Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New WGA, Thermostat and DSBC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Mar 2005, 03:42 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default New WGA, Thermostat and DSBC

My wife and I went to Deen (hyracer) and Kris's this weekend for a visit and to get my AGP WGA, 180* thermostat and Turbo XS Dual Stage BC installed. While Deen and I worked on my car the wives spent the day visiting antique stores and shopping. Many, many thanks to Deen for getting the installs done. I helped but I know just enough to get myself in trouble. Deen is the man with the plan. We spent a good part of the day doing the installs and taking drives to get the wga and dsbc dialed in plus taking time out for Deen to fire up the grill and make us some lunch. When we were satisfied that everything was working we discovered that I needed to change plugs because of a miss my GT developed when getting on it. I'd changed plugs 11k miles ago but it just goes to show you how fast plugs can go when we are driving with more performance. Luckily Deen had some new Copper Plus plugs lying around and I was able to buy them off of him. After installing the plugs I took my GT for a spin. It was almost dark by then and I had to be careful because I didn't know the roads all that well. Still managed to scare the crap out of myself. I was winding it out on this straight section and after hitting 3rd gear I flipped the switch to the 2nd stage of the bc (1st stage is 15 lbs). My GT shot forward and immediately to 18 lbs. That next curve came up way fast and I had to hit the brakes and do some quick downshifting. Decided to head back to Deen's as I didn't know the roads well enough with the speeds my GT was capable of doing. On Sunday, on the way home, I was able to use both stages of the bc. My mod barometer, my wife, was duly impressed and mentioned a couple of 4 letter words whenever I hit the 2nd stage.
Many, many thanks to Deen and Kris for making us feel right at home. They live in a beautiful setting, the food was excellent and socializing was great. A great time.......and did I mention my GT is now faster and scarier? [}]
Old 08 Mar 2005, 02:53 pm
Senior Cruiser

Sounds like you're on your way to having a GREEN BALL OF FIRE!

Hey, with the first stage do you have any part throttle boost issues or is everything the same as before? Do you need to switch out of the second stage after WOT or can you also drive at part throttle with it still on? In other words, is everything just bigger and better with more top end power or do you have any drivability trade offs?
Old 09 Mar 2005, 04:34 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 2step

Sounds like you're on your way to having a GREEN BALL OF FIRE!

Hey, with the first stage do you have any part throttle boost issues or is everything the same as before? Do you need to switch out of the second stage after WOT or can you also drive at part throttle with it still on? In other words, is everything just bigger and better with more top end power or do you have any drivability trade offs?
I drive either conservatively (6-7 lbs boost and under) or full on WOT so I really never have a problem with PTB. It's when you punch it 1/2 throttle that you will have PTB issues. With the way I drive, driveability is still good. I have driven my GT cruising at freeway speeds with the 2nd stage on and had no problem just to see if I could. I don't use the 2nd stage all that much though, sometimes when I pass on a two lane highway or get on the freeway. The 1st stage set at 15 lbs is a lot of power. I no longer have weather issues determine how high the boost goes. Before the DSBC I was lucky to get 12-13 lbs of boost in the winter here in Oregon. Now it does not matter what the temp is, I get my boost settings of 15 lbs 1st stage and 18 lbs 2nd stage. I find it easy to stay out of PTB issues and the wga and the DSBC are, IMHO, two great performance mods. [?]

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 13 Mar 2005, 09:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

Mean Green, which WGA did you use?(specifically what model) I tried searching for one made to fit the GT but no luck yet.
One more thing, which turbo boost gauge do you have? Was it easy to install?
I found the DSBC about $225.

Nice wheels on Mean Green.

Old 13 Mar 2005, 04:29 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Stoj

Mean Green, which WGA did you use?(specifically what model) I tried searching for one made to fit the GT but no luck yet.
One more thing, which turbo boost gauge do you have? Was it easy to install?
I found the DSBC about $225.

Nice wheels on Mean Green.

It is an AGP Billet WGA that I got from tthrift on this forum. Right now he is the only one you can get it from.....I have the Auto Meter Ultra Lite Phantom vac/boost gauge http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...splay/ss-10109
The boost gauge itself was pretty easy. Depends where you are going to mount it.....Thanks for the nice comment on the wheels. I got them for free when the tire store messed up the factory ones.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic