Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
dual exhaust

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Oct 2004, 06:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default dual exhaust

Has any one installed the heartthrob 2.5 inch dual exhaust system on a lowered pt cruiser.
Old 27 Oct 2004, 06:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

My car is a 2004 GT with Eibach lowering springs.
Old 27 Oct 2004, 10:04 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Mean Green, a long-time member of this forum, installed a heartthrob 2.5 inch exhaust on his GT and loves it. I don't know if his car has been lowered. You may want to send him a PM as he most likely has the anwser to your question. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Old 28 Oct 2004, 12:15 am
Veteran Cruiser

I have the Heartthrob 2.5 catback single. I'm lowered with Eibachs and my 40 series tires lower it another 3/4" so total 2 1/4" front and 2 3/4" back. I have no issues with being lowered.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 28 Oct 2004, 03:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the input and welcome to the forum.

I've seen Mean Green's posts and knew he had the heartthrob single but didn't realize he's lowered too. I did talk to them at Heartthrob and they said they have never known of any one with their dual settup that was lowered.

What I want to do is get the BTG primary down pipe that I think flares out to 2.5 inch. It is a new piece that just came out. Then go with the max fab (or other) 2.5 inch down pipe with high flow cat. And to finish it off go with a free flow exhaust that is also 2.5 inch. BTG told me their 2 1/4 dual exhaust breathes better than some ones 2.5 inch exhaust. They wouldn't tell me who they compared their dual exhaust with, but I think it's the Mopar/Borla from some of their coments. I don't believe their 2 1/4 exhaust can compare with a 2.5 inch or I wouldn't still be looking.

Any ideas of other exhausts to consider would be appreciated. I may have to go with a single exhaust like the True Bendz 2.5. I want this puppy to Breathe..... I hear there is alot of torque to be had.
Old 28 Oct 2004, 04:17 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to crazie.eddie

I take it you are going for more sound. I have the Mopar (Borla) dual 2.5" exhausts, which is loud, but not very loud. Which is good becuase I don't want to sound like every ricer that drives down our street.

Regarding MeanGreens setup, although he has a single & you inquired about a dual, it should not matter. A lowered car with a single exhaust should have the same clearance as a dual (same exhaust size & tip), IMO.

I'm also considering either PT Tunings's or Maxfabs DP. The only thing I can think as a downside for Maxfabb (sorry guys) is it being a 3" DP, I'm not sure if it would be a great performance gain compared to PTT's 2.5" DP. I mean, have a 2.5" cat-back exhaust, having a 3" downpipe, would still bottle neck on the exhaust, since it's 2.5". Unfortunately, PTT's DP is expensive, but looks VERY NICE (I like shiney stuff) . Maxfabb is more reasonable, but I've seen some posts where the DP photo is different on the web than what is actually installed on people's cars. The nice thing about Maxfabb, is they will make me an interchangeable cat/race pipe config, much like their SRT DP's.

Let use know what you decide & post your pix once you have them installed.

<b>\'04 PT GT Graphite Metalic w/Autostick: </b> Stage1, BTG Strut Tower Brace, Eibach Anti-Sway Bars, Airaid CAI, Mopar 2.5\" Dual Cat-Back (D: 14.48@93 - A/S: 14.56@90) <i>...more mods at CarDomain or PTCruiserWorld</i>
Old 28 Oct 2004, 11:51 am
Fresh Cruiser

No, I'm not going for more sound. I'm going for the torque that a 2.5 inch turbo back system will give me. BTG is claiming 40 foot pounds over stock with their set up including their 2 1/4 dual exhaust.
An increase of 40 foot pounds is like puting a stroker in this car. I really don't want it any louder than stock but I know it will be louder with the high flow cat and bigger exhaust.
Old 28 Oct 2004, 06:32 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by googy

What I want to do is get the BTG primary down pipe that I think flares out to 2.5 inch. It is a new piece that just came out. Then go with the max fab (or other) 2.5 inch down pipe with high flow cat.
Why don't you just get the primary from Maxxfab too? It's less expensive.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 28 Oct 2004, 06:47 pm
Senior Cruiser

I have what ya askin for. [8]
Hearthrob 2.5" dual tip, with the resonator remove from the midpipie & lowered 2" with Progress springs. And yes it rattles at times. It rubs on the upper watts link, at least I think that's what it's called. I'm going to stiffen up the rubber mounts and I'm sure that will take care of it. Or I guess you could give it a whack or two with the BFH where it rubs, but that would be a last resort. I also have the Maxfab 3"DP. The only person yet to tell me it was loud was my Pop [8] 'course, back in the day, this man drove a '69 Camaro RS with bias ply white wall tires [xx(] I'll try and take a pic of the DP this weekend. [^]
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer
Old 28 Oct 2004, 08:22 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by OurPTGT

I have what ya askin for. [8]
Hearthrob 2.5" dual tip, with the resonator remove from the midpipie & lowered 2" with Progress springs. And yes it rattles at times. It rubs on the upper watts link, at least I think that's what it's called. I'm going to stiffen up the rubber mounts and I'm sure that will take care of it. Or I guess you could give it a whack or two with the BFH where it rubs, but that would be a last resort. I also have the Maxfab 3"DP. The only person yet to tell me it was loud was my Pop [8] 'course, back in the day, this man drove a '69 Camaro RS with bias ply white wall tires [xx(] I'll try and take a pic of the DP this weekend. [^]
HOLD ON WITH THE BFH! I might be able to solve your problem. I had knocking with my Borla exhaust until I fab'd up a rear exhaust hanger for it. I put it at the end of the straight run under the car just before the big bend to the driver's side and hung it from the bolt that holds the heat sheild in place. This cured the problem...AND NO BFH! That long run from the front all the way to the rear side hanger was just too much, it really needs that midpoint hanger.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come