PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Wheels/Suspension/Handling

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
sway bars ... yet again

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 May 2003, 09:45 pm
Young Cruiser

Default sway bars ... yet again

As I am new to the forum here, please bear with me. A couple of quick questions regarding sway bars: The Turbo's only have one, the front, so what parts are needed to attach the sway to the rear? In addition, what's the size of the front sway bar included? Are 25MM (front) and 22MM (rear) considered "beefier" sways? Finally, what would ppl suggest to be a good set of aftermarket sways? Progressive? Eibach?

Old 19 May 2003, 10:19 pm
Administrator

Welcome. [|)] i don't know about the thicknesses or aftermarkets, but here's the stock part numbers I got from a dealership..

Old 20 May 2003, 12:40 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Buy the parts and put the bar on yourself (it is pretty simple and easy to access)......this is the best favor that you can do for your handling and safety under loaded conditions.

The rear "twist axle that is supposed to give - adequate - sway control only works when there is no load in the back. Load up the back end with weight and the rear gets squirley!
Old 20 May 2003, 10:09 pm
Senior Cruiser

oh, i don't no about the squirely(sp) part. I just had 15 bags of mulch in mine the other day and it rode ok. no sag. sat just about level. thought fer sure it would bottom out. the front bottoms out with no load. But i didn't have to go through no twisties either. Took the off ramp at the normal speed. I was suprised.[8]
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer
Old 22 May 2003, 06:31 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I drive between Las Vegas and LA frequently, believe me, I have tested the difference in loaded and unloaded on twisties and in the wind(90mph gusts). There is a HUGE difference in a loaded PT!
Old 24 May 2003, 10:42 pm
Young Cruiser

Thanks for the info on the DC rear sway - before I go in and order it, how much is it going to cost me (I'll do the install) and are there better/cheaper ones available in the aftermarket?
Thanks,
tezz[8)]
Old 27 May 2003, 05:57 pm
Young Cruiser

Okay - I bought the parts from the dealer today - friggin' $220 for the parts alone! (Glendale, CA) The yahoos in the service bay didn't even know the new cars didn't come with them! They sent out a tech to look at the belly of the new cars to see how long/how hard it would be to install one (and to make sure I wasn't talking out of my butt, I'm sure). He 'guesstimated' an hour to an hour and a half to install it. After paying this much for the parts, I'll do the job myself. [xx(]
Is there anything in particular I need to know for installation - other than to have the weight back on the wheels before I tighten'er up?
thanks, tezz
Black 03 PT/GT - Autostick,Stage 1, Mopar BOV, DC rear sway, K&N filter/white baffle out, Magnaflow cat back, Eibach springs, billet strut bar, AMX CAI,3bagged UCP, Euro tail lenses, Revell shifter, misc. do-dads
Old 27 May 2003, 06:10 pm
Administrator

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tezz

Okay - I bought the parts from the dealer today - friggin' $220 for the parts alone! (Glendale, CA)
The rear sway package is $166 + shipping, online at Wyckoff..
--> http://store.yahoo.com/wyckoff-chrys...tcroemres.html
Old 27 May 2003, 11:03 pm
Young Cruiser

DoH!......I wonder if they will jam me with a restocking fee.....thanks
Black 03 PT/GT - Autostick,Stage 1, Mopar BOV, DC rear sway, K&N filter/white baffle out, Magnaflow cat back, Eibach springs, billet strut bar, AMX CAI,3bagged UCP, Euro tail lenses, Revell shifter, misc. do-dads
Old 29 May 2003, 07:12 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Install should be a piece of cake, I had to remove my sway bar to install the eibachs.
SUGGESTION: Install the bar on the axle first, then install the frame end rubber mounts on the car. Then swing the bar up and bolt it on. The extra little intermediary arm on each side really makes this easier.