PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Will "simple mods" really increase GT horsepower?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Apr 2003, 12:06 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Will "simple mods" really increase GT horsepower?

At this point I'm not planning to do anything more than my performance exhaust system. My turbo car is performing flawlessly and I don't want to chance messing anything up. You know what they say--"If it's not broken, don't fix it."

However, I have read that in addition to a performance exhaust, some are doing a few other "simple" performance mods such as taking out the air silencers, removing part or all of the under-hood insulation, and "replacing[:I] the cold-air intake" and/or putting in a K & N filter. What do you think? Do I need a shop manual? Would I gain at least 5HP making these "simple" mods? Would these void my warranty? Appreciate any thoughts or recommendations. Thanks.[8)]
Old 28 Apr 2003, 12:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I've removed the two "silencers" in the air cleaner housing and installed a K&N. I had previously installed a custom dual-exhaust system. No hard data--haven't dyno'ed the car--but I could tell a difference in responsiveness. The engine definitely breathes easier.
[8)]

I asked the dealership about the warranty issue before proceeding. He talked with the service manager and was told that the mods would NOT void the warranty. HOWEVER, should any problems arise in the future, and those problems be traced to modifications made, then you would have problems. It would be hard, I suspect, to place the blame for engine problems to improving air flow, but it might mean some legal hassles at some point. For me it comes down to the relationship you have with your dealership--if it is a mutually supportive one, then I would say go ahead with removing the silencers and replacing the air filter w/a K&N. I think you will be pleased.
Light almond GT w/5 spd, aluminum gas cover, 400-watt amp w/Kenwood 3-ways in rear, EJECT power button, custom dual exhaust, hidden trailer hitch, mini-flames by Streamline, mini-flames around windshield washer, \"amx\" turbo-up custom intake, Stage 1, BTG strut tower brace, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Custom 17x7 wheels.
Old 28 Apr 2003, 03:07 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Thanks for the info, rockycruiser, and, welcome to the forum.[8)]
Old 28 Apr 2003, 04:40 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Exhaust Depot

The great things about turbo cars is that they tend to respond alot better to simple mods as compared to an NA engine.

E.D. 3\" Turbo Back, , HKS SSBOV, GReddy-e01 Boost controller, Greddy E-manage fuel management, Blitz Turbo Timer, JE pistons, Ported Head, E.D. Large Frontmount Intercooler, E.D. Tubular manifold with t3/t4 (prototype), IPP coilovers, Limited Slip.
Old 28 Apr 2003, 06:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the welcome, Gary. This is definitely the best forum for GT owners--I'm learning a lot. Gives me the encouragement to make all those mods.[8D]
Light almond GT w/5 spd, aluminum gas cover, 400-watt amp w/Kenwood 3-ways in rear, EJECT power button, custom dual exhaust, hidden trailer hitch, mini-flames by Streamline, mini-flames around windshield washer, \"amx\" turbo-up custom intake, Stage 1, BTG strut tower brace, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Custom 17x7 wheels.
Old 28 Apr 2003, 07:18 pm
Young Cruiser

K&N filter have been dyno proven to add about 10 to 15 hp on various turbo cars, depending on engine size and the stock restrictiveness. I am sure you would see more than 5 hp from replacing the intake pipe. Hell, civics make more than that when replacing the intake, and they have little 1.6l na engines. The silencer should be worth about five horses also.

Mike
Old 28 Apr 2003, 08:24 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

dsm mike is right about seeing an increase in hp, but most of these number are seen on cars running either a twin setup or higher boost stock. It is also worth noting that better intake must be linked with better exhaust or else it won't be as beneficial. With a full turbo back exhasust including a down pipe, and full intake setup one would gain some acceptable numbers...
Old 29 Apr 2003, 07:12 pm
Young Cruiser

Yes, that is true. I didnt mention exhaust though since he said he already had one. However about the k&n, my talon ran 10 psi stock on a 2.0l engine. K&N added 8hp and 11 ft-lbs. On my car, full intake/exhaust is worth about 50hp. But like you said, opening up one side of the engine doesnt help as much if you dont open up the other.
Old 30 Apr 2003, 10:30 am
Cool Cruiser

yes, but is the stock exhaust that restrictive? I kinda like the sound...
Old 30 Apr 2003, 08:57 pm
Young Cruiser

Depends on what you are doing. If you are just going to drive the car, the exhaust is fine. However if you plan on modding the car, yes the exhaust is restrictive.Remember that this is a turbo car and turbos like big piping.