PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Wheels/Suspension/Handling

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Difference between Turbo front brakes and non-turbo?

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Jul 2014, 07:18 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Difference between Turbo front brakes and non-turbo?

Hi guys, sorry if this has been answered. I tried to do a search and other than knowing some of the turbo cars had TURBO written on the calipers, I don't know what the difference is. Do the turbo rotors have a larger diameter? Thicker?
Old 27 Jul 2014, 07:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Difference between Turbo front brakes and non-turbo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post
Hi guys, sorry if this has been answered. I tried to do a search and other than knowing some of the turbo cars had TURBO written on the calipers, I don't know what the difference is. Do the turbo rotors have a larger diameter? Thicker?
It would be better to stay with the correct matched sets. Yes the size is different between the TURBO brakes and other brake calipers.

& ase =Already Seriously Experienced
Old 27 Jul 2014, 07:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The turbo rotors are thicker, and the calipers therefore stick out more, so wheels that fit a N/A cruiser may not fit a turbo on the front.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 27 Jul 2014, 08:43 pm
Senior Cruiser

Thanks both. That's the info I was looking for Don. My 03 Dream has the turbo calipers so I was wondering if simply the writing of turbo made them special, or if they were actually improved over the normal ones.

On my Intrepid the only difference between the performance package rotors and the regular rotors is the venting. The performance ones have vents opening on the wheel side and the regular ones opened on the car side, otherwise no difference.
Old 27 Jul 2014, 09:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: Difference between Turbo front brakes and non-turbo?

As the saying goes....
"If you got more "GO", you gotta have more "Whoa"!"

2010 Dodge Challenger SE as my day-driver.
2005 "Limited", Stage 1 Turbo Lite, the "Cowboy Cruiser".

Have now owned 5 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!

Last edited by soonercruiser; 27 Jul 2014 at 09:46 pm.
Old 27 Jul 2014, 10:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Mike I did not think you wanted to know if they would clear different application otherwise my response would have been:

The diameter of the rotors are larger on Turbo application so if you use a NA steel rim that has a smaller diameter than the chrome Turbo model wheels the caliper may hit the top of the inside of the band or rim of the wheel. I not going to mount an NA wheel tonight to tell you if it hit on the outside but guessing from the offset measurements I would "guess" not?

Last edited by NitroPT; 28 Jul 2014 at 12:35 pm. Reason: Removed picture
Old 27 Jul 2014, 11:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I believe Busted knows the answer to all this. It's seem like I read where he reported that the 15 inch steel rims would not clear the turbo rotors and calipers but the 16 inch chrome rims will. But he will need to confirm that.
Old 27 Jul 2014, 11:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The Stock 15" steel rims will fit over turbo calipers.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 27 Jul 2014, 11:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
The Stock 15" steel rims will fit over turbo calipers.
So you guessed about the clearance and than found a different answer to post ?typical

Last edited by NitroPT; 28 Jul 2014 at 12:36 pm. Reason: Removed picture to many DIY experts lol
Old 28 Jul 2014, 08:50 am
Senior Cruiser

Hehe sorry for the confusion guys. Just looking for all the info I can get to pack into my brain.

I wanted to order some new rotors from rockauto and I didn't want to order the wrong stuff. After learning that the turbo brakes are larger here, I then looked at the specs of every rotor on rockauto and found the ones that are larger and thicker. Looks like I will go with the Raybestos ones as the Wagner's are a lot more.

As well, my new 03 Dream didn't have the original 17" chrome wheels when I bought it. It has some cheap aftermarket 16's on it. I had previously bought a set of stock mint condition 16's from a 2007 cruiser, so I wanted to put those on as well. I forgot to actually post this part but Don read my mind! lol

Thanks for the help guys!

Last edited by myckee; 28 Jul 2014 at 08:53 am.