Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Hyperground

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Nov 2004, 10:52 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Hyperground

Finally got around to making my hyperground. Finally located the 8 ga wire I needed at a place called Stereo King where they install sound systems in vehicles. Met a nice young guy there who has a 13 sec Honda and also has his own hyperground. He turned me onto different lengths of both 4 ga and 8 ga wire that they had in a big barrel for free. Bought gold plated ring connectors for $2 a piece. So total cost for my kit was $20. I decided to go with the 8 ga wire. The 4 ga just seemed too big and not as pliable/bendable. Ran one wire from the negative battery cable to my strut bar. Couldn't run it to one of the three studs on the strut like it said in the Sun Automotive article because as some of you already know there isn't a lot of thread left after installing the strut bar. So I ran it to the allen bolt on the strut bar. Then I ran another cable from the negative clamp to the intake manifold and from there to a bolt on the tranny. From there another cable to the head and from there another cable to the pcm mounting bolt.

This is how it looked finished up.

When I started it up I noticed how even the engine sounded and purred. Headed out of town to the back roads where I test my GT after doing mods. I was leery as I had heard both good things and so so things when installing a kit. When I got on it I noticed right away it was pulling harder and when winding it out getting to redline lasted a lot longer. I actually could not take it to redline because I was going so friggin fast in third gear I shifted to fourth just to do so. Never got close to redline in fourth as I was doing close to 100 mph and I was getting close to the end of the road and a couple of farms on both sides of the road. Didn't want to chance someone pulling out of a driveway since I was coming up over a blind hill. Bottom line is I had more rpm in every gear, especially from third gear on. I am very happy with this mod. [8)]
Old 21 Nov 2004, 08:20 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to crazie.eddie

Cool! I'll have to try the cheap mod as well. I know it's kind of early to tell, but any improvements on MPG?

<b>\'04 PT GT Graphite Metalic w/Autostick: </b> Stage1, BTG Strut Tower Brace, Eibach Anti-Sway Bars, Airaid CAI, Mopar 2.5\" Dual Cat-Back (D: 14.48@93 - A/S: 14.56@90) <i>...more mods at CarDomain or PTCruiserWorld</i>
Old 21 Nov 2004, 02:32 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to RallyDRock

but the intake manifold is aluminum
not the best conductor in the world

the daisy chain idea is good
Old 21 Nov 2004, 02:34 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to hoopdiewagon

actually aluminum is pretty good. copper is better, gold is the best
Old 21 Nov 2004, 02:51 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by crazie.eddie

Cool! I'll have to try the cheap mod as well. I know it's kind of early to tell, but any improvements on MPG?
I only took my GT out that one time yesterday. I'll have to keep an eye out on some tank fulls.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 21 Nov 2004, 03:26 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to crazie.eddie

What made you decide doing your own hyperground system? I was just curious since you were looking at the Super Earth Ground kit on this on this thread. Also wondering why you ran the wires in series instead of parallel?

<b>\'04 PT GT Graphite Metalic w/Autostick: </b> Stage1, BTG Strut Tower Brace, Eibach Anti-Sway Bars, Airaid CAI, Mopar 2.5\" Dual Cat-Back (D: 14.48@93 - A/S: 14.56@90) <i>...more mods at CarDomain or PTCruiserWorld</i>
Old 21 Nov 2004, 03:50 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by crazie.eddie

What made you decide doing your own hyperground system? I was just curious since you were looking at the Super Earth Ground kit on this on this thread. Also wondering why you ran the wires in series instead of parallel?
I was looking at it online and my wife told me to go ahead and get it. I wasn't sure about the ready made universal kit. The cables are only supposed to be as long as they need to be. Excess lengths are not good. I looked at the kit that sold the wire and hardware where you had to cut your own lengths and attach the ring collectors. I measured out each cable I would need and came up with 6' total and 7' just to be on the safe side. I thought that wouldn't cost too much and why not make it myself and save money. So I did and it was easy. I used a daisy chain because I heard that was best per this article http://www.caraudiomag.com/testrepor...per/index.html
The young guy at Stereo King didn't daisy chain his Honda and didn't notice a whole lot of gain. He asked that I let him know how the daisy chain worked out so I'll stop in and see him next weekend.

Old 21 Nov 2004, 04:10 pm
Cool Cruiser

Did you solder the wires to the eyelet ends? I soldered mine as I figured it wouldn't hurt and should make better contact as well as keeping moisture and corrosion out.Just the wires from the battery to the head, and from battery to PCM seemed to make a difference.That change coupled with the NGK Iridium spark plugs makes the little GT pull harder to redline.I saw the gold plated eyelets at kraigen auto, but they were too large and there wasn't a very good selection size wise.
Old 21 Nov 2004, 06:50 pm
Veteran Cruiser

No, I didn't solder them. Used a crimping tool to crimp them real well.

Old 22 Nov 2004, 09:28 am
Fresh Cruiser

I want to raise a "stupid" question... Why is it that EVERY time I jump on the forum to read something cool, someone always has to ask..."Did you get an increase in MPG?"

For the record, you will never see an increase in MPG - a real increase, not the placebo increase - with any performance modification, lest maybe on a diesel (propane injection and most chip mods will actually incr MPG and performance on a diesel).

Please do not take my word for it, ask any performance magazine if there is a modification out there that will increase performance and still increase MPG.

Buy a base model if you want 30 MPG...

Otherwise, ENJOY your GT. That is why you bought it?

I bought mine b/c I was sick of alway worrying about MPG. Heck, if I am willing to spend $250 more per year to pay for 93 octane, about $100 more per month for a GT, why should I care if I can get 21 MPG instead of 20 MPG.

I actually owned several diesels before this GT. I had VW Passat diesel and one thing that every gearhead on the forum talked NON-STOP about was what their MPG and their vehicle lifetime average was!

Just remember, if you drive 55 you get good fuel economy, otherwise, if you exceed that, like testing you car at 100 mph - and I do it too - don't waste time on MPG gains. It is like [xx(]!!!

Great artile, BTW, and I will be upgrading.

If you are a MPG nut, don't take my cut too seriously, just remember what you bought and why you bought it!