Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
cold air intake?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Jun 2005, 10:56 pm
Young Cruiser

Default cold air intake?

I have tried reading the old post to understand the air intake mods. I would like once more to rehash what most of you probably already understand and have done. Here is the question! If money is not my first concern and I do not want to change intakes a couple of different times and I continue to do performance mods. What is the best intake solution for my 2005 turbo pt. and who should I buy it from? I believe it is the cold air intake that most have been referring to. But it seems like there are different options and different prices: airraid, K&N, so on. What is the best performance wise? Thanks again to all of you who know so much more than I.
Old 02 Jun 2005, 12:07 am
Young Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to TurboCruiser13

I'd definitely go with a VAK system from adam over at prototypepower. He's dyno'd several different intakes and the results were within 3-5 horsepower. This is also including the stock airbox w/silencers removed and K&N drop in. The real power is in the uppercharge pipe because the factory one swells under boost and isn't very reliable. The nice part about adam's vak kit is you can have both the intake and uppercharge pipe all matching in almost whatever color you want. I do the custom airbrush work for his company, so if someone wants flames or a chameleon colored intake or somethin I can do that. You can check out his site at www.prototypepower.com for pricing and availability.
Old 02 Jun 2005, 08:18 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I got the K&N FIPK, which I got a great deal on from a forum - can't compare it, but I wan to put out you'' hear things you don't hear now - the engine "breathing" - I call it the beast underhood.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 02 Jun 2005, 08:10 pm
Young Cruiser

Yes, realize you are going to hear things you
didn't hear before.

i like the K&N FIPK series II unit,
gives the turbo 12 more HP, make sure
you get the new series II.and you order the turbo unit
best price i found was 270.00.

you can still do an upcharge pipe in the future.

the FIPK, a better exhaust, and a stage-1,
are going to be $1000.00 plus or minus.
but all combined you get almost 40 more HP....
thats a 20% increase for 1000 bucks.

Old 03 Jun 2005, 12:13 am
Veteran Cruiser

"gives the turbo 12 more HP,"

You must be reading K&N literature. The pcm has parameters for how much air it takes in. It will only read so much. The K&N and other cone intakes suck hot engine air. For less than $100 my modified airbox with a custom turbo up pipe, no silencers, K&N drop in filter and 2" ram air sucks all cold air and breathes just as well, with the exception of no hot engine air. The K&N intake does look nice, though. As for the extra almost 40 hp with the FIPK, exhaust and stage 1 it is a bit of a stretch. A flow through exhaust will help the turbo spool up a bit faster but but don't believe the hp claims from manufacturers. If you really want to get some serious extra hp then get a VAK ucp, AGP wastegate, and dual stage boost controller to go along with stage 1, better breathing and and a 2 1/2" catback flow through exhaust. Along with other mods my GT is scary.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 03 Jun 2005, 12:50 am
Senior Cruiser

Mean Green lets just say we disagree on the K&N intake. I do agree on a couple of things you said. The setup you have is very strong and is the way to go if performance is on your mind. I think you sensibly sized your pipes and have pretty much the ultimate for stage 2 and a half. With what you got I think you should have, and maybe you do, a boost gauage and an exhaust gas temperature guage and maybe a fuel presure gauge.
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 03 Jun 2005, 03:42 am
Veteran Cruiser

SteelBlueGT, I do have boost and egt gauges. I used to have an expensive intake on my GT. I feel the best thing about my modified airbox setup is I get the same airflow as an intake minus the hot engine air and I got it for around $170 cheaper. I do figure I am at stage 2+. I'll know more when I dyno this month. I have to warn my wife when I hit the 2nd stage of the bc so she can sit back so as not to get her head snapped backwards I still think K&N overestimated their hp gains from just an intake. I don't know if you were around when we had 3BarBoost (Chrysler engineer who helped design the PT) on these forums and he said an intake would make no difference because the pcm would recognize only so much airflow. I think on a vehicle without a pcm (old school) more and better airflow would make a better difference. When we were younger we all removed the aircleaner for a time from the carbuerator and got better performance. But, I respect your disagreement. [?]

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 03 Jun 2005, 11:47 am
Cool Cruiser

Boy, Mean Green, you made me feel old. I remember cutting of the snorkel on the air cleaners to let in more air "in the old days." I cut my teeth on hopping up a 1953 Chevy 265 cu in straight six. Dad split the cast iron exhaust manifold and made a dual exhaust set up and we dumped the oil bath air cleaner. Damn, I really am old.

Mike
Old 03 Jun 2005, 11:57 am
Young Cruiser

i think the K&N fipk is a quality unit,
as for the 12 HP, yes that comes from a
dyno run that they supply with the unit.

it shows a gt-turbo on a second gear
dyno pull, get 12 HP from 4k and above.

the runs are done about 1 hour apart,
the time it took to switch to the fipk.

my exhaust says it's good for 6 HP,
also from a dyno pull.

the stage-1 is suppost to be good
for somthing like 20 HP

total=38 HP

this info is for someone who is not
a home mechanic, and needs to buy prepackaged
stuff that they pay someone else to put on.

i'm sure the do it your self group can out do
most of this stuff, it's just information...

Old 03 Jun 2005, 09:17 pm
Senior Cruiser

Mr.2U, Yes your math is correct but sometimes performance parts dont add up on the dyno. You may have three mods that make 40 hp but the dyno may only yield 20 or 30.

Mean Green, yes I remember 3BarBoost and when he exited stage right. I did see the dyno sheets live. I was one of the guys that got a free intake from K&N for letting them use my Cruiser for prototypes.

I still feel that for our cars cold air seems highly overrated!!
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.