PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Wheels/Suspension/Handling

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Difference between Turbo front brakes and non-turbo?

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Jul 2014, 12:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to NitroPT
Default Re: Difference between Turbo front brakes and non-turbo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post
Hehe sorry for the confusion guys. Just looking for all the info I can get to pack into my brain.

I wanted to order some new rotors from rockauto and I didn't want to order the wrong stuff. After learning that the turbo brakes are larger here, I then looked at the specs of every rotor on rockauto and found the ones that are larger and thicker. Looks like I will go with the Raybestos ones as the Wagner's are a lot more.

Thanks for the help guys!
Yes so this goes back to my first response.

Last edited by NitroPT; 28 Jul 2014 at 12:34 pm.
Old 28 Jul 2014, 12:56 pm
Senior Cruiser

Yup and also the 9 spoke 2007 PT wheels clear the turbo brakes. I bolted mine up and no interference with the calipers.
Old 28 Jul 2014, 05:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post
Yup and also the 9 spoke 2007 PT wheels clear the turbo brakes. I bolted mine up and no interference with the calipers.
2002 16" Dream Cruiser wheels also clear turbo calipers.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 25 Apr 2017, 11:47 pm
Cool Cruiser

Instead of starting a new thread, I searched the old threads and this one was the most relevant and current to converting non-turbo front brakes. Maybe my install below will help someone in the future.

Apparently my Turbo-lite was not ordered with turbo brakes. It came with rear drums and the smaller front discs aka n/a brakes. After considering drilled and slotted rotors or gold rotors or black rotors, I decided I would simplify and improve my front braking with Autozone lifetime turbo rotors and pads. I learned that I needed to also upgrade to turbo calipers to make it all fit together.

First pull off the old
Then put on the new rotor It is 5mm thicker to help dissipate heat and resist warping.

Then replace the old smaller non-turbo caliper with the new wider caliper Old measures 2.75" wide, not wide enough for turbo rotor and new padsnew measures 3" wideDo not, I repeat, do not attempt to remove metal from the smaller calipers to make the thicker rotors fit. It is unsafe and the piston will barely move. Best just to get the bigger calipers.

Lastly install the pads Notice how the turbo pad have a smaller overall contact area compared to the n/a pad

I found it interesting that the correct shims were included with the calipers (bottom shims in this pic)but the shims included with the new pads are too narrow, they are the same size as the n/a
Busted_PT and Carnut like this.

Last edited by 044400; 26 Apr 2017 at 12:35 am.
Old 26 Apr 2017, 06:54 am
Dedicated Cruiser

044400, your rotors won't have a lifetime warranty. The most warranty Autozone will give on ANY rotor is two years. The pads and calipers will carry the limited lifetime warranty. Even though I haven't worked for them in 18 years, I still remember that. In spite of having had two brain surgeries. Just don't ask me what I had for lunch yesterday. Can't remember that!
044400 likes this.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. Thomas Jefferson
Charlie
2003 PT GT 2.4 turbo auto stick

Last edited by chuzz; 26 Apr 2017 at 06:57 am.
Old 26 Apr 2017, 08:53 am
Cool Cruiser

Chuzz, nothing wrong with your long term Autozone memory. I stand corrected, everything is lifetime warranty EXCEPT the warp prone rotors.

The main reason I did this front brake job was due to warpage. I don't know what brand rotors and pads I just removed. The pads wore evenly and were down to about 50% but squealed like a pig no matter what remedy I tried. The high speed vibration was annoying.

FYI, last summer coming down Pike's Peak, the front rotors got over 500F. I was told to pull it over and wait for 30 minutes to let things cool off. Felt good to bleed all of that fluid out and replace the rotors.
Old 26 Apr 2017, 11:56 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Wow!! 500 degrees is awfully hot. What's the type of brake fluid you're using? I think the regular DOT 3 boiling point is pretty close to that. Silicone brake fluid might be the best alternative for you.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. Thomas Jefferson
Charlie
2003 PT GT 2.4 turbo auto stick
Old 26 Apr 2017, 10:06 pm
Cool Cruiser

I try to drive so that my brakes don't get very hot. But I can not control the overly cautious people in front of me. Followed by a half mile back up to the brake check point.

Dot 3 is fine with me as I don't race and only once went down a long mountain road.
Old 29 Apr 2017, 07:47 am
Cool Cruiser

Boiling points

Minimal boiling points for these specifications are as follows (wet boiling point defined as 3.7% water by volume):

Boiling point ranges

Dry boiling point Wet boiling point
DOT 3 205 C (401 F) 140 C (284 F)
DOT 4 230 C (446 F) 155 C (311 F)
DOT 5 260 C (500 F) 180 C (356 F)
DOT 5.1 260 C (500 F) 180 C (356 F)