaster Exhaust (retired), SRT-4 exhaust no resonators, AGP Wastegate, Crusher Kit, Former Chrome Package, Mopar BOV, Custom Sub Box, Mopar Pillar Gauges, Hood Scoop, MBC, Stage 1, Mopar Stage 1 Springs, Hurst STS
Future Plans: Custom Intercooler Sprayer, 2-tone Paint Job
\"Hondas are like cigarettes, everyone cool smokes them\"
Old 21 Oct 2004, 10:23 am
Cool Cruiser

Glad to see our GT is not the only one with that issue. Hey, Stage one guys/gals any of you have that issue??? Was thinking the PCM might be part of the issue???

Mike
Old 21 Oct 2004, 10:38 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to crazie.eddie

I'll have to check and get back with you. I'm usually in the kitchen, bathroom, or bedroom when I start my PT. Ever since I got the Viper 791 Alarm with remote start, I never have to be behind the wheel.

<b>\'04 PT GT Graphite Metalic w/Autostick: </b> Stage1, BTG Strut Tower Brace, Eibach Anti-Sway Bars, Airaid CAI, Mopar 2.5\" Dual Cat-Back (D: 14.48@93 - A/S: 14.56@90) <i>...more mods at CarDomain or PTCruiserWorld</i>
Old 21 Oct 2004, 11:11 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to SuGamer

BigTommy is right. The PT's and the Neon both have returnless systems. Evidence behind this it the stage 3 upgrade for the Neon SRT4. It converts the fuel system to a gas return system.
Black 2004 PT Cruiser GT with chrome accent package, chrome door spears, billet gauge eyebrows, chrome beltline, Autotechnica tail light covers painted body color, TYC by Elegente backup lights and GPS Navigation. Silver dragons on sides and hood. Stage 1! Spark plugs gapped to .040, and installed a set of Crane Firewires. BTG cold air intake, AMX1397\'s Turbo Up Charge Pipe, Boomba Racing BOV, Hallman Pro PX manual boost controller and Mean Green\'s Hyperground Solution.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze247vu
http://www.ptcruiserworld.com/Junior