PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Wheels/Suspension/Handling

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PT / SRT-4 Rear Sway Bar Question

 
Like Tree1Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 29 Feb 2008, 12:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 23
Question PT / SRT-4 Rear Sway Bar Question

Hi All,
I just bought my wife a 2008 Cool Vanilla PT. Let the mods begin!
I figured posting with the GT/Turbo crowd might be best for this question: My buddy has an SRT-4 that we replaced the front & rear sways on about a year ago. Does anyone know if the OEM SRT-4 rear sway will work on the rear of the PT?

Second question: I want to drop the back of my wifes car just a small amount (3/4-1") and was thinking of cutting the appropriate amount off of the top of the factory rear springs. I am a tech so no big deal for me to do this. I realize the spring rate wont change much which is fine as I wont be touching the front end at all. Has any done this to an OEM rear spring?

If anyone has OEM GT rear springs or a rear sway bar, please let me know as I would be interested.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 29 Feb 2008, 05:26 pm
Dream4's Avatar
Regular Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: ANNAPOLIS, MD, USA.
Posts: 150
Default Re: PT / SRT-4 Rear Sway Bar Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxam View Post
Hi All,
I just bought my wife a 2008 Cool Vanilla PT. Let the mods begin!
I figured posting with the GT/Turbo crowd might be best for this question: My buddy has an SRT-4 that we replaced the front & rear sways on about a year ago. Does anyone know if the OEM SRT-4 rear sway will work on the rear of the PT?

Second question: I want to drop the back of my wifes car just a small amount (3/4-1") and was thinking of cutting the appropriate amount off of the top of the factory rear springs. I am a tech so no big deal for me to do this. I realize the spring rate wont change much which is fine as I wont be touching the front end at all. Has any done this to an OEM rear spring?

If anyone has OEM GT rear springs or a rear sway bar, please let me know as I would be interested.

Thanks!
The front SRT4 sway bar will interchange, but the rear is completely different, and due to the so called "built in" bar in the rear axle beam you should not put a bar on the rear unless you upgrade the factory front bar to a stronger bar at the same time with a matched set, as this can cause "over steer', the rear bars were deleted starting with (I believe)the '03 model year, and no PT came with a rear factory anti sway bar since then, that is when they changed the design of the rear axle beam and said that there was a bar "built into" the new design.

I know many, many, PT owners on the Performance forums, and know of no one that has "Cut" the coil springs, I worked as a Auto tech for over 30 years and have seen what cut, or heated springs do to the handling of a car, (not good),and not reversible, as cheap as 1" to 2" drop springs are it is not worth the problems it could cause, a nice inexpensive fix is the Mopar Stage 1 springs for around $235.00 will lower the car about 3/4" to 1" and not give a harsh ride. you could put the rears in pretty quick and keep going, but with all 4 the car will not only look better, but will handle better.
__________________
'05 GT Dream Cruiser Series 4. No.1109
http://www.alcamar.com/mods/
http://www.alcamar.com/dc4
http://www.alcamar.com/trailer/
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 29 Feb 2008, 05:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 23
Default Re: PT / SRT-4 Rear Sway Bar Question

Thanks for the reply. I know that that rear suspension is different, but do you know for a fact that the rear bar is a different shape, has different mounting points, etc?
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 29 Feb 2008, 05:39 pm
Veteran Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Oregon.
Posts: 3,521
Default Re: PT / SRT-4 Rear Sway Bar Question

Since the part numbers are the same for '01 thru '03+ I still don't believe they changed anything in the rear axle for a built in bar. I owned an '01 with the factory rear sway and a '03 GT and '04 PT and stock for stock the '01 handled much better with the rear sway than either the '03 or '04 without rear sway. I'd still go with a bigger front sway when adding a rear, though, as Dream4 stated.

