PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Wheels/Suspension/Handling

PT Cruiser Forum

REAR Sway Bar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Aug 2003, 09:21 am
Cool Cruiser

Default REAR Sway Bar

Ok guys I am a new owner and have gone to war with the "stealer" over the rear sway bar. I know it is a "new and improved" internal, but want to have fun with the stealer and Company Rep. I know I am going to loose but want to set the tone for all visits I have to make later. I just will not accept a service managers word. I told them I want in writing why it is listed on my sticker and is not there.

Now the question, is there an after market that includes ALL hardware?

Will I have buy parts from a stealer and the bar seperate?

It is a great car so far, wanna strut brace and the rear bar, new K&N drop in and a better muffler and think that will do it fo awhile, maybe the Turbo 1 upgrade after break in and above mods.

You guys are great and I really learned a lot on this form.

Old 17 Aug 2003, 10:57 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Although some will disagree with me, I would buy both the front and rear aftermarket bars or a matching set to make sure handling remains predictable, yet vastly improved.

To add a rear bar, you will have to buy from the dealer at least the retainer clamps that attach the bar to the axle, the end links and bushings, and the nuts and bolts. Do a search, believe Jody posted a list of parts and part #'s needed to install/add an OEM rear anti-sway bar to his PT. Rear aftermarket anti sway bars for the PT only include the bar and 2 bushings.
Old 18 Aug 2003, 02:51 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Original Equipment Rear Sway Bar = $125
After Market Set = $300+

Install on O.E. bar Driveway 1-2 hours max
Aftermarket at least twice (2 Bars)

The OE bar is already balanced with the O.E springs,shocks,and front bar.

Sway bars will make the ride rougher for the ammount of handling that you get more than any other item.
Springs may be variably wound (soft on the little stuf/hard on sway and the bug stuff).
Shocks may even improve the ride on the little bumps.
Old 22 Aug 2003, 03:23 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Kirby I have to disagree here...I think if someone is going to the expense of adding a rear sway without DC's help ,that one is much further ahead buying a matched set of bars ie addco,eibach,suspension techniques . I also disagree that bigger bars make a car ride rougher ...they make a car lean much less and have very little effect on over the road ride. I know you talk the vitures over koni shocks for over $500.00 for the cruiser but can't see spending $300.00 for a matched set of bigger sways. I don't want to argue with you just want to respectively state my opinion. I respectively say to you lets agree to disagree.
\'03 Electric Blue 5 speed GT, addco oversize sways,wildfire strut bar,color-matched rear muds,xenon sides/\"crusher\",mirrors,b&c pillars,both interior consoles,b&m sport shifter,autometer ultralite gauges,Mopar STG 1 ,booger shift bushings,mopar bov,AMX turbo up pipe,Prototype turbo ucp, 05 intake, map clamp
Old 08 Nov 2003, 08:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I just installed front and rear Suspension Techniques bars on my '03 and I can attest that they greatly improve the cornering. I picked ST as they were the largest and purchased them from RacerWheel (online) as they had the best price. Since I had no OEM rear bar, I got the rear mounting components from Mopar (thanks to GearHead's post for the parts list!) I investigated the Eibach kit but they were back ordered until the end of the month. There were no problems, but it is a two-person job. The complete cost was ~$350 and well worth it. I now enjoy driving the PT on twisty roads.
Old 08 Nov 2003, 09:31 pm
Cool Cruiser

LAF,

I had the Progress front and rear swaybars installed on my GT at Cruisin' Clarion II by Race and Street. They had the rear endlink kits available at the show. The only problem I have is the stock exhaust hanger (right behind the muffler) hits the driver's side rear endlink (cast iron piece?). I had a friend (with a lift) install a piece of rubber fuel line on the endlink to quiet the thunk when it hits. All of the sudden, that PT-Tuning dual exhaust system sounds like a great idea....

Scott

P.S.--Where in PA are you located? I am in Pittsburgh.
Old 18 Nov 2003, 04:25 pm
Regular Cruiser

Hey there Bud, I recently posted,'The Dealer Said' about my 03 and the rear sway bar NOT being there and being on the window sticker. I'm still hagling over this, but their (Dealer/Stealer) view on this is rediculous.....Check it out..Stew
Old 19 Nov 2003, 04:41 am
Regular Cruiser

The dealer/stealer wants $116.60 for the rear sway bar, and about 90-100 for all the ataching hardware, then the service dept., wants 2.3 hours or $168.00 for the install, for a grand total 388.00,(parts and labor).But if you can show them your window sticker on your 03, and it DOES state FT sway bar, RR sway bar, both included, bring this to their attention, show them your window sticker, and see how they squirm to evade your question. This is fricken rediculous, they know it should be there, and would MAYBE cost them around $250-275 MAx!!!
Good luck, and we'll see,......Stew
Old 19 Nov 2003, 11:44 am
Cool Cruiser

Started shopping for my own Christmas present. I want rear sway bar. So I get on here and start shopping and reading. After market kind of out of the budget, so I figure I'll call my dealer and see how much the factory one is, (better than nothing). Parts man there is the best I have ever seen. He runs the VIN. and says hey that under warranty, come in I'll get it ordered and we will put it on. I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. I will keep you all posted. I am not calling this a free one until I leave there with out paying a bill. Stay tuned.
03 Steel Blue Pearl Turbo, Stage 1, Mopar BOV, Magnaflow performance muffler, My Air Box mod., AMXpipe W/K&N filter, LED lighting,PT Tunning rear lowering springs & BGT Strut tower brace, Hankooks Ventus tires, Rage Motif 17 in. wheels. Tribal pinstrips by Palmer (who else), Color match paint by Etouchup.com, Plugs and wires by Sparkplugs.com, http://members.cardomain.com/rodrungtpt
Old 19 Nov 2003, 12:39 pm
Cool Cruiser

Damn!! the other shoe just fell, he found the TSB. Guess he can't hit them all out of the park.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RODRUN

Started shopping for my own Christmas present. I want rear sway bar. So I get on here and start shopping and reading. After market kind of out of the budget, so I figure I'll call my dealer and see how much the factory one is, (better than nothing). Parts man there is the best I have ever seen. He runs the VIN. and says hey that under warranty, come in I'll get it ordered and we will put it on. I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. I will keep you all posted. I am not calling this a free one until I leave there with out paying a bill. Stay tuned.
03 Steel Blue Pearl Turbo, Stage 1, Mopar BOV, Magnaflow performance muffler, My Air Box mod., AMXpipe W/K&N filter, LED lighting,PT Tunning rear lowering springs & BGT Strut tower brace, Hankooks Ventus tires, Rage Motif 17 in. wheels. Tribal pinstrips by Palmer (who else), Color match paint by Etouchup.com, Plugs and wires by Sparkplugs.com, http://members.cardomain.com/rodrungtpt