Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Will this work on a GT??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Apr 2003, 03:18 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Will this work on a GT??

A/F Ratio meter...heard good things over at the SRT forums.
http://www.dawesdevices.com/sd.html
Any Thoughts?

Rob

Click to see my GT!!
Old 24 Apr 2003, 01:00 am
Fanatic Cruiser

rob i think someone already tried an install and found out that we need some sort of adapter kit. I can't remember why though...but you're right airfuel and boost gauge and turbo temp are the best gauges for a turbo car...

RIP-'01 PT Bruiser- to many mods to list
*NEW*-'03 GT Cruiser- Custom CAI setup...
Old 24 Apr 2003, 08:12 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Rob,

Check with Exhaust Depot to see if this one will work on the PT GT. I think it has been used on the SRT.

Despite it's unrefined look, it has been getting good ratings on the SRT Forum...

From my understanding, it was built to take advantage of the non-standard output of the Chrysler wide-band 02 sensor.

Don't put much faith in my understanding of the compatibility. Try to find out if it works properly in the SRT and go from there.

2003 Onyx Green PT-GT
K&N Drop-In Air Filter-Boost/Vacuum Gauge-Kenwood Sirius Satellite Radio System-Weather Tech Window Visors-3rd Brake Light Deflector(s)-Garmin Street Pilot III Color GPS-Added 2nd horn deleted by Chrysler

Old 24 Apr 2003, 09:15 am
Cool Cruiser

Exhaust Depot...calling Exhaust Depot!!!
Thanks!

Rob

Click to see my GT!!
Old 24 Apr 2003, 09:22 am
Cool Cruiser

Or Anyone that knows about GT O2 sensor voltage!!
--Our meters now come standard with the Brightest Display Available (by far)
Purpose: To allow for the safe increase of boost on your turbocharged Dodge vehicle, you should monitor the air/fuel mixture. This meter allows you to read relative changes in your mixture to avoid damaging your engine. Our meters are preferred by serious racers, due to their accuracy and intense display which is easily read in bright sunlight.
Applications: Our "Turbo Dodge" model is specific for Chrysler 2.2/2.5L turbo engines. A standard model is also available for those who prefer to run a "extra rich" mixture (useful over 20psi). Approximate size for all units is 2.5" by 1.5"(display face) by .5".
Price: $55 (+ shipping). A deal when you consider that you have to buy a gauge pod (or cut holes) with our competitor's models. Complete instructions are included.
Why should you buy it from us: Our standard meter is designed specifically for Chrysler TI through TIV engines and is set up around the "generally recognized as safe" .87 volts O2 sensor reading. By doing this, the gauge can be read at a glance, by color. Each meter is individually tuned using internal potentiometers and a calibrated DVM (compared to the mass produced meters which use resistors--and are not individually calibrated). Also, we use a different method of packaging than the popular models. This allows the meter to be surface mounted anywhere you wish. In other words, you don't need to cut holes or buy a gauge pod. Additionally, it may be pointed at the windshield for a "heads up display" that allows the readout to be read as a reflection in the windshield. Additionally, our meters are recognized as the brightest on the market and can be read correctly in full sunlight.

Rob

Click to see my GT!!
Old 24 Apr 2003, 09:32 am
Cool Cruiser

DUH...This is what I shouldve posted!!
--Our gage shows everything below .87 volts as too lean, by illuminating a red light. So, at a glance, you know "red is bad, lift throttle". From .87 to .90, a yellow light is illuminated, indicating that you are "in the zone". You will want to think twice about increasing boost without adding fuel. From .90 to .93, the green light is illuminated, indicating that you are getting enough fuel and are a little on the rich side. Some people prefer to stay there and enjoy an extra margin of safety, but if you want to start increasing boost, the fuel is there. From .93 up, the blue light illuminates, indicating that you are very rich, and may want to consider lowering fuel delivery or raising boost for more power. So you see, the resolution is actually improved over the range where you need it (.03 volts per light vs .1volts per light), while eliminating the distracting flashing lights that you don't use.

Rob

Click to see my GT!!
Old 24 Apr 2003, 04:54 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

OK, here is some info from a service manual on the O2 sensor(s). I don't know if it will be any help. I have a email into Dawson Devices asking about compatibility with the GT. Note emphasis I have added on topic headings and pieces of info to consider. I still don't have an answer or enough understanding to offer an answer. FYI only.

O2 SENSOR
DESCRIPTION
The upstream oxygen sensor threads into the outlet flange of the exhaust manifold.

The downstream heated oxygen sensor threads into the system depending on emission package. Federal package the O2s is mounted after the catalytic convertor.

