Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
$5 BUCK BOOST CONTROLLER!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Mar 2005, 09:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default $5 BUCK BOOST CONTROLLER!

IF YOU WANT TO RAISE THE BOOST ON YOUR CAR FOR CHEAP, GET A BRASS BARBED "T" TAP THE PERPENDICULAR END AND PUT A SCREW IN IT. DRILL A HOLE THROUGH THE CENTER OF THE SCREW START AT AROUND .020 SIZE. PUT THE T IN LINE WITH THE WASTEGATE HOSE. THE HOLE IN THE SCREW WILL LEAK AIR, CHEATING THE WASTEGATE TO GENERATE HIGHER BOOST. IF YOU WANT MORE BOOST WORK YOUR WAY UP ON THE HOLE SIZE. I WOULD RECOMMEND USING A BOOST GAUGE. WHAT I USED TO DO IS HAVE SEVERAL SCREWS WITH DIFFERENT SIZE HOLES IN THEM AND SWAP EM FOR MORE POWER.

IM NOT SAYING THIS IS BETTER THAN A BOOST CONTROLLER BUT FOR AROUND FIVE DOLLARS YOU CAN UP YOUR BOOST REALLY EASY.
Old 16 Mar 2005, 10:24 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

and end up blowing you head gasket...
Old 16 Mar 2005, 11:10 pm
Cool Cruiser

Yeah. And if you disconnect the wastegate, it'll REALLY build boost. And if you only put 2 quarts of oil in, you pick up a bunch of HP from less pumping. And if you get a big tank of oxygen from the hospital and connect the hose to the air cleaner, it'll add power. And if you can get hold of 4 of those 200MPG carbs and build an individual runner intake, It'll get 800 MPG! Just don't try these on PTs, please. [XX(]

2004 Dark Plum Base with windows tinted, cabin filter, silencers removed, fog lights, 18\'s, all Red taillights, Blaine\'s struts, modesty cover, color-matched center dash, 06 rear bumper
Old 17 Mar 2005, 01:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

How are you gonna blow a head gasket raising your boost 1-2 psi? Well i guess your saying, "Don't use a boost controller on your pt. you'll blow a head gasket". So you guys better not tweak your car cause your gonna shoot a rod through the hood. Just saying, if somone wants to up their boost a couple psi they can do it themself for a couple bucks. What do you think a manual boost controller does?

I guess putting a smaller pulley on a supercharger will blow a head gasket also.

boost is boost, which ever way you raise it.[8)]
Old 17 Mar 2005, 02:37 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to RallyDRock

true but the orefice deal is a little weird, i dont hav a drill bit that small. an aquarium valve will work the same and is adjustable.
i wouldnt trust my motor to a cheap setup.
hanging springs on the wastegate is another cheese mod that i wouldnt risk doing.

pt turbos are finicky, if you go overboost you will cause a retarded ignition reducing power. you'd need a map clamp for starters.
stage 1 is the best idea to start with then move up from there.

Old 17 Mar 2005, 09:35 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

So lets see your logic...You pay 18 to 26 thousand for a new turbo pt...and you are going to trust a buck or two brass valve to control your boost???????
Old 17 Mar 2005, 10:13 pm
Young Cruiser

Let's focus guys.....
Old 18 Mar 2005, 01:57 am
Cool Cruiser

marks-gt,
use a needle valve if you're going to do it, otherwise you'll be popping the check light (overboost code) all the time All this talk of blowing your motor, won't happen, the stock PCM is so sensitive it will cut your fuel and timing before you do any damage I've played with my 05' (no S1 yet) a lot (to the point the PCM stalled me out) and found a bleed off increasing boost just a slight bit, 1 or 2 psi, is fine and the PCM can deal with it, but your front tires won't last long yes, an electronic boost controller, stage 1, and upgraded WGA do make for a much, much, much better setup, but untill you want to spend the $$, just watch for the check light and keep your ears open for the PCM cutting back timing, you'll hear and feel it when it happens and then you know you're overdoing it. boost on...
Please see Forum Guidelines regarding signature image sizing.
Old 18 Mar 2005, 11:48 am
Fanatic Cruiser

And save some extra money and have a good repair shop in mind to take it to when the engine goes...
Old 18 Mar 2005, 10:51 pm
Regular Cruiser

stage 1 is 15-16lbs of boost if you go over 18 19lbs your blow off valve will open and ave a lost of pressure if you change your bow off valve for an aftermarquet you can go over 18 19lbs and overboost code will apear at 22lbs many srt4 run at 19 lbs with a manul boost controler and no problem BUT YOU NEED STAGE 1 TO DO THAT 2.4 turbo are very reliable engine next week i will install my mbc but just add 3 lbs and im shure i will dont blow a head gasket[8)]