Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
GT Turbo INFO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Apr 2003, 01:45 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default GT Turbo INFO

What s up all? I m new to this forum. Just wanted to let you guys know that I will be experimenting with the GT. Right now I know a guy that makes intakes for the GT. He is reasonable too. This weekend I will be putting a boost controller on to add some pounds for the pavement. Has any1 heard of the computer making the car run in safe mode when back pressure is taken away???
Old 30 Apr 2003, 05:50 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Not me <I installed my bassani with out baffle day after I picked up my car . No "safe modes " here even when boost was 18 while getting controller dialed in !
\'03 Electric Blue 5 speed GT, addco oversize sways,wildfire strut bar,color-matched rear muds,xenon sides/\"crusher\",mirrors,b&c pillars,both interior consoles,b&m sport shifter,autometer ultralite gauges,Mopar STG 1 ,booger shift bushings,mopar bov,AMX turbo up pipe,Prototype turbo ucp, 05 intake, map clamp
Old 30 Apr 2003, 08:20 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I'm not aware of a "safe mode"...[:I]

I ran a Manual Boost Controller for a few days, after installing a boost gauge. I decided to remove the MBC, until I could do something with the exhaust and get a more free flowing intake (currently running K&N Drop in filter and stock exhaust).

I didn't reset the PCM after removing the MBC, and I have noticed my boost levels are sub-normal (according to the gauge). I am not sure if this is due to the PCM needing to be reset after removing the MBC, of if the fitting that goes to the wastegate solenoid was stretched too much when it was connected to the MBC and is now leaking pressure before it gets to the wastegate solenoid. I do know it was no longer a tight fit when I took it off the MBC input an put it back on on the solenoid..

Let us know what the cost of your friend's intake system, and post a picture of it if you can..
[8)]
Old 30 Apr 2003, 12:58 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Put a wire tie on the fitting and pull it tight. If the connection had any slop in it this will take care of it. Wire ties are inexpensive. Just keep in mind that the heat buildup there can cause some of the more inexpensive ties to stretch. Go to home depot and buy a small bag of ties, and look for fiberglass wire ties made to be used outdoors. These will be much more heat resistant.

[8)]
Old 30 Apr 2003, 09:02 pm
Young Cruiser

Im not sure what you mean by running in safe mode when backpressure is taken away. The pcm will pull timing if it detects the engine is knocking, running in "safe mode" with less power for a while, but I dont see how free flowing exhaust would cause the pcm to enter "safe mode". If you explain what you meant we might be able to help you better.
Old 01 May 2003, 12:15 am
Fresh Cruiser

My friend has a GT and he cut his muffler off. When he did this his car spit out some code and he said it wouldn t run over 80 mph. I don t know. That s just what I was told. Has anyone dynoed their car after messing with the exhaust?
Old 01 May 2003, 05:10 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I don't see anything that would indicate lessening back pressure would be noticed by the PCU. There are 2 wideband O2 sensors; one installed in the Cat (Downstream Sensor) and one installed before Cat; possibly on the downtube leading to the cat (header?). This is the upstream O2 sensor. Their function is to send the info for the PCM to set the injector pulse width according to measured oxygen levels measured before and in the cat.

Both of these sensors are far upstream from the muffler. The sensors are wideband, with heaters to stabilize them, so I don't think higher flow would effectively "out-run" the speed in which the O2 sensors can send info to the PCM.

I have little experience with turbos, so verify this with someone who is more knowledgeable on them before accepting it as fact. This is just a commentary on what the service manual shows in the exhaust system.
Old 01 May 2003, 03:48 pm
Senior Cruiser

To my knowledge there is nothing that measures back pressure and reports to the computer on that parameter. Just modifying the exhaust would not cause what you are describing or everyone that put a freeflowing exhaust on would be throwing codes all over the place.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 01 May 2003, 05:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well - I had a guy tell me last Friday at Tower Shoppes in Plantation, FL that he had put on a 3" single high flow "something or another" and his GT "fell flat on its face" after 85mph. Of course he aslo had a DIY air box repalcement. he did not mention "safe mode".

My personal (lack of) experience on other TC cars suggests this cannot or should not be.

Maybe the questions to be asked is what, if anything, putting a high flow exhaust and/or low-restiction "cool" intake would do to boost, fuel demand, etc. that the computer might sense?

I dunno.

Has anyone mapped the computer like the LS1 and 5.0/4.6l stang guys have?

PeTe
2003 DC2 #1515
Old 01 May 2003, 05:44 pm
Cool Cruiser

The SRT-4 comes stock WITHOUT a muffler...some of those guys have been working on 3" piping...
just my $.02..

Click to see my GT!