Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
5spd. Stutter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Apr 2003, 12:03 am
Young Cruiser

Default 5spd. Stutter

I've been having this intermitent sputtering under full throttle bursts between 4800-5400rpm since I got my 5spd. Been chocking it up to poor gas, but after taking my buddy who sold me the GT he asked one of his Chrysler mechanic friends and its been happening to a lot of 5 spds.

I'm off to the dealer tomorrow for a new chrysler software update that is supposed to cure this. I should have more info tomorrow.

Don

'03 Inferno Red 5 spd. Loaded
Old 09 Apr 2003, 02:08 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Those software upgrades from DC correct many problems. No similar problems with my GT 5-speed which now has 2000 miles on it. I have always used Chevron Supreme (92 octane) gasoline and have been very pleased with it.

Good luck.

See my "Red ROAD ROCKET" at: Gary's GT Turbo

Old 09 Apr 2003, 11:58 am
Senior Cruiser

I took mine in and reported this. Of course the mechanic that drove it after a day and a half said that he did not notice it. So I paid for my rental car and drove home with zero satisfaction and still had the problem.

Inferno Red GT, chrome wheels, chrome AMP fuel door, chrome side spears, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, silencers removed from airbox...ain't this car fun?!?!?
Old 09 Apr 2003, 12:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I get this sputter on my auto PT Turbo. It get's a little more noticable if I remove the silencers from the airbox.

Sometimes the car pulls great. Other times it will do this. I also seem to be getting large variances in boost. Max 6-7psi one day, max 9-10psi the next. Similar outside temps as well. It's driving me nuts.

Is this software upgrade something anyone can walk into the dealership and request or was yours a special situation?

Louis

03 Black PT Turbo
02 Red Aztek GT AWD
Old 09 Apr 2003, 12:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

My 5 spd. does this too. And of course it's intermittent. And it is worse with the silencers out. But sometimes it's fine. I just know if I take it into the dealer it won't do it...but I'll try anyhow.

DON668.....Let us know if you find something out about the software update...I haven't heard anything about that. (not saying it's not true of course...)

03 Silver GT - K&N filter
Old 09 Apr 2003, 01:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I've noted this same "hesitation" problem on our new 2 month old GT. If you stomp on it shuttering does occur. The car is near perfect except for this problem.
Old 09 Apr 2003, 08:33 pm
Senior Cruiser

This is good news to me. Mine has been doing this also for some time now and I have about 10k on mine. As stated above, I just know it won't do it when i take it in. I thought it was just me. Time for a service appt...

Kevin & Donna's Elec Blue GT

Pictures of our PT GT

http://www.dreamcruisers.org/index/Page_1x.html
Old 10 Apr 2003, 12:42 am
Young Cruiser

So I called the mechanic friend and here's what I got.

It seems some of the GT's received bad plugs and foul quickly. What DC has told them to do is install new ones and re-flash the software and between the two, problem solved. He said he's done this to five GT's so far with varying mileage and has no repeat problems what so ever.(the plugs he pulled WERE toast!) Although I was hoping for something like "your fuel rail is starving at 5200rpm..." but he says this is the problem.

I'm going in on friday so I'll keep everyone informed. (plus I'll be talking with him face to face, and I have some questions about having removed my silencers etc.)

Edited by - don668 on 04/09/2003 23:50:53
Old 17 Apr 2003, 12:31 am
Young Cruiser

So I've had my GT in the shop and back now. What they did was install new plugs (they were'nt too bad) and there was a new flash upgrade. So far a noticeable improvement. No stutter in first and second, and just a little in third. (5200rpm.) My dealer also called DC techs and they have heard of the problem and are working on a complete fix.

Second note, the mechanic had just returned from training and the subject of the silencers came up. They are on just to quiet down the turbo sound. There is No issues removing them. As he put it the engine is a big air pump... no harm in adding more air.

Don

Old 17 Apr 2003, 11:59 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Can you list the info on the Flash Update that they provided either on the ticket or the label under the hood?

Thanks

2003 Onyx Green PT-GT
K&N Drop-In Air Filter
Kenwood Sirius Satellite Radio System
Garmin Street Pilot III Color GPS