PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Exhaust....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 May 2005, 06:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to hangtym3
Default Exhaust....

Hello, I am wondering about the different sizes of exhaust, I was planning to get the BTG Duals Cat/Back http://www.pttuning.com/performanceP...BTG-Duals.html but they are only 2 1/4"....I heard that if you will need a bigger size of exhaust to reach higher hp...if thats so...1)how much hp can these 2 1/4" let out? 2)If you have any better exhaust feel free to put in ur 2 cents
Old 07 May 2005, 07:48 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Mopar "recommends" a 2 1/2" exhaust with the Stage 1 kit and was saying it was required with the ill fated Stage 2 kit that will never see the light of day for the PT. So the 2 1/4" is good for something like 250 hp. From 250-300 a 2 1/2" is needed. Above 300 you should probably be looking at 3".

2003 Almond GT AutoStick, body colored rear splash guards and hood struts, chrome gear shift, AC & vent knobs, billet steering wheel spokes and pedals, AMX1397 Turbo-Intake Pipe.
Old 07 May 2005, 11:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to hangtym3

Ok...how about these... http://www.haynesspeedshop.com/Store...&cat=37&page=1
Old 10 May 2005, 01:19 am
Young Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to TurboCruiser13

Save yourself about 200 bucks off that mopar one and go take it to a muffler shop. I got mine done for 210 includes 2.5" all the way back, magnaflow SS resonator then splits over the axle and goes to 2.25" to the back. About the same loudness as the BTG just a slightly different sound.
Old 10 May 2005, 02:59 am
Senior Cruiser

Pays your money picks your poison. the MOPAR/Borlas are quieter and fit like a glove the customs can be real expensive or real cheap depending on installer and products used. Most are a lot louder than MOPAR and dont make more power. Some like the extra noise! Some wipe out the spare tire carrier some dont. Some make a droning noise at certain speeds the MOPAR dont. If you dont add engine mods the MOPAR and others are just for looks and sounds.
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 10 May 2005, 03:21 am
Veteran Cruiser

If you get a custom job make sure they do mandrel bends and not crimped ones. Most exhaust shops do not do mandrel bends, only some do. Crimped bends impede exhaust flow, mandrel bends do not.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 10 May 2005, 08:46 am
Obsessed Cruiser

My $.02.
If you want 2.5, better go for a bigger cat or you're choked by that anyway.
The BTGs, while "only" 2.25, are true flow-thru - you can see clear thru each piece. There are 3 sections that are larger with internal perforations (resonators) - but inside diameter stays 2.25 - can't flow much better than that.
IMHO they are a better design than the Borla, (or Bassani, which I had on my '02) which dumps into a muffler and sends a pipe "back" to passenger side. The BTG has a "Y" pipe splitter - some others come close, but have more of a "T".
The downside is that the BTG is pretty loud - but it's a Ballsy loud, deep, not Ricer. Look carefully at the layout of the different exhausts - the BTG makes the most sense to me.
(Cheapest I found was PTWarehouse - it doesn't say it's BTG, but it is).
THE PRECEEDING IS MY OPINION. Exhaust loyalty is nearly like tire loyalties...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 11 May 2005, 06:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Go to a muffler shop. I paid 325 for mine. 3" all the way back with a flowmaster. He used manderal pieces around the axle. Also, single 3 inch flows more than a dual 2inch. Sounds weird but its true. You can save money going to a muffler shop instead. Now I need to go back to the muffler shop to modify mine. I put eibachs on last week to lover the car. Now when I go over little bumps my exaust hit panhard bar on the axle. So if you go custom lower it first then do exaust.
Old 12 May 2005, 06:18 pm
Senior Cruiser

another alternative is the TruBendz systems

http://www.trubendz.com/home.asp?pro...e=productIndex

or the HeartThrob systems at www.JCWhitney.com
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer
Old 15 May 2005, 03:57 pm
Cool Cruiser

I have had the BTG catback for a little over a year now and love them. A little expensive at first but, stainless steel, will probably out live me.