OPERATION
For SBEC vehicles a single sensor ground is used for all 4 O2 sensors (6 Cyl.). A seperate upstream and downstream grounds are used on the NGC vehicles (4 Cyl.).

As vehicles accumulate mileage, the catalytic convertor deteriorates. The deterioration results in a less efficient catalyst.

To monitor catalytic convertor deterioration, the fuel injection system uses two heated oxygen sensors. One sensor upstream of the catalytic convertor, one downstream of the convertor.

The PCM compares the reading from the sensors to calculate the catalytic convertor oxygen storage capacity and converter efficiency.

Also, the PCM uses the upstream heated oxygen sensor input when adjusting injector pulse width.

When the catalytic converter efficiency drops below emission standards, the PCM stores a diagnostic trouble code and illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL).

The O2 sensors produce voltages from 0 to 1 volt (this voltage is offset by a constant 2.5 volts on NGC vehicles), depending upon the oxygen content of the exhaust gas.

When a large amount of oxygen is present (caused by a lean air/fuel mixture, can be caused by misfire and exhaust leaks), the sensors produces a low voltage.

When there is a lesser amount of oxygen present (caused by a rich air/fuel mixture, can be caused by internal engine problems)it produces a higher voltage. By monitoring the oxygen content and converting it to electrical voltage, the sensors act as a rich-lean switch.

The oxygen sensors are equipped with a heating element that keeps the sensors at proper operating temperature during all operating modes.

Maintaining correct sensor temperature at all times allows the
system to enter into closed loop operation sooner.

Also, it allows the system to remain in closed loop operation during periods of extended idle.

In Closed Loop operation the PCM monitors the O2 sensors input (along with other inputs) and adjusts the injector pulse width accordingly.

During Open Loop operation the PCM ignores the O2 sensor input. The PCM adjusts injector pulse width based on pre-programmed (fixed) values and inputs from other sensors.

1.6L Siemens controller and SBEC controller - The Automatic Shutdown (ASD) relay supplies battery voltage to both the upstream and downstream heated oxygen sensors.

The oxygen sensors are equipped with a heating element. The heating elements reduce the time required for the sensors to reach operating temperature. The PCM uses pulse width modulation to control the ground side of the heater to regulate the temperature on 4 cyl. upstream O2 heater only.

NGC Controller - Has a common ground for the heater in the O2S. 12 volts is supplied to the heater in the O2S by the NGC controller. Both the upstream and downstream O2 sensors for NGC are pulse width
modulation (PWM)

UPSTREAM OXYGEN SENSOR
The input from the upstream heated oxygen sensor tells the PCM the oxygen content of the exhaust gas. Based on this input, the PCM fine tunes the air-fuel ratio by adjusting injector pulse width.

The sensor input switches from 0 to 1 volt, depending upon the oxygen content of the exhaust gas in the exhaust manifold (this is offset by 2.5 voltage on NGC vehicles).

When a large amount of oxygen is present (caused by a lean air-fuel mixture), the sensor produces voltage as
Old 25 Apr 2003, 10:54 am
Cool Cruiser

Dalite - Thanks for your help!!
"(this voltage is offset by a constant 2.5 volts on NGC vehicles)"
Im no expert, but I think this will pose a problem...
Lets see what dawes says.
Probably will end up getting an Autometer...$$$$$....maybe next month!

Rob

Click to see my GT!!
Old 25 Apr 2003, 09:46 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Rob,

Here is a thread on the O2 sensor that hashes it out fairly well.

http://www.ptenthusiasts.org/PTForum...threadid=22247

Short answer: The autometer O2 sensor looks like the way to go.

2003 Onyx Green PT-GT
K&N Drop-In Air Filter-Boost/Vacuum Gauge-Kenwood Sirius Satellite Radio System-Weather Tech Window Visors-3rd Brake Light Deflector(s)-Garmin Street Pilot III Color GPS-Added 2nd horn deleted by Chrysler

Old 26 Apr 2003, 08:51 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I've finally acquired all parts to make my A/F meter work and will be getting it and a mechanical water temp gauge installed on May 5. I'll let you all know how it goes. This will give me 6 operational gauges all autometer. Boost,oil pressure,water temp in a pillar pod and a/f,fuel pressure,and volt meter under radio. I'm following autometer's recommendation by installing another o2 sensor in order to get A/F operational.
\'03 Electric Blue 5 speed GT, addco oversize sways,wildfire strut bar,color-matched rear muds,xenon sides/\"crusher\",mirrors,b&c pillars,both interior consoles,b&m sport shifter,autometer ultralite gauges,Mopar STG 1 ,booger shift bushings,mopar bov,AMX turbo up pipe,Prototype turbo ucp, 05 intake, map clamp