Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Anyone tried the K&N FIPK for GT?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Nov 2004, 06:33 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Anyone tried the K&N FIPK for GT?

http://www.knfilterchargers.com/sear...x?Prod=57-1531

They claimed a 12.13hp increase.

Anyone tried that and know where to get it (in Canada preferably)?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08 Nov 2004, 01:20 pm
Cool Cruiser

This has been discussed many times. There is no consensus about whether or not it's a worthwhile modification, and whether the engine computer doesn't recalibrate to remove any horsepower gains.
Old 08 Nov 2004, 06:37 pm
Cool Cruiser

I have it. I can't claim any seat of the pants inmprovement like I had on my Impala SS, but I've had no I'll effects either.

Get Stage 1 instead. That's got to be the best bang for the buck mod period. It should be everyones first performance mod (until Stage 2 comes out).
Old 08 Nov 2004, 07:01 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to crazie.eddie

It's hard to tell the true results with an open air intake system. If you have money to spend, dyno your car before and after the open air system. One thing to keep in mind, going away from the factory closed system, will make it very noisy on high accelerations, since the silencers will be removed. I have an Airaid CAI and plan to switch back to the stock system dyring the winter season, sinc the HP gains (if any) will not be necessary in the snow.

<b>\'04 PT GT Graphite Metalic w/Autostick: </b> Stage1, BTG Strut Tower Brace, Eibach Anti-Sway Bars, Airaid CAI, Mopar 2.5\" Dual Cat-Back (D: 14.48@93 - A/S: 14.56@90) <i>...more mods at CarDomain or PTCruiserWorld</i>
Old 08 Nov 2004, 08:51 pm
Senior Cruiser

I have the Typhoon and I can tell U this much: Increased noise but almost stock sounds while cruising. More responsive and about 8 to 10 more HP on the dyno. It does feel faster but not like going with stage 1. It looks nice and has no ill effects. It has not given me any more MPG. The computer does not seem to restrict the responsiveness any over time. I have the prototype model and it has been operational for around 18 mo now. It works the same summer or winter. It only needs cleaning once per year. It is a quality unit legal in all 50 states and does NOT void any warantees. Is it worth the money? [:I]
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 09 Nov 2004, 06:08 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for all the input.

As for additional noise, I love the sound of turbo spooling up and that's consider "music"

I doubt it will have the hp gain it claimed. Unfortunately I doubt I'll dyno the car before and after since it's a lot of $$$.

I will not go with Stage1. I will be patient and wait for stage 2.
Old 09 Nov 2004, 02:06 pm
Cool Cruiser

I'm with you on waiting for Stage 2. Hopefully we're not waiting in vain. I should have bought stage 1 a year ago.
Old 09 Nov 2004, 03:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The Typhoon has less advertised horsepower gains then the FIPK. I bought the FIPK. I love it sounds great and with the combination of FIPK and Stage 1. I ran consistant 14.50s at the track four times.
Old 09 Nov 2004, 05:59 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to crazie.eddie

The thing I like about the Airaid Cold Air Intake is that it prevents much of the hot engine air from getting to it. If coupled with a Keystone hood, then you will get more cold air to the Airaid.

Not sure where you live, but Stage 1 will not be a great necessity during the winter season. Maybe in the spring or summer is when you may want to consider it. Not sure about waiting for Stage 2, there's lots of speculation of it ever arriving.

<b>\'04 PT GT Graphite Metalic w/Autostick: </b> Stage1, BTG Strut Tower Brace, Eibach Anti-Sway Bars, Airaid CAI, Mopar 2.5\" Dual Cat-Back (D: 14.48@93 - A/S: 14.56@90) <i>...more mods at CarDomain or PTCruiserWorld</i>
Old 10 Nov 2004, 06:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I had the airaid, and went back to the factory airbox and got the amx intake and drag strip times,
1. airaid 14.85,
2. stock air box 15.10
3 amxintake with airaid 14.65
4 amxintake stock airbox with 2" ram air line form air duct to fenderwell 14.60, now you know the rest of the story .
sold the airaid and now have installed S1
next week back to the track.