Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
GT EGT/Boost Pod Pics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Apr 2003, 04:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default GT EGT/Boost Pod Pics

Installed EGT and Boost gauge finally. The Autometer Lunar Series is a perfect match for dash lights. I used the pass thru area others have mentioned where you unbolt two bolts, drill, and then use a grommet to protect wires going through the firewall. This turbo runs hot, and is above 900 most of the time, 1000-1200 with normal driving. If you race, tow, or just like to keep track of engine temps, a EGT probe for turbo temps is a must. So far it settles to 800 quickly and then slowly after that. I will probably use anything below 800 as a shut off point.

Old 13 Apr 2003, 04:56 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to PK Cruiser

How hard are those to install? Not to mechanical when it comes to cars...can fix an airplane but can't do much to a car...Also..I know this is off topic...but about how much does a "turbo timer" cost? Any suggestions on a good one? Thankz...

Old 13 Apr 2003, 05:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Some degree of ability is needed. I took the car to a local muffler shop that I personally use for EGT's. They have the tools, drills, welder if needed, and they drilled the hole, then tapped in the bolt that the EGT threads into. You would also need to have a electrical probe to test for lighting. The GT is a bit harder to find access points for lights etc, but not bad. Threading the wires, boost tube, and other clips etc, if you have never done it, it would help if you found someone who has, just to make the job go smoother. I have not used a turbo timer, I just wait till the temperature is where I want it.

Old 13 Apr 2003, 06:30 pm
Senior Cruiser

If I may be so rude could you give me an idea of how much something like this costs fully installed??? I was going to go with a triple gauge pod but since the AFR seems too much of a project to install and of limited usefullness I now think your set up is best!

03 GT, Beltline Pinstripe, K&N Drop In Filter, Interior Filter, Locking Gas Cap, Racing Pedals, Hood Struts,Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat, Billet Oil Cap, Chrome Valve Caps, Shorty Antenna, Front bumper Inserts, Dual Horns, and Rear Splash Guards.
Old 13 Apr 2003, 09:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I believe the pod was around $80 with shipping, $20 at local muffler shop for the EGT probe, the Autometer gauges were 365.85 from www.jannettyracing.com May seem high, but they come with all necessary hardware, electric wiring and are very high grade, no buzzing with boost. There are less expensive gauges, such as VDO, but I had to use a small filter on that boost to reduce buzzing. The lunar series match the GT's dash lights, which make the money seem small when the final project is turned on at night. I also bought paint for the pod to match the dash color, got that from Chrysler.

Old 14 Apr 2003, 10:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ripster, do you know where the muffler shop installed the thermocouple for the egt gauge? Did they put it in the exhaust manifold just upstream from the turbo? I have one to install and would like to get an idea where to go. I have a Dodge truck with a Cummins and have an egt gauge so I am not new to this, just wanted and idea what other people are doing for the location.

Old 15 Apr 2003, 09:35 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Exhaust Depot

I installed one on my my SRT-4. The best place to install it is on the manifold, right before the turbo. But the problem with this is that the chips will hit the turbo and damage it so i put it on the portion of the manifold that comes off the turbo. IT still reads great being that the rear of the turbo is part of the manifold.

To install it, you will need a 1/8 NPT tap. You drill a hole then use a 1/8 NPT tap to thread into the manifold. Insirt the 1/8 npt bung that comes with the egt set then insert the thermal couple.

YOu can see the EGT on my dash. Its inside the steering wheel. The one next to the blue screen is the OEM boost gauge.
The Greddy unit I have is $162.00. THe good th ing about it is that it comes with a small thermal couple that does not have to go deep into the manifold. It comes with everything that you need to mount it. EGT, Gauge, wiring , instructions. The greddy boost gauge is also excellent. No noise issues at all. They also come with in the electronic version where you have a transducer send an electrical sigan to the boost gauge. It comes with a peak warning too.

3" Turbo Back Prototype, Greddy EGT, HKS SSBOV, GReddy-e01 Boost controller, Blitz Turbo Timer.

Edited by - exhaust depot on 04/15/2003 08:40:08
Old 15 Apr 2003, 08:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Post turbo, the GT has quite a flange down there, so you can't get real close to the turbo, but it still reads up there 1000 to 1200 in normal driving. Pre turbo requires more work and separation of the turbo to protect it from filings.
Old 16 Apr 2003, 01:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for replying guys. I think I am going to take the exhaust manifold cover off and see how close I can get to the turbo. I hope it is not wasted time. In the picture of the Neon probe placement, it looks like there is a lot more room to work, that would be nice! Oh well, I will see how it all works out.

Inferno Red GT automatic received 07/19/2002
Old 18 Apr 2003, 11:20 pm
Cool Cruiser

Ripster..Looks really good...any pics of that EGT probe??
My Boost/Vac and Pyrometer are on order!!!
Will have my mechanic install but need to know where.
Thanks!

Rob