Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
boost controller for less than $10. how to make it

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Nov 2004, 06:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default boost controller for less than $10. how to make it

I just got this from amx1397 and it works, the first time I tried it I though i was in my camaro( if I had one)

1. get a tee or Y fitting at auto parts store.
2. while you are there get about 5' if 1/4" vacuum hose.
3. get a 1/4 turn valve that has a 1/4" hose fitting in one end of it.
4. cut about 8" of the 1/4" hose, remove the orange or brown factory hose from the wastegate, that is the shinny thing as you look over the back of the engine at the turbo. Install the 1/4" x 8" hose to the wastegate, in the open end install the y of tee, (now you have the y with two open ends) install the factory hose on one of the open ends, and the 1/4" hose to the other end, run this into the car window (make sure you don't krimp it.)
install the 1/4 turn valve into the end of that hose.
close the valve, go for a drive. as you are driving do a (wot) slowly open the valve,(( stop I said slowly)) if you want open it wide open, you should get 18 lbs of boost, open it slow and when you get to the boost you want, test it 5 or 6 times, and that is where you want it leave it cut 6" of hose off near the y and install the valve and leave it there, or you can run the hose through the firewall like I did and mount the valve inside and run with it closed untill you need it. Then just open it all the way and you go,like hell, this is a bleed system and it works or you can spend 40 to 400 for a boost controller thar does the same thing. A car is something that takes you from point to point---------to me the car is the point (JJ)
love it or leave it try it or not your move. have fun enjoy Lowell
Old 11 Nov 2004, 02:10 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bluebluegt

I just got this from amx1397 and it works, the first time I tried it I though i was in my camaro( if I had one)
We have a Camaro. My PT will kill it with one ignition wire tied behind its back.
Old 11 Nov 2004, 03:29 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to crazie.eddie

Now you done it Mike. This is going to turn out as a Camaro vs. PT thread. LOL

<b>\'04 PT GT Graphite Metalic w/Autostick: </b> Stage1, BTG Strut Tower Brace, Eibach Anti-Sway Bars, Airaid CAI, Mopar 2.5\" Dual Cat-Back (D: 14.48@93 - A/S: 14.56@90) <i>...more mods at CarDomain or PTCruiserWorld</i>
Old 11 Nov 2004, 12:49 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to bigtommy83

Does this work with an aftermarket wastegate, cuz I know if you run a 15lb wastegate through the solenoid 2, it holds 30psi of boost so you have to bypass it.

\'04 GT 5-speed, Brand X, Air Force One Intake, Custom Flowmaster Exhaust (retired), SRT-4 exhaust no resonators, AGP Wastegate, Crusher Kit, Former Chrome Package, Mopar BOV, Custom Sub Box, Mopar Pillar Gauges, Hood Scoop, MBC, Stage 1, Mopar Stage 1 Springs, Hurst STS
Future Plans: Custom Intercooler Sprayer, 2-tone Paint Job
\"Hondas are like cigarettes, everyone cool smokes them\"
Old 14 Nov 2004, 11:09 am
Fresh Cruiser

Big tommy I don't know about the solenoids I have stock wastegate and with this setup I get20lbs of boost then drops to 15 , (auto) then change gear and back to 20. ect,
Old 19 Nov 2004, 03:45 pm
Senior Cruiser

I wouldn't do this instead of buying a MBC or EBC but I might do it to see How much more fun a boost control would be. (Or maybe if I had a grudge race in an hour.) Run 2 hoses in through the window, one for the bleed, the other for a boost guage. Jump in the PT for a test drive. If I like it, buy the real deal.

Old 20 Nov 2004, 01:36 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by crazie.eddie

Now you done it Mike. This is going to turn out as a Camaro vs. PT thread. LOL

Nah, I've been at the thirdgen boards (3rd Generation Camaro/Firebird) and those guys know what their cars can and can't do. They also are aware that the PTGT, especially with S1, is no slouch and nothing to mess with......unless you're talking the guys who have seriously reworked their 350 V8s and are making 500HP....those cars are fast. But a stock 305 V8, even a stock 350 V8, is no match for S1 cars.