PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Wheels/Suspension/Handling

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
turbo wheel offset

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 May 2004, 11:05 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to dfunkdj
Default turbo wheel offset

Does anyone know what the offset is for the 17" wheels on a turbo Pt ????

Don
Old 19 Jun 2004, 05:21 am
Young Cruiser

I'm really confused on this one. Some people on this forum mentioned that the offset is 39 mm. However, Tirerack website (http://www.tirerack.com/upgrade_gara...&autoYear=2004) search utility suggests whells with 35 and 38 mm offsets for GT models. Is tirerack site incorrect or is this not simply 39 mm minimum? Some clear and definite inofrmation would be appreciated.
Old 19 Jun 2004, 08:06 am
Cool Cruiser

I believe that the +39 mm offset is correct. I currently use a wheel that has a +38 mm offset with no problems at all. I have seen the same range of +35 to +42 mm used for GTs. It all depends on the wheel design (brake caliper to spoke clearance).

IF you buy a wheel from either the Tire Rack or Discount Tire, they guarantee the wheel will fit as long as you buy from the list that is generated when you use "PT GT" or "PT Turbo" as your search criteria.

Hope this helps,

Scott
Old 19 Jun 2004, 08:32 am
Young Cruiser

Thanks for your answer, ElectricBlueGT, that helps. The wheels I liked had +38 offset, so I should be Ok then. Discountedwheelwarehouse.com (I'm not sure if that's the same as Discount Tire mentioned in your post) doesn't make a disctinction between GT and non-GT in their search engine though.
Also, my 2004 PT came with non-chrome wheels. You can see the pic of my GT here:
http://www.ptcruiserclub.ru/Graphics/Front-Close.jpg
I know that that's how they come in Europe. Does anybody know if there is a size/weight/etc. difference for wheels on European GT's? I realy like how the chrome wheels look on Electric Blue, so I want to get them for summer time and save the stock ones for winter.
Old 19 Jun 2004, 12:30 pm
Cool Cruiser

The link for Discount Tire is www.tires.com

Scott
Old 19 Jun 2004, 01:32 pm
Cool Cruiser

It is stamped on the wheel. 39-17x6J. 39mm offset, 17" dia., 6" wide. The offset is the distance from the mounting face to the center line of the wheel. So it is +39mm from where it mounts to the center of the wheel. The back space, from the mounting surface to the "inner" portion of the wheel lip is approximately 115 mm
Old 19 Jun 2004, 02:08 pm
Young Cruiser

so if I understand you correctly, +39 mm is acctually the offset of GT stock rims and not the minimum offset required for any aftermarket rims. What is the required minimum offset then? Or, as Scott mentioned, it can be anything, but whether it will fit or not will depent of the rim design?

Also, can anyone tell whether these wheels will fit on a GT (as I wrote earlier, this site doesn't distigush GTs). These are 17X7/+38
http://www.discountedwheelwarehouse....ShowLarge=True
Old 19 Jun 2004, 02:46 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

One of the ost important "Offsets" is the clearance for the brake caliper.
Old 21 Jun 2004, 05:11 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Kirby

One of the ost important "Offsets" is the clearance for the brake caliper.
Is there a spec or number which reflects this? I guess not. From which I conclude that it is not possible to determine whether a rim with the right bolt pattern will fit on a GT by simply looking at the specs, you have to actually try or ask someone who tried. Kind of complicated, isn't it?
Could anyone help me with those Eagle rims I mentioned in the pervous post? I sent a mail to the shop, but received no reply. I wonder if it's worth dealing with them after that.
Ptgtcb, can you tell me, where the specs are stampted on the stock wheel. I looked on mine and I haven't found them (although, as I mentioned, my wheels are different). I noticed that I have about 4-5 mm gap between the brake caliper and the rim.