PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Hey: Is it the Shell Gas or the Pressure?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Jun 2005, 11:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Hey: Is it the Shell Gas or the Pressure?

Gotta 04 GT Cruiser

Been lurking for over a year, and I really respect the attitude in
here. So, I don't want to incite any flames.

But I improved the MPG in my GT with a LOWERING of the tire pressures
in the 205/50-17 to 34 psi. I also get at least 1-3 MPG on the Shell
gas from this one particular station (the other in my town does not
correlate).

Anything to this, or is it just my new medications?

Also, the brakes vibrate like a kid without his Ritalin. I've had the front rotors "resurfaced" two times, but still my foot (and sometimes the steering wheel) senses the constant vibrations
Old 16 Jun 2005, 12:51 am
Young Cruiser

can't imagine how softer tires could improve mpg.
i run 35psi in all my stuff, seems to be a good
compromise between mpg and ride softness..

what if the one shell station has it's pumps
out of calibration, and you only think you
are putting in less gas than you are.

Old 16 Jun 2005, 12:55 am
Senior Cruiser

I am running 42 psi fronts and 38 psi rears with my 215 50 17 Yoko Avid's and the ride is so smooth and nice I dont mind the high pressures. However I did not get better mpg with the taller tires. Got a slight gain in mpg when I had my computer reflashed as my check engine light would not go off and the dealer said there was a TSB that covered it.
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 16 Jun 2005, 02:14 am
Young Cruiser

My first thought was out of calibration as mentioned above.
But my old physics classes must have departed my memory-I can not imagine how under inflated tires could improve mpg. Just curious how that could be. Anyone?
Old 16 Jun 2005, 09:31 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Agree with other comments. You don't have your location, but is it hot and have you changed time of day when you get gas? If you get gas in very early morning, chances are it'll be denser than in late afternoon - yeah, I know tank's underground, but it will warm up. Lower tire pressure cannot help mileage.
As to your brakes - buy new rotors and stop going to wherever you're going - the rotors are too thin to be resurfaced multiple times - go to NAPA and get the more expensive rotors - they're better steel. Personally, I don't believe in resurfacing - warping occurs because the rotors don't get rid of the heat and warp - resurfacing takes metal away, so you're more likely to overheat,....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 16 Jun 2005, 11:22 am
Cool Cruiser

I really can't imagine anyone buying a GT Turbo and worrying about MPG. I keep the tire presssure at 38 psi. as it says in the door jam for our tires. And being low profile tires, having less air between you and the road doesn't sound like a good idea. Lower psi is never good for MPG. And now summer is upon us low pressure is a really bad idea. I don't know where you are but, summer is summer. I'd keep the pressure where it's supposed to be. Low tire pressure is one of the biggest causes of blowouts in summertime. Sorry to hear about your brakes though. Mine have 29,500 on them and no problems at all.
Old 17 Jun 2005, 05:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok, put the pressure back to door jamb levels. Recalculated old and new data. Looks like I may have made an error in the numbers. Getting same mpg for both pressures. So forget it, the lower pressures have no effect after all.

The brakes are still crappy though.

The gas from that one Shell station is better MPG than others (maybe the pump calibration is off, but by how far, really?).

And...........higher than recommended pressures, that isn't cause for possible blowout (e.g. keeping the tire edge in the rim flang)? Yea, it is.
Old 05 Aug 2005, 11:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Gut Check

Ok, put the pressure back to door jamb levels. Recalculated old and new data. Looks like I may have made an error in the numbers. Getting same mpg for both pressures. So forget it, the lower pressures have no effect after all.

The brakes are still crappy though.

The gas from that one Shell station is better MPG than others (maybe the pump calibration is off, but by how far, really?).

And...........higher than recommended pressures, that isn't cause for possible blowout (e.g. keeping the tire edge in the rim flang)? Yea, it is.
No.
Increasing air pressure by that small margin will NOT cause a blow-out. In fact, when we doi high speed track trials, we run overinflated to reduce hfootprint by as much as 3 to 4%, and therefore reduce heat.

Underinflation causes tremendous damage to tread, belts, footprint, you name it. Increased stress on all the unsprung gear, ball jounts, etc., etc.

Joe