Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Uncommon Turbo whine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 May 2005, 08:47 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Uncommon Turbo whine

Latley I have noticed when I hit between 4500 and 5500 rpms I can hear the turbo make a unusual spulling type of sound. (rapid ticking might be more like it) It only happens when I push the rpms.It might be normal becuase I rarely push it. However rather than take a chance I wanted post it here before bringing it to the dealer. I get more info on the forum than anywhere else anyway. as we know the dealer is always LAST resort!!!! THANKS! GARY
Old 25 May 2005, 08:21 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

I listened again and it sounds like something is loose when it revs high. I hope someone chimes in here to help me out. Gary
www.ptcruiserlinks.com/garys-cleaning-tips
Old 26 May 2005, 07:54 am
Cool Cruiser

Rapid ticking could be valve adjustment. A grating sound could be your turbo cartridge is failing and the blades are striking the shell...if that is the case it would be a perfect time to upgrade to a larger turbo.

Actually it would be very hard to diagnois your problem without hearing the sound.

Deen
GT, 5-Spd, K&N filter, Stage I, AGP 3147 Big Turbo, DTEC Fuel Kit, Tial WGA, Greddy Profec EBC, DCR 55mm TB, 05 Plastic Manifold, 180 Deg. Stat, CCA FMIC, AMX hard-pipes, Water-Injection, STS shifter, Needswings 3\" DP w/dump and Borla Cat-back, BG Drop Springs, Eibach Sway Bars, Panther alloys & Eagle F1 Max-Performance Tires. Best run to date...12.93 @113.45MPH.
77 Blown Vette-runs 10\'s @ 136 MPH.
Old 27 May 2005, 11:09 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Went to the dealer to get their opinion, they said it sounds like a bracket or clamp somewhere came loose. I guess I will dive in and tighten everything I can get my hands on. hmmmmm, on second thought my hot rod shop that did my ceramic coating might not of tightened something, ???? I think I'll try that . Gary
www.ptcruiserlinks.com/garys-cleaning-tips