Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
$5k to spend... but with restrictions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 May 2005, 11:33 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default $5k to spend... but with restrictions

Due to another project coming to a close (home theator) I have some extra cash I am just itchin to spend.

Number 1 restriction: I have the base warranty. I like my base warranty. I want to keep my base warranty.

Number 2 restriction: I want all modifications to be stealth mods. No changes to the exterior (how can you mess with perfection), and if at all possible no change to the exhaust/rumble. *no coffee cans!*

As mentioned in my post in general turbo discussions, I have an '03 GT, stock, auto, 27k miles on it. I ran it like a grandma for those 27k, I now want to abuse it!

The money includes all labor (apart from really simple stuff with easy to read directions all jobs will be done by a professional). So, what to buy!?
Old 09 May 2005, 11:46 am
Senior Cruiser

Well, while your waiting you might as well get a six pack!
Old 09 May 2005, 11:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I go for a beefed up auto tranny - contact Tom Thrift www.haynesspeedshop.com

http://12.freebb.com/viewtopic.php?t...reebb=ptfreaks

It comes with its own warranty.
the Chrysler autos aren't noted for reliability...
It'll blow about half your wad.[?]

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 10 May 2005, 12:02 am
Cool Cruiser

Hmmm. start with:
stage 1 kit
then add rear sway bar & end links kit
VAk pipe kit
02 pipe
3" downpipe
Mopar/Borla dual exhaust or single if you don't want the second cutout

adding a PSi-Fi powerpaq would probably void the warranty unless you can hide it or remove it before service.

If you really have 5K to spend, think about boring out the TB, Porting the intake manifold, having the heads reworked
then add a bigger turbo.

You can probably get all this & still have some $$$ left over. I probably forgot some stuff but I'm sure some one else will chime in... [8)]
Old 10 May 2005, 01:39 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by emr131

Due to another project coming to a close (home theator) I have some extra cash I am just itchin to spend.

Number 1 restriction: I have the base warranty. I like my base warranty. I want to keep my base warranty.
If you really like your warranty, then power mods are out of the question. Many dealerships won't touch a warranty issue if you have any kind of power mods to your car. The thing is, you're almost out of warranty as is, why bother holding yourself back! You've got 27K after 2 years, 14K a year, you'll be out of warranty by Xmas. Go give yourself an early Xmas present and get the tranny, S1, PPQ, UCP, and highly resonated(muffled) free flow exhaust. It'll put big smiles on the face!
Please see Forum Guidelines regarding signature image sizing.
Old 12 May 2005, 09:17 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
quote:If you really have 5K to spend, think about boring out the TB, Porting the intake manifold, having the heads reworked
then add a bigger turbo.
What does this do to the life expectancy of the car? Is it 'safer' to do this versus the list of upgrades you mentioned before? Which would give me more performance? I guess you can do the boring and then still mess with the exhaust for ultimately more power.
Old 12 Jul 2005, 11:33 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to 03baggedturbo

5 g's will go fast..
you are going to be around 300HP and you have an auto tranny so you will want to upgrade.. like someone else said.. Tommy is the guy that does that..

Get stage one.. this will take out things and give you things that you realy cant do other wise..

My new VAK system.. the more HP you are pushing the more the stock rubber hose expands..ect.. plus my new system changes all of the 90 degree bends into 45 aprox degree bends.. wich helps the turbo work less to achive the same boost...

wastegate.. stock one has been known to leak under high boost (Tommy sells bullet ones.. )

upgraded axles

definatly some slicks or at least some BF good rich or Nitto drag radials

down pipe

exhaust (I like the mopar dual)

NOS, I can weld a nipple on the uppercharge pipe.. then if something breaks just put the stock uppercharge pipe back on and you are good to go..

Water injection I have also welded nippls on the uppercharge pipe for this

BOV The stock surge valve has been known to leak also.. cap the stock surge valve and go with an aftermarket BOV

That is over 5 grand .. pick and choose or wait for something to break then replace it..

some left over money for the track and or speeding tickets..

Non of those things would break your warrenty (well if you left the NOS on it would).. the rest of them are upgrades to the stock stuff.. without getting into a huge warrenty talk..

Thanks.. Adam
www.prototypepower.com
Old 13 Jul 2005, 12:11 pm
Senior Cruiser

Don't forget the NGK Iridium plugs and Grounding system and MOPAR performance plug wires which will really smooth out the engine and make it silky feeling!! Also such mods will keep a tune longer for more fun!! Also when needed upgrade brakes cause more speed means more brakes are needed. Ceramics, Lines, rotors, and a refill of the brake fluid is mandatory.
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 13 Jul 2005, 03:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Sigh, can anyone recommend a good company that can do this work in the Philly/Allentown/Reading PA area? I don't even know what I am looking at or what is being said or what these things do[xx(]. I just want to spend money to make my car faster

This project needs to occur somewhat quickly as I am planning to buy a house and the mortgage will put a slight restriction on my cash flow (okay, not slight but not too restrictive either).
Old 14 Jul 2005, 08:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have done a lot of upgrades to my pt and would be happy to discuss the upgrades with you. Send me a PM and I will contact you.

As for a speed shop that can do all the work for you, check out Psi-Fi http://psifimotorsports.com/ They are located about 30 minutes from Philly.