PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Wheels/Suspension/Handling

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PT / SRT-4 Rear Sway Bar Question

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Feb 2008, 12:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question PT / SRT-4 Rear Sway Bar Question

Hi All,
I just bought my wife a 2008 Cool Vanilla PT. Let the mods begin!
I figured posting with the GT/Turbo crowd might be best for this question: My buddy has an SRT-4 that we replaced the front & rear sways on about a year ago. Does anyone know if the OEM SRT-4 rear sway will work on the rear of the PT?

Second question: I want to drop the back of my wifes car just a small amount (3/4-1") and was thinking of cutting the appropriate amount off of the top of the factory rear springs. I am a tech so no big deal for me to do this. I realize the spring rate wont change much which is fine as I wont be touching the front end at all. Has any done this to an OEM rear spring?

If anyone has OEM GT rear springs or a rear sway bar, please let me know as I would be interested.

Thanks!
Old 29 Feb 2008, 05:26 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: PT / SRT-4 Rear Sway Bar Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxam View Post
Hi All,
I just bought my wife a 2008 Cool Vanilla PT. Let the mods begin!
I figured posting with the GT/Turbo crowd might be best for this question: My buddy has an SRT-4 that we replaced the front & rear sways on about a year ago. Does anyone know if the OEM SRT-4 rear sway will work on the rear of the PT?

Second question: I want to drop the back of my wifes car just a small amount (3/4-1") and was thinking of cutting the appropriate amount off of the top of the factory rear springs. I am a tech so no big deal for me to do this. I realize the spring rate wont change much which is fine as I wont be touching the front end at all. Has any done this to an OEM rear spring?

If anyone has OEM GT rear springs or a rear sway bar, please let me know as I would be interested.

Thanks!
The front SRT4 sway bar will interchange, but the rear is completely different, and due to the so called "built in" bar in the rear axle beam you should not put a bar on the rear unless you upgrade the factory front bar to a stronger bar at the same time with a matched set, as this can cause "over steer', the rear bars were deleted starting with (I believe)the '03 model year, and no PT came with a rear factory anti sway bar since then, that is when they changed the design of the rear axle beam and said that there was a bar "built into" the new design.

I know many, many, PT owners on the Performance forums, and know of no one that has "Cut" the coil springs, I worked as a Auto tech for over 30 years and have seen what cut, or heated springs do to the handling of a car, (not good),and not reversible, as cheap as 1" to 2" drop springs are it is not worth the problems it could cause, a nice inexpensive fix is the Mopar Stage 1 springs for around $235.00 will lower the car about 3/4" to 1" and not give a harsh ride. you could put the rears in pretty quick and keep going, but with all 4 the car will not only look better, but will handle better.
http://www.alcamar.com/trailer/
Old 29 Feb 2008, 05:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the reply. I know that that rear suspension is different, but do you know for a fact that the rear bar is a different shape, has different mounting points, etc?
Old 29 Feb 2008, 05:39 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Since the part numbers are the same for '01 thru '03+ I still don't believe they changed anything in the rear axle for a built in bar. I owned an '01 with the factory rear sway and a '03 GT and '04 PT and stock for stock the '01 handled much better with the rear sway than either the '03 or '04 without rear sway. I'd still go with a bigger front sway when adding a rear, though, as Dream4 stated.

With all of the choices for lowering springs I'd never go ghetto and cut springs. Leave that for the ricers as they bounce down the road with cut springs on their stickered Hondas.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 29 Feb 2008, 05:52 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I know that that rear suspension is different, but do you know for a fact that the rear bar is a different shape, has different mounting points, etc?
Yes, the Neon/SRT4 & PT Cruiser rear sway bars are completely different as far as shape and attachment points. it will not fit. As for the new Caliber SRT4, I can not say. I am sure MeanGreen can tell you, as he has had both SRT4 & PT cars.
http://www.alcamar.com/trailer/
Old 29 Feb 2008, 06:01 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream4 View Post
Yes, the Neon/SRT4 & PT Cruiser rear sway bars are completely different as far as shape and attachment points. it will not fit. As for the new Caliber SRT4, I can not say. I am sure MeanGreen can tell you, as he has had both SRT4 & PT cars.
Yes, the OEM SRT-4 rear sway bar is different than the PT. I've got both my OEM SRT-4 sway bars still in my garage and the rear will not fit my wife's '04 PT. The fronts are interchangeable as I'm running with the larger PT convertible front sway on my SRT-4. I have the Neon ACR rear sway on the back of my SRT-4. SRT-4 folks call this the Welfare sway bar upgrade and it works great.

Old 29 Feb 2008, 07:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Green View Post
Yes, the OEM SRT-4 rear sway bar is different than the PT. I've got both my OEM SRT-4 sway bars still in my garage and the rear will not fit my wife's '04 PT. The fronts are interchangeable as I'm running with the larger PT convertible front sway on my SRT-4. I have the Neon ACR rear sway on the back of my SRT-4. SRT-4 folks call this the Welfare sway bar upgrade and it works great.

Thanks! - that is the answer I was looking for. I am very familiar with the 'welfare' package. I have been from many muscle cars > Buick Grand National > SRT-4 > Z06 Vette > whatever's next.
Old 03 Mar 2008, 02:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

If anyone still has an OEM PT rear sway bar they are not using any more, I would be interesting in purchasing.

Thx
Old 03 Mar 2008, 03:18 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
If anyone still has an OEM PT rear sway bar they are not using any more, I would be interesting in purchasing.

Thx
Might be able to find one on an '01 or '02 in a junk yard.

Old 03 Mar 2008, 05:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Green View Post
Might be able to find one on an '01 or '02 in a junk yard.
Yeah, I may have to go that route. I used to love to scour the bone yards in the old days. But these days, they are not that close and it is tough to take a day, spend $20 in gas just to find out they a shell of a car or one with no sway bar. Usually when I try to call around for parts, they will tell you they have the vehicle, but then won't look to see if it has the specific parts you are looking for. I emailed a few salvage yards aweek ago in my area that show that they have a PT and none of them bothered to email me back. I am going to make a renewed effort and call around again and try to get 'er done.