PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Wheels/Suspension/Handling

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
front monroe quick strut??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Aug 2013, 07:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default front monroe quick strut??

I got an '05 PT Cruiser Touring with 95k and I've looked on the web about these quick struts and there is nothing about a PT Cruiser if they are good or not. The reason I am asking is because of the rear shock and spring set up is old style of a shock and spring and not a strut. Is it a good idea to mix and match? I plan on replacing the rear spring with the shock but I want to know about the front and what to do. This is not for performance this is for everyday not to lower or anything just get back to a good ride.
Old 11 Aug 2013, 08:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: front monroe quick strut??

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevink View Post
Is it a good idea to mix and match?
Not quite getting what your trying to say. All million and a half PT's from the very first to the last were built with struts up front and spring and shock in the back. In fact millions upon millions of other cars are the same way.

For everyday driving, if you think the struts or shocks are worn out, there's dozens of choices on the market for regular replacement struts and shocks.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 11 Aug 2013, 09:23 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: front monroe quick strut??

If your asking about Monroe shocks & struts being good,then the answer is YES!....There's a reason they've been around over a hundred years;As for the 'mix & match' thing,I think your asking if it's OK to mix brands?.....It really isn't critical about the brand that is put on the front ,or rear;The critical part is to always replace shocks or struts in pairs (front/front or rear/rear) of the same brand at the same time......If your asking about having shocks in the rear,and having struts in the front?...Vehicles have been being made that way for years,and it's worked just fine;I think you'll be OK.
Old 12 Aug 2013, 11:05 am
Senior Cruiser

The front struts can be replaced without replacing the springs. Front struts are sometimes disassembled and just the worn or failed pieces replaced. That's the way I've usually done it because I was also trying out different lowering springs. While everything was apart I just thought I might as well put in fresh top bearings and bumpers. But front struts are commonly sold as complete assemblies with the springs, ready to bolt in which makes it a 15 minute job. The assembled struts should be cheaper than buying all new individual pieces and putting together your own struts.

Like everyone has already mentioned, you can do just the front, just the back, just the shocks, just the springs or any combination. If you're doing only the front or only the back, it's a good idea to replace both sides on the same axle (Unless you're replacing fairly fresh but damaged parts due to an accident for example.)

The PT Cruiser shares a lot of parts with the Neon. The front struts are identical but the Neon has struts in the rear while the Cruiser has springs/shocks. This is to give the Cruiser a flat load floor to handle cargo, etc. The rear struts in the Neon stick up about a foot or more in the air behind the rear seats. The Neon is designed to haul a bag of groceries while the Cruiser is designed to haul the whole grocery store.
Old 12 Aug 2013, 11:59 am
Fresh Cruiser

I used the Monroe Quick Struts on my PT. It was a very simple removal and install. The hardest part about it is getting the two bolt holes, the ones that attach to the wheel hub, to line up. But with a large screw driver and a little bit of adjusting, its not hard at all. Just remember to tighten everything to the correct torque settings.
Old 12 Aug 2013, 02:47 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Cool Re: front monroe quick strut??

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2step View Post
If you're doing only the front or only the back, it's a good idea to replace both sides on the same axle (Unless you're replacing fairly fresh but damaged parts due to an accident for example.)
Or like one of our members last week,had a defective rear shock that had been squeeking,because of a bad valve inside.....So,it hadn't been on very long.(and was covered by lifetime warranty!)