Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Removed silencers/K&N = MPG

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Apr 2003, 11:38 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Removed silencers/K&N = MPG

My experience with removing the silencers and installing a K&N drop in filter has been a positive one all around so far. I got 21MPG on the first tank full since then. That combined with a sense that the performance has stepped up a tad (although I don't trust the seat-of-the-pants meter).

Mind you this is mostly commuting back and forth on Rt.270 north of D.C. Stop and go traffic at least half of the time. I had been getting about 18MPG average prior. I hope it's a lasting effect. We'll see.

I used to get 18-24MPG in the ImpalaSS before I changed the gear ratio and torque converter stall speed. Mileage has been the biggest disappointment in the GT. Actually I expected it, but it's hard to justify another guzzler in the driveway.

Black '03 PT Turbo
Black '94 Impala SS
Old 18 Apr 2003, 11:54 am
Senior Cruiser

Dragula
My impressions are the same as yours. Did you remove the silencer inside the tube that goes to the turbo too? That is my next project. Ian-PT-GT pointed this one out to us but I haven't found a way to get it out yet. It is integral with the tube itself. Pull the tube out and look down it you will see where it chokes down in the center.

Inferno Red GT, chrome wheels, chrome AMP fuel door, chrome side spears, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, silencers removed from airbox...ain't this car fun?!?!?
Old 18 Apr 2003, 06:36 pm
Young Cruiser

Read this thread:
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...?TOPIC_ID=1864
Instructions are inside

Mike

90 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD - 300 Hp
03 PT Cruiser GT - 215 Hp
Old 21 Apr 2003, 12:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
quote:
Dragula
My impressions are the same as yours. Did you remove the silencer inside the tube that goes to the turbo too? That is my next project. Ian-PT-GT pointed this one out to us but I haven't found a way to get it out yet. It is integral with the tube itself. Pull the tube out and look down it you will see where it chokes down in the center.

Inferno Red GT, chrome wheels, chrome AMP fuel door, chrome side spears, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, silencers removed from airbox...ain't this car fun?!?!?
Ok Cal - Just got the other silencers done and a K&N put in several weeks ago - great change in sound and performance by the way - now this. (Just kidding) What about replacing the entir tube or is there other necessary parts on that tube that would stop a full tube replacement. I am also wondering why K&N hasen't developed their AIR INJECTION yet for the GT. My guess is that their AIR INJECTION would replace this tube.

Inferno Red GT Auto-Stick - Chrome Grill, Chrome Rear Mud Guards, Chrome Beltline, Chrome Wheels, Magnetic Flames
Old 21 Apr 2003, 12:17 pm
Senior Cruiser

Dragula,

Yeah, I agree. That would be the best solution. I am sure that at some point K&N will come out with one but I like the stealth stock look. I was thinking of trying to cut the rubber parts off of the stock tube then attaching it to a black pipe, powder coated or something, to keep that look.

Someone else had the idea of cutting a hole in the bottom of the stock box to let more air in. Again, invisible from the top of the engine but those K&N panel filters really flow well.

Old 21 Apr 2003, 01:14 pm
Cool Cruiser

havent seen the third silencer yet...but could it be cut or drilled out of the tube w/o cutting the tube itself??

Rob
Old 21 Apr 2003, 01:27 pm
Senior Cruiser

I'm not sure. It is just a narrowing of the tube between the airbox and the turbo. I was thinking the same thing when I first heard about it but once I saw it I could see no easy way to do it. You will see what I mean when you look at it.

Old 21 Apr 2003, 02:07 pm
Cool Cruiser

gotta check that out today!!

Rob
Old 21 Apr 2003, 02:08 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The only way I see to remove the third silencer is to build an entire tube and save the stock one for service.

All you need are two tubes( one 90 Degree bend 2 1/4 tube and a 2 3/4 45 Degree bent tube), three couplers (one 2 1/4, one 2 1/4 to 2 3/4, and one 2 3/4 couplers) and six clamps to hold them together.

This would replace the entire tube/silencer combination.

It is still in the tinkering mode. You can get the tubes made from PVC but it would look like a Toilet drain. I will be going to a muffler shop to see if they have the tubes with the bends. if I am happy with the invention I will take it to be chromed.

Ian

Old 21 Apr 2003, 02:26 pm
Cool Cruiser

Let us know how u do!! Take pics and I will post if u need...
BTW Ian - TurboXs makes a BOV that claims 110db of sound!!
Also a bit cheaper than HKS...
Any thoughts??
Thanks

Rob