Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Brake pad replacement question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Dec 2004, 04:57 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Brake pad replacement question

I have heard that new (better) pads will greatly reduce the brake dust, my question is, can I just do a pad swap without turning the rotors?

My car is a 2004 touring turbo with less than 5,000 miles on it.

Also, are any special tools needed?

Thanks

Mike
Old 02 Dec 2004, 08:38 pm
Cool Cruiser

Mike,

Never, ever replace your brake pads without making sure your rotors are true. The pads will wear out faster.

My two cents,

Scott
Old 02 Dec 2004, 10:02 pm
Cool Cruiser

Okay, my 2 cents. If you have fairly thin rotors to start (like the PT and most new cars) and you don't have any warpage (pedal pulse)or gouges, slap the pads in. This is how the cops and fleets do it, and how some OE's are recommending. Make sure you use quality pads, clean and lube as the OE states and apply any sound damping supplied. If you hate any brake noise and don't mind replacing the rotors every 3-5 brake jobs, turn them. The main reason to turn rotors that aren't damaged is for noise supression. A wise man once said "the germans don't care if it makes noise, as long as it stops, the americans don't care if it stops, as long as it's quiet." I think everyone wants both, but when you cut a rotor, you are decreasing the amount of metal that abosrbs the heat, decreasing the amount of braking.

2004 Dark Plum Base with windows tinted, cabin filter, silencers removed, fog lights, 18\'s, all Red taillights, Blaine\'s struts, modesty cover, color-matched center dash, 06 rear bumper
Old 02 Dec 2004, 10:26 pm
Senior Cruiser

With 5000 on the rotors and no wobble in the steering wheel when you stop, go ahead and swap them. You could use some fine sand paper to break the glaze on the rotor if you want to but probably not needed.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 03 Dec 2004, 01:13 am
Young Cruiser

sure go ahead and swap the pads, no special tools needed. just be sure to give some extra room when stopping till the pads break in.

BUD
Old 03 Dec 2004, 01:38 am
Regular Cruiser

Thanks all. I thought I could get by with a simple pad swap.

I will do a search, but does anyone know of the 'best' pad to use to cut down on the break dust?

thanks

Mike
Old 03 Dec 2004, 07:12 am
Cool Cruiser

Check out Raybestos or NAPA ceramic pads
Old 03 Dec 2004, 01:59 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Turning the rotors is sooo cheap,(free at some auto parts stores), why not do it should be the question.

There is no free lunch, if the rotors are good, only a thin skin will be removed to make a perfect mating surface. If the disc is warped or needs turning, you will know that you did the right thing in stead of finding the flaw somewhere on the freeway while you are trying to panic stop from eighty (when a perfectly operating brake system will make the difference)!

Brake performance is not like a speed item, IT IS THERE TO SAVE YOUR LIFE AND THOSE WHO RIDE WITH YOU!

Braking efficiency will never be as good as if you started with a flat surface on both the rotor and pad.

The pads WILL wear out faster when you try to make unmatched surfaces mate.

You can easily warp, or wear out your rotors in this process (above).

HERE IT IS!

Put the PT on jackstands in the driveway, remove the front wheels, spin off the disc retainers, remove the calipers(2 bolts), take the discs to the shop (20 minute proceedure), reassemble with new pads and don't forget to lube the sliding surfaces between the caliper and the caliper bracket. DONE!

This really is an easy job and does not require a degree from Wyo Tec. You and your passengers will be thankful the next time you need to panic stop to avoid that "nut case" driver and save your lives.[8)]
Old 03 Dec 2004, 04:09 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Kirby

Turning the rotors is sooo cheap,(free at some auto parts stores), why not do it should be the question.
Kirby does make a good point. You can get them turned at some parts stores for about $5.00 per. But if there are no grooves or wobble or anything I probably wouldn't do it just because it will take some wear potential off the rotor. If you have a good machinist that will do a runout first and see if or how much it would take, then do just the bare minimum, perhaps. I am not sure if Kragen will be that carefull.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 03 Dec 2004, 05:17 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to dfunkdj

I dont know how thick the turbo rotora are but your stock Pt ones will probally not take a turning I went to replace the pads on our 2002 cranberry Pt at 30,000 miles and the rotoe were trash and could not be turned. I am waiting to see how the turbo one are hopefully they are thicker and tougher then the non turbo pts.

Don
Stage 1, Greddy blow off valve, AGP WGA, Custom open dual exhaust, Denso plugs, Xtremeboost upcharge pipe, AMX intake pipe, Ramair hoods hood, Apc ground effects kit, lowerd 3\", Turbo xs MBC, auto meter double gauge pod, and 2 more gauge mountd on sterring wheel {oil psi and temp, boost, water temp}
apc 2nd gen tail lights, more to come soon
Tampabay Pt Cruisers</b></font id=\"orange\">