Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Mufflers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Nov 2004, 08:37 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Mufflers

Hello everyone. Need some advice. Since i do not have the funds for a complete exhaust system im thinking about adding a performance muffler, either flowmaster or magnaflow. some of the shops around here say to go with magnaflow because of the sound it would produce on the car. They say the flowmaster muffler does not sound good with a 4 cylinder engine. Also can I expect a performace differnce or is it mostly for the sound? Im looking for a good low rumble sound not a ricer sound. Do anyone of you guys have any of these mufflers? And are you happy with them? Thanks in advance.
Old 30 Nov 2004, 08:41 pm
Regular Cruiser

I was looking for the same thing. What I found was that by working with a local shop they can help you tune the sound as you like it. You can start with the muffler, and then add a resonator if you need to.

Mike
Old 30 Nov 2004, 11:56 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to bigtommy83

I agree with nozzano. Find a decent muffler shop (NOT a carx, midas, meineke, they do not care). Exhausts can be tuned to your liking. I used to have a 40 series delta flow Flowmaster that replaced the rear muffler. It was just angled instead of laying flat. Fit perfectly and I thought it sounded nice, but then again, I have always loved Flowmaster. The 40 series is a little louder than most people are told to put on the PT's, which is a 50 series.
The 50 series is what Flowmaster uses on their catback kit. After having the Flowmaster for a while, I got rid of it, because I wanted duals in my new at the time Xenon rear fascia. I opted for no mufflers.
I haven't seen anybody else do what I have done yet, so maybe I am original. I put the SRT-4 axle back section in place of the PT axle back section. The stock Srt-4's have two resonators under the passenger area. I opted to leave our straight pipe alone.
My buddy has a stock SRT-4 and people like my exhaust a lot better when we both drive up to a spot. It was also a big hit at the Block Party. It just depends on what you like in an exhaust.

\'04 GT 5-speed, Brand X, Air Force One Intake, Custom Flowmaster Exhaust (retired), SRT-4 exhaust no resonators, AGP Wastegate, Crusher Kit, Former Chrome Package, Mopar BOV, Custom Sub Box, Mopar Pillar Gauges, Hood Scoop, MBC, Stage 1, Mopar Stage 1 Springs, Hurst STS
Future Plans: Custom Intercooler Sprayer, 2-tone Paint Job
\"Hondas are like cigarettes, everyone cool smokes them\"
Old 02 Dec 2004, 09:18 pm
Senior Cruiser

We don't need no stinkin mufflas... [8]
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer
Old 02 Dec 2004, 09:33 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to AZ_IceMan

[?]I 2nd that, besides, talked to a Flowmaster Rep a while back, they don't recommend their mufflers for the turboed cruiser, basically said that it falls flat on its face performance wise.[:0]Their chambered design suxs for our cars, need a straight through design like borla or magnaflow.

PrototypePower Performance UpCharge Pipe, Custom Cold Air Intake
Mopar Blow Off Valve, Mopar Stage ? Mopar Stage 1 PCM, AGP WasteGate Actuator,
TurboXS Dual Stage Boost Controller, TruBendz 3\" DownPipe with Custom 3\" Dual Exhaust,
NGK V-Power Plugs and AGP Performance Wires,
Autometer A-Pillar Pod with Boost/Trans Temp Guages
Old 02 Dec 2004, 10:32 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by onyx pt
...im thinking about adding a performance muffler, either flowmaster or magnaflow. some of the shops around here say to go with magnaflow because of the sound it would produce on the car. They say the flowmaster muffler does not sound good with a 4 cylinder engine. Also can I expect a performace differnce or is it mostly for the sound? Im looking for a good low rumble sound not a ricer sound...
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...naflow,exhaust

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...chTerms=magnaf

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...ustlow,exhaust
Old 03 Dec 2004, 03:27 am
Young Cruiser

Thanks for your help guys, so from what I understand the best choice would be a magnaflow muffler because it does not have chambers like the flowmaster mufflers. Is this correct? I just dont want to lose any performance when I install a muffler. Will that happen if I install the magnaflow? Also is there a certain magnaflow muffler I should get? I know the flowmaster had different series muffler 40,50 etc. Which magnaflow would be the best for my car? Thanks again guys.
Old 03 Dec 2004, 04:24 am
Veteran Cruiser

If you're staying with a 2 1/4" exhaust I'd get the BTG axleback exhaust. http://www.pttuning.com/performanceP...ackSingle.html
I loved the sound and it is a flow through exhaust. I would never have sold it except I went to a 2 1/2" exhaust.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 03 Dec 2004, 10:03 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to dfunkdj

If your running a turbo go with straight pipe no mufflers or resenator It really sounds good thats what I am running with customs duals. I also have a 2002 Pt with a single 30" cheery boomb styl muffler under the car into dualls not res either it is louder then my tubo and really has a deep rumble.. Your best bet is to find a good shop that will chop off your tank muffler and try holding different muffler to you exhaust and let you listen to them. Then it's up to you If you live in pinellas county FL, Go to deep discount mufflers on missouri ave.

Don
Stage 1, Greddy blow off valve, AGP WGA, Custom open dual exhaust, Denso plugs, Xtremeboost upcharge pipe, AMX intake pipe, Ramair hoods hood, Apc ground effects kit, lowerd 3\", Turbo xs MBC, auto meter double gauge pod, and 2 more gauge mountd on sterring wheel {oil psi and temp, boost, water temp}
apc 2nd gen tail lights, more to come soon
Tampabay Pt Cruisers</b></font id=\"orange\">
Old 04 Dec 2004, 09:35 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to AZ_IceMan

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by onyx pt

Thanks for your help guys, so from what I understand the best choice would be a magnaflow muffler because it does not have chambers like the flowmaster mufflers. Is this correct? I just dont want to lose any performance when I install a muffler. Will that happen if I install the magnaflow? Also is there a certain magnaflow muffler I should get? I know the flowmaster had different series muffler 40,50 etc. Which magnaflow would be the best for my car? Thanks again guys.
Well as far as the flowmaster question goes you are right, magnaflow doesn't use chambers like flowmaster, that's why the flowmaster is not the ideal choice. I'm not sure on which magnaflow to get though, but like DfunkDJ said, I'd just go with no muffler at all. []

PrototypePower Performance UpCharge Pipe, Custom Cold Air Intake
Mopar Blow Off Valve, Mopar Stage ? Mopar Stage 1 PCM, AGP WasteGate Actuator,
TurboXS Dual Stage Boost Controller, TruBendz 3\" DownPipe with Custom 3\" Dual Exhaust,
NGK V-Power Plugs and AGP Performance Wires,
Autometer A-Pillar Pod with Boost/Trans Temp Guages