Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Downpipes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Oct 2004, 03:49 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Downpipes

I'm starting a new thread so I won't get accused of highjacking ptgtcb's thread regarding the PT Tuning BTG downpipe. In that thread, he/she disses the Maxxfab downpipe for some unknown reason. I've tried to hold my opinion, but couldn't take any more of the biased bs. I was the first to put the Maxxfab 3" downpipe with CAT on my car and it's my car in the pictures in the vendors section of this forum and on the Maxxfab website. I have no relationship to Maxxfab, I only responded to a post by Scott on this forum looking for someone to work with him to develop a downpipe to fit the PT GT. We had to work long distance, and he got the correct fit on the second try. I can only tell you that the quality and fit is excellent, and I'm extremely picky about such things -- otherwise, I would have been satisfied with the first one. I continue to be happy with the setup. Scott told me he developed a jig, so that the product could be reproduced accurately. It's not polished or chrome plated, but since you can't see the downpipe unless you raise the car and get under it, it wouldn't make sense to pay for polishing or plating in my opinion.

The BTG downpipe looks great too -- just trying to be fair and balanced. Now go ahead ptgtcb -- flame away.

Here is the link to the vendors forum with the picture of my car with the downpipe.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...?TOPIC_ID=6966

Old 27 Oct 2004, 04:02 pm
Regular Cruiser

I agree with John. The Maxxfab DP is great. I have it and I have no problems with it. If fact when I was speaking to Psi-Fi about what upgrades to get along with the PowerPaq they recommended a DP from MaxxFab.

For those of you who don't know who Psi-Fi is just check out the SRT-4 forums.
Old 27 Oct 2004, 06:43 pm
Senior Cruiser

lol...I know what you mean. He seems to have a real hard on for Maxxfab for some reason. Any time the name comes up in any context he posts negative because he doesn't like how it looks. Not too cool. Heck, it's just an exhaust piece. I ain't brushin' my teeth with it. That is the unit I will buy. I mean the PTT unit is great too but I doubt that you will see any performance difference between the two.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 27 Oct 2004, 08:45 pm
Young Cruiser

I also have the same pipe and love it. Easy to install and hooked up perfect w/ my 2.5" Heartthrob exhaust system.
Old 28 Oct 2004, 12:50 am
Cool Cruiser

Actually, I like the ATP DP the best. Every time I post about a DP someone has to push the fugly Max fab unit with out even trying to see any benefits to the new DP's available. Geeeez! I still do not have answer to why the installed unit is different than the web site pic? The ones I have seen installed are not mandrel bent and the web site pic shows it with a mandrel bent pipe but has 2 reducers from the CAT to the pipe, so whats up with that. I even posted that "maybe he has improved his design" but nobody steps up to the plate to educate me on the pipe.
So,
Old 28 Oct 2004, 02:34 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SFsGT03

I also have the same pipe and love it. Easy to install and hooked up perfect w/ my 2.5" Heartthrob exhaust system.
I have the Heartthrob catback also. Scott wasn't sure about the hookup to his DP. Did you have to do any modifying to make it work. Did you use the DP with hi flow cat?

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 28 Oct 2004, 01:06 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ptgtcb

Actually, I like the ATP DP the best. The ones I have seen installed are not mandrel bent and the web site pic shows it with a mandrel bent pipe but has 2 reducers from the CAT to the pipe, so whats up with that.
Please show me pictures of other installs, the only ones I've seen are the ones posted in that link that JohnM posted and they look like the same DP to me. The only other DP that I have seen pictures of installed were on divots car and he used the ATP pipe but it was for an SRT so it was short and he had to add another section of pipe to make it fit. I'll see if I can find his post.

\'03 Electric Blue GT, silencers removed, K&N intake, Blanes Hood Struts, Emblems removed from rear hatch, Stage 1, Mopar BOV, Eibach springs, 18x8 Mille Miglia EV-R on 225/40/18 BFG g-Force T/A KDW 2, Eibach sway kit F&R, BTG Strut Bar, Chrome fuel door, custom 3\" cat-back exhaust with Magnaflow High-flow muffler, Blitz Dual Turbo Timer, Autometer Triple gauge pod, Autometer Ultra-lite with boost/vac, oil press and water temp gauges, Turbochargers.com wastegate, turboxs DSBC, Adams UCP, Dynoworks motor mounts with more to come.....
Old 28 Oct 2004, 01:19 pm
Cool Cruiser

here's the post where divots posted pics of his DP, it's actually an Exhaust Depot downpipe.

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...?TOPIC_ID=5192

\'03 Electric Blue GT, silencers removed, K&N intake, Blanes Hood Struts, Emblems removed from rear hatch, Stage 1, Mopar BOV, Eibach springs, 18x8 Mille Miglia EV-R on 225/40/18 BFG g-Force T/A KDW 2, Eibach sway kit F&R, BTG Strut Bar, Chrome fuel door, custom 3\" cat-back exhaust with Magnaflow High-flow muffler, Blitz Dual Turbo Timer, Autometer Triple gauge pod, Autometer Ultra-lite with boost/vac, oil press and water temp gauges, Turbochargers.com wastegate, turboxs DSBC, Adams UCP, Dynoworks motor mounts with more to come.....
Old 28 Oct 2004, 07:16 pm
Senior Cruiser

A DP is a DP is a DP. I just can't see paying the xtra moola for sumtin shiney I have to get under the car to see [:I] As far as the non mandrel bend goes, how much air flow could that restrict for that little tiny bend? [:I] Not flaming on nobody, just voicing opinion here [?] It's like tires, other exhaust's & audio equip. To each their own [^]
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer
Old 30 Oct 2004, 04:43 pm
Cool Cruiser

Sorry, I can not find the pics, they must have been removed? You guys are right, I probably have been too harsh a critic on the Maxx Fab piece. I work for an aftermarket tuner and performance company and I guess my expectations are a lot higher than most, I even criticize our products. If the unit is the one pictured on the web site then it should and apparently does work fine. To even contradict myself, I posted on another post that the unit looked awesome, but, that was before I saw different pics of the max fab unit which made wonder what piece was the real unit, what ever, end of story.

The only thing that I was trying to say is that there are alternatives out there and you should investigate all of them before you make a decision and that price should not be your only consideration.

The jury is still out on the BTG unit. They do offer a 7 year 70k mile warranty on the CAT and lifetime on the pipes and O2 housing. However it is also only 2 1/2" inlet/outlet and necks down to 2 1/4" to mate with the stock exhaust or their exhaust. I am still not completely convinced that 2 1/2" is as good as 3" but when talking to them they are quite adamant that during their testing the 3" proto type unit did not yeild any sigificant gains over the 2 1/2". They would not give me any HP #'s but did say that they realized 40 ft lbs of peak torque using their o2 housing and DP and free flow exhaust w/SI. They did tell me they spent hours tuning the system and that you need to see how they ported and polished (how they explaned it to me) the o2 housing and DP internally so there is exceptional flow built into their set up. As far as the polishing of the exterior they said that it only cost a few dollars more and is just for looks. I just suggest you call them and ask for specifics.

Trubendz undoubtebly offers the the largest selection of DPs and exhausts, 2 1/2 to 3" in S.S. and aluminized steel and should also be investigated.