Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Surging/Stalling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Feb 2005, 06:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Surging/Stalling

My 03 GT has learned a new trick... Sometimes when comming to a stop, the engine RPM will drop to around 300, as if it's going to stall, then catch itself and surge a few times before the idle stabilizes. On a couple of occasions, the motor has actually stalled. Happens when I slow down for a light and my speed drops below about 5mph. It used to be a rare occurance, but recently has been happening more and more. Car has 27000 miles.

I've checked the codes (none stored or pending), replaced the battery (it was leaking), cleaned the throttle body and IAC, tightened the PCV valve, and it also has new NGK plugs. None of these made any difference at all to this problem. It runs better, but the stalling/surging was unchanged. I also installed Stage 1 a while back, when the problem was a rare occurance, and that didn't help or hurt.

It was at the dealer once for two days. They "couldn't duplicate" the problem and basically had no clue, and didn't seem to care.

Has anyone had a similar problem? Any ideas? I was thinking maybe a bad TPS, but I checked it and it looks fine. Any help is appreciated.

Old 03 Feb 2005, 07:49 pm
Senior Cruiser

could be a fuel pressure problem too. a pump slowly dying or a filter clogging up.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 03 Feb 2005, 07:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I thought of that, but it seems like a dying pump or clogged filter would show up more at high RPM or heavy load.

Fuel pressure could be the problem. These engines have a dead-head type of fuel system, don't they? I.E. there's no fuel return to the tank? Where's the regulator located, and are they known to fail?
Old 03 Feb 2005, 08:34 pm
Young Cruiser

Had a similar problem. Thought about failing fuel pump or clogged filter. Turned out to be a faulty TPS (throttle position sensor). As soon as it was replaced everything was gravvy!
[8)]
But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
Carl Sagan (1934 - 1996)
Old 03 Feb 2005, 08:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

ATL, was your problem intermittant?

Mine usually runs great, but once in a while (more and more often) it will happen. When it happens once it will most likely happen several times soon after. Then it will be OK for a couple of days. Maybe when I tested it the TPS was having a good day.....
Old 04 Feb 2005, 07:59 pm
Young Cruiser

Yes it was. There did not seem to be any rhyme nor reason as to what was causing the problem. It just always seemed to happen the worst times like just before the light turns green and I was the first car in line to make a left turn[xx(]

But since the sensor was replaced it has not happened. (8 mos)
But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
Carl Sagan (1934 - 1996)
Old 04 Feb 2005, 09:02 pm
Senior Cruiser

how about a vacuum leak? [:I]
FPR is in the tank, I think [:I]
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer
Old 05 Feb 2005, 03:35 am
Senior Cruiser

Don't know if this is much help but my Mustang had the same symptoms and a new tps fixed it right up!! Also check for anything in the fuel system like dirty injectors, vacuum leaks, etc!
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 05 Feb 2005, 01:41 pm
Cool Cruiser

I had the same problem. the dealer installed a new PCM and when I got home from the dealers I installed new plugs and Bosch premium plug wires.I had no problem with stalling after that.I am currently running the NGK iridiums (LZTR6AIX-13, #2315) GAPPED @ .045.I also added 2 extra ground wires, battery to head, battery to PCM. Now the idle is so smooth I had to take a double take a few times to see if the engine was running!
Old 05 Feb 2005, 03:01 pm
Senior Cruiser

Could be a bad O2 sensor. I had one fail on my Dodge truck and my mechanic said that Mopar gets them mostly from low bid sources.