Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
rear hood seal in or out?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Feb 2005, 03:12 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default rear hood seal in or out?

Has anyone done any current tests to see if removing the rear hood seal has any advantage in keeping the intake manifold, turbo and PCM cooler? I haven't seen any postings for quite a while concerning this matter.
Old 05 Feb 2005, 05:44 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by littleblueGT

Has anyone done any current tests to see if removing the rear hood seal has any advantage in keeping the intake manifold, turbo and PCM cooler? I haven't seen any postings for quite a while concerning this matter.
The final verdict was to keep it in.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 05 Feb 2005, 09:40 pm
Senior Cruiser

Put mine back in and high speed travel is quieter and, for some reason cooler!
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 06 Feb 2005, 01:27 pm
Cool Cruiser

I put my seal back in when we had the heavy rains.I noticed that in heavy traffic the temps seemed higher and the performance dropped off as compared with the seal in.I was just curious to see if others had the same results in traffic.Thanks for the input.
Old 06 Feb 2005, 03:36 pm
Veteran Cruiser

The car was designed so that the airflow would go down over the turbo. With the rubber out the airflow goes out where the rubber is missing and does not cool the turbo.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 07 Feb 2005, 02:16 pm
Senior Cruiser

I have my outside temp sensor mounted in my airbox running an Airaid intake. I have also mounted the temp sensor in various places in the engine compartment. I found temps higher when I had the strip out. I think someone else did a similar test and found the same. I put mine back in.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 07 Feb 2005, 06:05 pm
Cool Cruiser

I did some temp tests with it in and out and found no change while moving above 25 or so. I put it back in too.

[8]
Old 24 Feb 2005, 06:45 pm
Senior Cruiser

I think if it ran better with it out.DC wouldn't
put one in.That would be another nickel in their pocket.

Wife has a 03 limited
(Steel Blue)
Old 27 Feb 2005, 04:54 am
Senior Cruiser

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Don't give them anymore more cost cutting ideas, they do OK without your help!![xx(][8)]

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jimbo

I think if it ran better with it out.DC wouldn't
put one in.That would be another nickel in their pocket.
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 27 Feb 2005, 12:06 pm
Cool Cruiser

I guess I will be learning to live with it "out" after I install my Cowl Induction hood. But then I also have the PTeazer grill & front end going in too.