PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
BOV Upgrade Kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Nov 2004, 08:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Fast04PTGT
Default BOV Upgrade Kit

Never owned a turboed car before ... how hard is it to install Mopars BOV upgrade kit?
Old 18 Nov 2004, 10:41 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to crazie.eddie

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sakigt

The mopar BOV is the blue plate
I haven't installed mine yet, but the difficulty is the 3rd screw, which is on the bottom left corner from the photo above. I believe the instructions require you to remove the battery and intake, but I think the intake is the only thing necessary to remove. The 3rd screw is very hard to reach for from the top, but a little bit more accessable from the underneath. You need to carefully bend or move the line a bit to access that 3rd screw.

<b>\'04 PT GT Graphite Metalic w/Autostick: </b> Stage1, BTG Strut Tower Brace, Eibach Anti-Sway Bars, Airaid CAI, Mopar 2.5\" Dual Cat-Back (D: 14.48@93 - A/S: 14.56@90) <i>...more mods at CarDomain or PTCruiserWorld</i>
Old 22 Nov 2004, 10:46 am
Fresh Cruiser

Ok, here is the trick...

My brother and I were able to install this in 45 minutes, after we made 2 separate trips to Autozone for tools. Buy a 10mm close-end ratchet wrench - $10. Have a friend hold the oil pipe - without bending it - case of beer $10. Finishing the install yourself and taking that first cruise with the BOV and hearing the woosh - priceless!

All kidding aside, he is right, the third bolt is a be-toch, but it is doable. Make sure you are paitent. I have really big hands and it was hard to get the screws started, but once you got that far it was easy. Make sure you give yourself 2 hours to do it right and make a fun project out of it.

If you have access to a lift - BY ALL MEANS USE IT! There is a service hole you can access bolt 3 from below. BUT DON'T try it by putting the car on jack stands. The only way to get to it is by standing under the car, you will never get your arm in the correct position if you are lying on your back.

Good luck.
Old 22 Nov 2004, 12:59 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dwysywd

If you have access to a lift - BY ALL MEANS USE IT! There is a service hole you can access bolt 3 from below. BUT DON'T try it by putting the car on jack stands. The only way to get to it is by standing under the car, you will never get your arm in the correct position if you are lying on your back.

Good luck.
Unless you have a stick, then the shifter cable gets in the way.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 22 Nov 2004, 02:28 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

Good luck.
I beg to differ, I have done 3 BOV installs using Rhino ramps. 2 auto-sticks at the track and 1 5sp at home. I agree with Cal Cruzer 5 speeds have less room because of the shifter cable. But you DON'T need a lift.

\'03 Electric Blue GT, silencers removed, K&N intake, Blanes Hood Struts, Emblems removed from rear hatch, Stage 1, Mopar BOV, Eibach springs, 18x8 Mille Miglia EV-R on 225/40/18 BFG g-Force T/A KDW 2, Eibach sway kit F&R, BTG Strut Bar, Chrome fuel door, custom 3\" cat-back exhaust with Magnaflow High-flow muffler, Blitz Dual Turbo Timer, Autometer Triple gauge pod, Autometer Ultra-lite with boost/vac, oil press and water temp gauges, Turbochargers.com wastegate, turboxs DSBC, Adams UCP, Dynoworks motor mounts with more to come.....
Old 22 Nov 2004, 07:55 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rice_killing_GT

Quote:

Good luck.
I beg to differ, I have done 3 BOV installs using Rhino ramps. 2 auto-sticks at the track and 1 5sp at home. I agree with Cal Cruzer 5 speeds have less room because of the shifter cable. But you DON'T need a lift.
No, I meant it was easier for me to do it from above than from below with the 5 speed. I couldn't get my hands up in there.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 22 Nov 2004, 09:04 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Buy a 10mm close-end ratchet wrench - $10. Have a friend hold the oil pipe - without bending it - case of beer $10.
Just a couple of notes:

1. Buy the full set of close end ratchet wrenchs. [)] Those things are great!!

2. Get the beer after the test drive!! [8)]
Old 23 Nov 2004, 12:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Boost

OK, I installed my Mopar BOV last week and I have yet to hear a swoosh. Anybody else with an autostick have this experience?[:I]
Old 23 Nov 2004, 12:18 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to crazie.eddie

You should be able to hear the noise in autostick mode. Start off in 1 or 2 and rapidly accelerate, before reaching 6K RPMs, let off the peddle quickly, then switch up to the next gear.

<b>\'04 PT GT Graphite Metalic w/Autostick: </b> Stage1, BTG Strut Tower Brace, Eibach Anti-Sway Bars, Airaid CAI, Mopar 2.5\" Dual Cat-Back (D: 14.48@93 - A/S: 14.56@90) <i>...more mods at CarDomain or PTCruiserWorld</i>
Old 23 Nov 2004, 12:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Boost

Thanks Eddie. I'll try that out later[^]