PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Wheels/Suspension/Handling

PT Cruiser Forum

New 20" Wheels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Oct 2010, 08:52 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default New 20" Wheels

Just sharing some pics. I'm finally back from a long and tiring project overseas and today I get to install my wheels. My original plan was to lower the ride but I failed to get Candyman's last set of super slammers =(

Now I am having a hard time looking for the regular Goldlines to get the ride even.

Some pics:

These are 20" (20x8.5) with 225/30R20 tires. To my surprise the ride is way smoother compared to my stock 17" with 205/50R17. Doubting myself, I had my brother drive it and he couldn't believe the change in the ride. Or maybe it's just us. I know everything will be different when I finally get it lowered. No rubbing at all - yet.

IDEAS ARE BULLETPROOF.
Old 29 Oct 2010, 09:16 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: New 20" Wheels

very nice, congratulations

Karen and Lil' Nilla
Old 30 Oct 2010, 03:33 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: New 20" Wheels

Hey their blackjersey,

Welcome Home! Looking good man! Those Wheels look really way cool on your PT!

I am not 100% sure, but that last set of my Electric Blue Metallic "Candy Drop" Springs with the full 3" / 5" drop may still be available to the right person if you still might be interested. Just let me know anytime and I can look into it and see if they still might be up for grabs. Just for quick reference, here are the exact Springs being shown as Prototypes for considerations at a private exhibition. They were removed right after, n WorldWoinf

Otherwise, I would still go for looking for the next best which would be the Goldline Super Slammers which will give you a 2.75" / 3.25" Drop which ought to close that wheel gap up fairly decently.

It would really be cool in a perfect world of course especially with 20"s to go ahead and set up an air ride system as that would get your ride looking way cool in a heartbeat, but it unfortunately isn't the cheapest thing to do, and definitely not the easiest, but I can make anything happen if need be anytime!

Here is a good example of a Custom PT riding on 20"s that is looking fairly decent overall. Air Ride for sure looks the most, but I know how budgets work as well for sure! Here is a PT rolling on 20"s with air ride set just about right as a good example.

Anyways, that.s my two cents for what its worth.

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing

Last edited by Candyman; 30 Oct 2010 at 10:30 am.
Old 30 Oct 2010, 02:47 pm
Senior Cruiser

Talking Re: New 20" Wheels

That looks NICE, blackjersey!!

I think the reason why the ride is smoother is because your tires are more than likely in the "performance" category because of the size. It would be ironic to have one of the most low-pro sizes to be considered as "all-season."

When I upgraded to 18"s from stock 15"s, I also noticed that the ride was smoother even though I was running a set of USED "ultra-high performance" tires.

Also IMO, I think a chrome grill will accent your rims!

Oh, and PS:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyman View Post
I am not 100% sure, but that last set of my Electric Blue Metallic "Candy Drop" Springs with the full 3" / 5" drop may still be available to the right person if you still might be interested.
Old 30 Oct 2010, 03:14 pm
Senior Cruiser

aHA! Were these the ones that you were mentioning in your old thread??

20x8.5 Wheels for 2004 PT GT
Old 30 Oct 2010, 11:15 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thank you!

Candyman,

Do you think the 3" / 5" drop can still accommodate my wheel size? I'm afraid it might me too low and I may have rubbing problems. I'm thinking of the regular GoldLine. Although it's hard to find it anymore. I just want the gap to go away. I also came across another forum thread and he is running 20" with 225/30R20 and lowered with regular goldline and seemed like the gap was dramatically reduced and the PT looked right. If super slammers can do it, i will look very hard for it!

I am actually gunning for the full retro grill and but will definitely look for the chrome accents. I know I saw that before. The wheels on the old thread actually came from my cousin but I doubted it will fit at that time so he sold it to another PT owner who said had problems with front left brake calipers hitting the inside of the rim when they installed the 20" but after it made a very thin "excavation" kinda like an etch to the rim (when you peek inside), it settled with no problems anymore. I think it had bad alignment of some sort.

So before I came back I ordered new set of wheels from Strada Wheels and bought a tire set. Mine is called Spina. It came with wheel locks. So far no modification, no rubbing, only rusted and squealing rotors hehe.

So yeah the ride is surprisingly better compared to my 17". I can vouch for that! I still know for a fact that i'm running on rubber bands, im always in the lookout for potholes and go easy on uneven roads.

IDEAS ARE BULLETPROOF.
Old 31 Oct 2010, 12:39 am
Senior Cruiser

You're going for the full retro grill as in PTeazer's? If so, that'll look pretty sick no doubt!