With all of the choices for lowering springs I'd never go ghetto and cut springs. Leave that for the ricers as they bounce down the road with cut springs on their stickered Hondas.
__________________
\'05 Stone White SRT4

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 29 Feb 2008, 05:52 pm
Dream4's Avatar
Regular Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: ANNAPOLIS, MD, USA.
Posts: 150
Default Re: PT / SRT-4 Rear Sway Bar Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxam View Post
Thanks for the reply. I know that that rear suspension is different, but do you know for a fact that the rear bar is a different shape, has different mounting points, etc?
Yes, the Neon/SRT4 & PT Cruiser rear sway bars are completely different as far as shape and attachment points. it will not fit. As for the new Caliber SRT4, I can not say. I am sure MeanGreen can tell you, as he has had both SRT4 & PT cars.
__________________
'05 GT Dream Cruiser Series 4. No.1109
http://www.alcamar.com/mods/
http://www.alcamar.com/dc4
http://www.alcamar.com/trailer/
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 29 Feb 2008, 06:01 pm
Veteran Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Oregon.
Posts: 3,521
Default Re: PT / SRT-4 Rear Sway Bar Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream4 View Post
Yes, the Neon/SRT4 & PT Cruiser rear sway bars are completely different as far as shape and attachment points. it will not fit. As for the new Caliber SRT4, I can not say. I am sure MeanGreen can tell you, as he has had both SRT4 & PT cars.
Yes, the OEM SRT-4 rear sway bar is different than the PT. I've got both my OEM SRT-4 sway bars still in my garage and the rear will not fit my wife's '04 PT. The fronts are interchangeable as I'm running with the larger PT convertible front sway on my SRT-4. I have the Neon ACR rear sway on the back of my SRT-4. SRT-4 folks call this the Welfare sway bar upgrade and it works great.
__________________
\'05 Stone White SRT4

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 29 Feb 2008, 07:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 23
Default Re: PT / SRT-4 Rear Sway Bar Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Green View Post
Yes, the OEM SRT-4 rear sway bar is different than the PT. I've got both my OEM SRT-4 sway bars still in my garage and the rear will not fit my wife's '04 PT. The fronts are interchangeable as I'm running with the larger PT convertible front sway on my SRT-4. I have the Neon ACR rear sway on the back of my SRT-4. SRT-4 folks call this the Welfare sway bar upgrade and it works great.

Thanks! - that is the answer I was looking for. I am very familiar with the 'welfare' package. I have been from many muscle cars > Buick Grand National > SRT-4 > Z06 Vette > whatever's next.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 03 Mar 2008, 02:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 23
Default Re: PT / SRT-4 Rear Sway Bar Question

If anyone still has an OEM PT rear sway bar they are not using any more, I would be interesting in purchasing.

Thx
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 03 Mar 2008, 03:18 pm
Veteran Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Oregon.
Posts: 3,521
Default Re: PT / SRT-4 Rear Sway Bar Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxam View Post
If anyone still has an OEM PT rear sway bar they are not using any more, I would be interesting in purchasing.

Thx
Might be able to find one on an '01 or '02 in a junk yard.
__________________
\'05 Stone White SRT4

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 03 Mar 2008, 05:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 23
Default Re: PT / SRT-4 Rear Sway Bar Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Green View Post
Might be able to find one on an '01 or '02 in a junk yard.
Yeah, I may have to go that route. I used to love to scour the bone yards in the old days. But these days, they are not that close and it is tough to take a day, spend $20 in gas just to find out they a shell of a car or one with no sway bar. Usually when I try to call around for parts, they will tell you they have the vehicle, but then won't look to see if it has the specific parts you are looking for. I emailed a few salvage yards aweek ago in my area that show that they have a PT and none of them bothered to email me back. I am going to make a renewed effort and call around again and try to get 'er done.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rear sway bar kit turbomangt Turbo Wheels/Suspension/Handling 10 05 Jul 2005 12:40 pm
Installed Eibach Anti Roll Kit(Front & Rear Sway) Gear_Head Turbo Wheels/Suspension/Handling 27 28 May 2004 02:05 am
Replace/install both sway bars or just rear? im4gzs Turbo Wheels/Suspension/Handling 11 23 Feb 2004 09:11 am
Suspension Techniques Sway Bars For the GT Turbo Gear_Head Turbo Wheels/Suspension/Handling 2 12 Sep 2003 02:51 am
Rear Sway Install Problem divots Turbo Wheels/Suspension/Handling 6 06 Jul 2003 01:57 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:17 am.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors