PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Wheels/Suspension/Handling

PT Cruiser Forum

problems with lower control arm bushings

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Sep 2006, 08:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default problems with lower control arm bushings

Has anyone out there had problems with their lower control arm bushings ripping? I had to have mine replaced 3 times in the past 2.5 years. finally the dealership replaced the lower control arms completely. Luckily I bought an extended warranty.
Val
Old 19 Sep 2006, 09:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

i had same problem but they changed everything first time back at dealership
Old 20 Sep 2006, 08:58 am
Young Cruiser

When my lower control arm bushings start to deteriorate, I will get a full urethane bushing kit and redo the entire front end with those.

Problem solved [?]
Brian
\'03 5-speed S2 Dream Cruiser #1582 w/MP Stage 1 & BOV. Plastic Intake Manifold, rear Eibach springs and Supertrapp axle-back exhaust.
Crane 8.5mm FireWires & Champion Copper Plus plugs, K&N drop in filter. Chrome Plastic AMX TTAB pipe.
(Metro Detroit Area)
Old 20 Sep 2006, 11:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Brian, where do you pick these kits up at?
Old 21 Sep 2006, 02:27 pm
Young Cruiser

Val, the kit I am going to use is made by Energy Suspension.
You can find the part number(s) on their website here:
http://www.energysuspension.com/pages/cry3.html
Then order it from the retailer of your choice [8D]

Cheers,
Brian
\'03 5-speed S2 Dream Cruiser #1582 w/MP Stage 1 & BOV. Plastic Intake Manifold, rear Eibach springs and Supertrapp axle-back exhaust.
Crane 8.5mm FireWires & Champion Copper Plus plugs, K&N drop in filter. Chrome Plastic AMX TTAB pipe.
(Metro Detroit Area)
Old 23 Sep 2006, 01:01 am
Young Cruiser

My dealer just replaced both of my PT's lower control arms last week, under warranty, at 38K miles. My only symptom was an intermittant clunk over potholes in the dirt road that we live on. I'd been after them about it since last winter and I guess the lube guy found the problem while changing the oil last month. When I picked up the car they told me what they found and that the parts were already on order. That's why I drive past the Chrysler dealer in our town to get to the Dodge Boys.
Almost to 40K now and O.E. tires and brakes are still good! I cheated on the tires last winter with a set of snows, but the brakes were still over 50% when the old tires went back on last spring. I still love this car!
Old 16 Nov 2006, 07:49 am
Cool Cruiser

I'd replace them with something better than just urethane bushings, the control arm bushing is a weak point in the PT suspension and everyone seems to have problems with there bushings tearing. If I were you I'd get these from rag-tek

http://www.rage-tek.com/product.php?...1&cat=0&page=1

I have had similar type made from Psi-Fi that have been going strong for over 50,000 miles. Smoothes things out during heavy acceleration, and better handling. The only thing I've found is that you need to be careful when pulling up on to a curb, since they get kind of creaky, but that's the tradeoff, need for caution for better performance.
03 Black PT GT: BTG Strut Tower Brace, BTG Rear Anti Sway Bar, Psi-Fi Control Arm Bushings, H&R Wheel Spacers, Mopar Stage 2 Coilovers, Yokohama AVS ES100, Stage 1, Uppper Charge Pipe, Mopar Plastc Manifold.
Mods On The Way: AGP Wastegate Actuator
Old 17 Nov 2006, 07:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

[^]Took my 03gt to the dealer for a oil change.70000Kms, They told me that the lower control arm bushing needed to be replaced.They replaced the complete lower control arms under warranty.I had to pay for a wheel alinment.
Old 18 Nov 2006, 02:23 am
Regular Cruiser

when is dc going to admit to a faulty and potentially dagerous product and recall them? This same defect is happening in the neons and mini vans.
Old 18 Nov 2006, 06:39 am
Cool Cruiser

I don't know if it is particularly dangerouse, since all it is, is a bushing, the bolt is really whats holding the control arm in place. When it's worn steering gets kind of squirly during heavy acceleration and rough roads. Most cars get squirly after a few years anyways, as long as the bolts hold then DC would have no reason to claim it as a defect, they would see it as normal wear and tear. Now if DC new about the problem and didn't phase out the part then they would be liable if someone were to get hurt, and I would think it would be in there best interest to at least do a re-design of the part for future models.
03 Black PT GT: BTG Strut Tower Brace, BTG Rear Anti Sway Bar, Psi-Fi Control Arm Bushings, H&R Wheel Spacers, Mopar Stage 2 Coilovers, Yokohama AVS ES100, Stage 1, Uppper Charge Pipe, Mopar Plastc Manifold.
Mods On The Way: AGP Wastegate Actuator