I dug up a few pictures for you that shows a PT with 20"s while on the Gold Line Super Slammers:

I forgot to ask you how you feel about cleaning all them spokes?
Old 31 Oct 2010, 04:02 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: New 20" Wheels

Hey their blackjersey,

Normally you can go all the way up to 19" without changing the overall stock dimensions of the Factory 15" through 17" Wheel. All that changes is the tire size to compensate. Also 19" Wheels will have no effect on the Speedometer as the overall dimensions are still the same. At 20", the Speedometer may be a bit slow by as much as 5-10 MPH so be careful around Law Enforcement till you know for sure, or have it calibrated.

As far as fitment, 20"s should fit with both my Candy Drops,or the Goldline Super Slammers. It is a tight fit, but should work. The only factors that may come into play especially on mine are how the bump stops are cut, the offset of the wheel, wheel width, and the size tire as mine are really close, but I have actually test fit 20"s with some of my Buddies who work over at KMC here in LA, and they fit just right with no rubbing so I know it will work even with mine.

The back is no problem. There is plenty of room to go way down. The front is the only potential issue. Depending on wheel width, you may run into some minor clearance issues on the back side of the wheel well when the wheels are turned all the way effecting your overall turning radius. This is a known problem depending on the offset of the wheel, and the width of the wheel being too close if over 8" in width instead of the standard 7.5". If by chance your wheels are 7.5" Wide, and correctly offset, you should have little to no issues with dropping your PT all the way and not have much if any clearance issues of any kind.

Even if you do wind up with some minimal clearance issues, a good professional Drop Shop should be able to trim, and compensate to make enough room to allow everything to work out so that any issue is resolved.

Once again, Air Ride is best for this purpose as you can lift your Ride to a good driving ride height to eliminate any issues and still drop it to the ground accordingly at the flip of a switch, and especially with going with 20" Wheels, I would so highly recommend this Mod at some point as it would make your PT look so much better overall! You do not need to go to the extreme like me and relocate your front Struts and rebuild your rear end to get your PT to lay on the ground, but to just drop it and tuck your 20"s would be pretty tight for sure!

I mean here is mine still riding on stock 17"s. Nothing special.

And a good Friend riding on 20"s with a custom set up tucking niely.

And here are my Springs sitting on 19" Wheels.

So anything is definitely possible given the right circumstances. Its all in how its put together that makes the difference. To me, Stance is a key issue in customization. It set the tone, the attitude of the project of which everything else can be dictated thereafter.

Anywayz, that is my two cents once again. I would personally go with either my Springs, or the Goldline Super Slammers, go to a good shop for the Install, and say " Make it work".That is the best wy to really get your ride noticed and stand out in the crowd for sure!

Go easy, best of luck in whatever you decide.

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 31 Oct 2010, 06:45 pm
Regular Cruiser

What a quick fix! That chrome grille sure looks pretty cool. Now you got me thinking. Instead of spending 1k on the retro grille, I can just have the stock front-end, put on that chrome grille and just get the $300 roll pan! In that way the car will look not that small (PT looks too compact with PTEazers on front and back) and get the dual borla exhausts. What say you?

Candyman,

I showed my boss (the wife) how much air system will cost. She said: "It's doable for the budget but how much to install them?" So there. lol. I have no clue. The only shop here in Jacksonville which I was told the best in car mods which is C and G Customs, Inc | Auto Body, Custom Paint, Classic Car restoration, Collision repair in Jacksonville, Florida said they can do it but they still need to inspect everything and quote me with the price. So far all my info which I tell them that it will be possible is coming from you =)

CORRECTION: My wheel size is 20x8 not 20x8.5. I verified that in the box.

So with your info, if 20x7.5 should have no problem, how about the 20x8 with goldline super slammers? I think my offset is 42... or something.

Now my problem is, GoldLine super slammers is very hard to find at this point. Can you recommend any online seller? I am hoping to get the PT lowered this week (since I got 10 days of vacation) before I go deep on work stuff again the following week.

Also about exhaust, since I have GT Turbo HO, what is the loudest deep tone I can install without creating back pressure or turbo lag? Im pretty confused with exhausts!

IDEAS ARE BULLETPROOF.
Old 31 Oct 2010, 11:44 pm
Senior Cruiser

I agree that having a PTeazer front fascia with the roll-pan does kind of "shrink" the PT when looking at it from certain angles. They probably help with parallel parking!

No disrespect to PTeazer, what-so-ever.

A chrome grille overlay will definitely look better on your PT than it does on the one I posted. Matching the grilles and wheels have been a trend. Have you checked these sites yet?

Grilles: Race and Street
Grilles
Chrysler PT Cruiser Grilles - Chrysler PT Cruiser Car Accessories - AutoTruckToys.com