PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Wheels/Suspension/Handling

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Turbo PT and Winter Driving

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Apr 2006, 03:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Turbo PT and Winter Driving

I own a stock 03 GT, auto, and this year as the first time I forced to drive it for the winter on a steady basis. Normally I have a 4x4 which handles that duty, but a change in marriage eliminated that option this year. So being my only mode of transportation I was concerned about traction and control on various road condtions.[:I]

Now I live in Northern BC, Canada, so the winters here can get pretty brutal. Plus my work requires me to travel all over Northern BC. This year I was forced to do a number of trips during the absolute worst in winter weather. The last trip I was forced to drive north 900 km during a blizzard, with the temperatures hitting -35 C, with the drive being on remote roads, it left me concerned.

Now I'm a northern boy, born and raised, familiar with proper driving and preparation. So in anticipation I purchased a set of four Ice radials and steel black rims, ugly but practical. I was originally concerned about the cash outlay, but looking back now it was worth every penny.

The PT never missed a beat, I was never in any situation that caused me any concern what so ever. The PT was always 100% reliable, steady and extremely road worthy. On all roads, whether ice, compact snow, fresh snow, I never experienced any slippage or loss of control. The PT was exceptional. An added benefit with the Turbo is the heating system is wonderful and at -35 C, having a warm and comfortable car is a necessity. It was also funny seeing the look on some peoples faces when I would drive up in the PT. I guess a lot of people, myself included, under estimate the drivability of the car.

The reason I purchased the PT was it was a stylish car, that offered comfort and practicality. With this last year of winter driving I can add dependable winter transportation as well.

Old 03 Apr 2006, 10:20 am
Young Cruiser

Proper tires make all the difference!

Brian
\'03 5-speed S2 Dream Cruiser #1582 w/MP Stage 1 & BOV. Plastic Intake Manifold, rear Eibach springs and Supertrapp axle-back exhaust.
Crane 8.5mm FireWires & Champion Copper Plus plugs, K&N drop in filter. Chrome Plastic AMX TTAB pipe.
(Metro Detroit Area)
Old 03 Apr 2006, 05:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

the car does handle well in the snow i dont have winters as brutal as you but i also have no trouble with the pt in winter weather !!
Old 04 Apr 2006, 09:07 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sca037

Proper tires make all the difference!
Brian
Yup. The Good-for-a-Years suck in rain & snow.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles